[split] Keep returning to Religon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2014, 09:27 PM
RE: [split] Keep returning to Religon
(28-11-2014 08:50 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 04:09 PM)kim Wrote:  I have a friend with cerebral palsy ... his church advised him that he wouldn't have such a disease had he not sinned.

Really. Undecided

Once someone stoops that low... they are shit in my eyes. Drinking Beverage
A church like that gives True Christians a bad rap, and there are more churches out there than I want to admit that DO NOT FOLLOW the Bible, and these so called "religions" and their wrong beliefs are what non- believers thrive on. I would not go to that church if it was the last one on earth. we are suppose to "Love" thy neighbor, not hate. (please do not twist the word "Love" into something vulgar) thank you

Excuse me, but didn't you say that our dear original OP would "wind up like Stephen Hawking" if they kept micro-picking at things? You said that and if I wasn't on my lunch break needing to get back all fast like (plus dancefortwo already quoted that but methinks you conveniently over looked it) I'd quote that. That don't sound none too loving :/

[Image: notagain.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Miss Suzanne's post
28-11-2014, 11:09 PM
(27-11-2014 09:53 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  I am Christian, not religious but Christian, religion follows rules as Christians follow the teaching of Christ.
Things like this is why "Christian" becomes more and more synonymous with "fuckin' idiot' in my personal lexicon.

The teachings Christ, as they are presented in the Bible, includes rules to be followed by adherents. So yes if you DO follow the teachings of Christ you follow rules and by your (shitty) definition ARE therefor religious.

[Image: Screen-Shot-2014-02-10-at-11.18.24-AM1.png]
There is no part of the above that Christians do not profess to believe. Religion is not simply about "following rules" you simplistic plebeian.

(27-11-2014 09:53 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  I have never thought about leaving Christianity because, atheism or not believing, has never offered me anything but grief.
The fact it gives you grief says absolutely nothing about if it is an accurate reflection of reality or not. It does show that you care more about believing in what makes you happy then what is actually factually true. A cowards philosophy, one often repeated by people like you. There seems to be a heavy overlap of cowards and the stupid and it can be labeled "Christan" for convenience sake.

(27-11-2014 09:53 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  I can understand your doubt, do some unbiased research and you will find out that scientist every day are proving the scriptures are true.
Ah the old "do some unbiased research" bullshit which tacitly implies that any research that does not agree with you must be biased, removing the need for you to actually prove that it is.
The second part of that quote is just a flat out lie. Scripture has never once held up to serious investigation of any kind. Even people who believe the story routinely debunk parts of it on accident. It's so bad you can prove it wrong accidentally while trying to prove it right.
You claim this research is out there which means you have had to have read it, so why don't you provide your sources here. I'll wait.

(27-11-2014 09:53 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  Just a thought, why do non-believers want to attempt to down a believer.
Non-believers are not interested in bringing believers down, we are interested in bringing you, and the species as a whole, UP. I know that when you think the universe was made with you in mind you like to think it's all about you but it's not. We want to grab mankind by it's hand and pull it out of the toxic mess that is religion and build a world free of superstitious nonsense where people actually care if what they believe comports to reality.

We have our eyes set firmly on building a better, brighter, more intelligent future while people like you are looking backwards 2000+ years trying to glean knowledge from a group of people who lived in a time when they shit in their water supply and thought illness came from demons.

You are holding us back so please kindly lose your superstitions or shut your ignorance hole and get the fuck out of our way while we build a better future for your children.

(27-11-2014 09:53 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  If non-believers are right then we will all end up as worm food and that is it, but if I am right then where will the non believers be ?
You are implying that the only two answers at the table. What if you are wrong and Islam is right? Or Hinduism? You just automatically assumed you had the right god but what if...[Image: homer-simpson-wrong-god.jpg]

All that said what you just said is the argument of a coward, a man more concerned with playing the odds then having actual conviction. If your god can't tell the difference between men who believe cause they actually believe it and those who "believe" cause it's the best chance at "winning" your god is a simpleton.

The Simpleton God, God of Simpletons.

(27-11-2014 09:53 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  I would rather believe and be nice to people than not believe and be little people (not saying all non-believers are mean).
Being nice does not come from your religion, you are trying to connect qualities of character that are not entwined. There have been plenty of monstrous people who have believed and not been nice. Your morality and politeness, like that of everyone else, does not come from the Bible or your belief in Christ.

I do agree however that you are not saying that all non-believers belittle people. You don't have the balls for that so you just imply it like a lil' bitch. All of which says nothing about the truth of reality.

(27-11-2014 09:53 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  It doesn't hurt to believe in what we cannot see.
See? No, but that's vague to the point of worthless and it absolutely does hurt to believe in things without or against good evidence. Religiosity is the primary reason that American Science education is in an atrocious state. What you believe informs how you view the world and if the things you believe do not conform to reality then you are going to have problems because you live in reality.

Take for example your statement that scientists are proving the Scriptures correct. This is something you believe that is categorically not true and this belief has seriously effected your ability to apprise information in an accurate way. By trying to spread this false information you negatively impact the people around you.

These things are important. Very important if you want to live in a stable social environment.

(27-11-2014 09:53 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  Do you believe in Love ? You can't see, taste, hear it, do we REALLY know how it feels but we all have "faith" that it is there, Just as we believe in God
Love is an emotion that is clearly demonstrable under observational tests and is chemically well understood, we know how it works, why it works, and what causes it to stop or change. NONE OF WHICH can be said about "God" in any way shape or form, you are trying to play connect the dots with a blank piece of paper, God and love are not similar in form or function, in testability, experience, or the nature of the extraordinary nature of claims to their existence.
We do not have "faith" that it is there you disingenuous piece of shit, we KNOW it's there because we can demonstrate it's existence.

(27-11-2014 09:53 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  I believe that non believers fear the unknown and are envious that we Christians feel that way
Then you are both wrong AND patently stupid. It's not atheists that feel the need to invent a second existence after death that's nothing but bliss and all the things and people you lost given back to you yet even better that will last for ever and ever and eve for realsies.

Atheists when presented with the unknown attempt to discover it and expand our knowledge.
Believers when presented with the unknown just assert that it's not unknown, that they already have the information, and make up stories to comfort themselves.

You fear the unknown, we revel in it's discovery and understanding.

(27-11-2014 09:53 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  that is why they try to persuade us to leave Chritianity, they want us on their level and in doubt.
I'll only speak for myself on this one but I have never once tried to get someone to "leave Christianity", i have only ever tried to get them to understand logical reasoning, the value of evidence, and understand the importance of beliefs that reflect reality, not attempt to distort it. The fact that most people when they do these things end up leaving Christianity only speaks to how fragile and pathetic Christianity really is.
It's a weakness of your faith, not in our character.

Doubt and the questions that come with doubt are not a burden, they are a gift. They bring us closer to truth and force people like you to actually back up your bullshit.
A mind too small for doubt is no mind at all.

(27-11-2014 09:53 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  Sorry folks that is my 2 cents.
I want a fucking refund.

(27-11-2014 09:53 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  Now you can start the critizing.

You mean "correcting", obviously. Drinking Beverage

(27-11-2014 09:53 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  John, maybe something inside you is telling you that you rather like people than dislike them.
Yes indeed, I love how the Inquisition killed people by liking them to much, and that the Crusades were all about how friendship is magical and shit yo.

You're a fucking idiot and liking fucking idiots is not a godsdamn virtue.

(27-11-2014 09:53 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  t's called the "God" gene.
No it's not stop making up shit, you asshole.

(27-11-2014 09:53 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  You know what is right and wrong.

Yes, and you are wrong. Glad I could fucking clear that up for you. Drinking Beverage

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 12 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
29-11-2014, 01:04 AM
(28-11-2014 04:09 PM)kim Wrote:  I have a friend with cerebral palsy ... his church advised him that he wouldn't have such a disease had he not sinned.

Really. Undecided

It's worth observing that the people casting stones at the ill and vulnerable can only pretend to have a cure for what ails them. They simply do not possess access to divine power, or they could have cured your friend.

The gentle-hearted believers aren't doing much better, though. They tend to do less damage to civil society and are frequently in the front lines of initiatives that take Matthew 25:35-40 seriously -- Feeding the hungry, clothing the naked -- but they don't have the power to cure your friend either.

Thus, all this True Christian™ infighting has nothing whatsoever to do with who is "really" following Jesus. It's just damage control, unguent for the embarrassment and pain caused by sharing one's beloved philosophy with self-righteous bastards.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-11-2014, 01:37 AM

Really. Undecided

A church like that gives True Christians a bad rap, and there are more churches out there than I want to admit that DO NOT FOLLOW the Bible, and these so called "religions" and their wrong beliefs are what non- believers thrive on. I would not go to that church if it was the last one on earth. we are suppose to "Love" thy neighbor, not hate. (please do not twist the word "Love" into something vulgar) thank you

Oh for fuck's sake...

[Image: 8k2nGm2.png]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
29-11-2014, 04:14 AM
(28-11-2014 11:09 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 09:53 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  I can understand your doubt, do some unbiased research and you will find out that scientist every day are proving the scriptures are true.
Ah the old "do some unbiased research" bullshit which tacitly implies that any research that does not agree with you must be biased, removing the need for you to actually prove that it is.
The second part of that quote is just a flat out lie. Scripture has never once held up to serious investigation of any kind. Even people who believe the story routinely debunk parts of it on accident. It's so bad you can prove it wrong accidentally while trying to prove it right.
You claim this research is out there which means you have had to have read it, so why don't you provide your sources here. I'll wait.

The good captain is repeating a meme that I've heard in several churches over here in South Africa... The idea is that of course there are good scientists, good scientists are Christians, and good scientists know that the bible is true. I've heard probably the exact sentence repeated, that "scientists every day are proving the scriptures true". It's just a meme...

Christians lap this stuff up. There's no incentive for them to say "hang on a sec, this sounds dodgy, I wonder if what they're saying about proving the Bible correct is true"... and if they *do* choose to raise the issue their pastor can always point them at the latest issue of "Creation Science news" or whatever - which usually they'll be totally unequipped to debunk. It's just a pretty bad, sad situation Sad

On a side note I read your whole post and enjoyed it, but ol' Captain is just gonna TL; DR it IMO. Pity 'cos you made some very cogent points.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-11-2014, 04:26 AM
^He PM'd me this morning.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
29-11-2014, 04:27 AM
(29-11-2014 04:26 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  ^He PM'd me this morning.

The prat? Common troll tactic.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-11-2014, 04:39 AM
^Nah. I contacted him 'cause the thread hadn't been split yet. Call it naive optimism.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
29-11-2014, 06:31 AM
(29-11-2014 04:14 AM)morondog Wrote:  On a side note I read your whole post and enjoyed it, but ol' Captain is just gonna TL; DR it IMO. Pity 'cos you made some very cogent points.

I don't mind, its not really for him its more for the undecided out there. I have a good idea what his responses will be already ( if he even does) and I hold no illusions he will realize how wrong he is or even come up with a good argument.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
29-11-2014, 01:21 PM

Really. Undecided

the true Scotsman won't help you
there is no such thing as a true christian because there are so many denomination of Christianity arguing amongst themselves that they have absolute truth and every other denomination is wrong

why should every other religion be wrong except the one you were born in ?

your god is so loving that his holy book has a list of his "benevolent" actions
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/page/bible-atrocities
yes your gods word is filled with "love"

read Judges 1:19
Quote:Now the LORD was with Judah, and they took possession of the hill country; but they could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley because they had iron chariots