[split] LGBT+ Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2017, 09:07 AM
RE: [split] LGBT+ Jesus
(29-08-2017 12:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  What I don't understand is why you stupid fucks hang out here. Surely there's a stupid farm somewhere - some cesspit like 4chan - where you will find your rightful place?

It surely does seem like all the stupid seems to be congregating here recently. Between the religionists trolls and the right-winger jerks this place is really starting to stink.

And I get it that the right-wingers are feeling emboldened by the orange-utan, but must they *all* slither in here, spread their shit all over the place and then clutch at their pearls, insisting we comport ourselves with decorum and civility?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
29-08-2017, 09:19 AM
(29-08-2017 12:55 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  In fact, I'm actually one of the most intelligent people on the planet, believe it or not.

That actually could be true, depending on which planet you live on. If you inhabit one where you're the only one there, then potentially you could be right. If there is one other person on your planet, or maybe if you have a retarded sister, you most certainly are mistaken.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-08-2017, 12:06 PM
(29-08-2017 12:55 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  ...I'm smarter than anyone you know for sure. In fact, I'm actually one of the most intelligent people on the planet, believe it or not.

Ah- that must be why you've chosen to ignore Reltzik's post detailing why you are so wrong about LGBTQ acceptance, then, huh? Because a smart person would know when they've been schooled and move the fuck on. So uh... good work, I guess?

BTW, I'm still wondering the same thing he pointed out- "Why do you believe this?" Why do you believe that nonsense about LGBTQ acceptance? Evidence shows you to be wrong, so there must be another reason, I guess. Supposition? Misunderstanding some Biblical bullshit? Gays are icky?

Please, enlighten us.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
29-08-2017, 12:36 PM
(29-08-2017 12:06 PM)Emma Wrote:  
(29-08-2017 12:55 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  ...I'm smarter than anyone you know for sure. In fact, I'm actually one of the most intelligent people on the planet, believe it or not.

Ah- that must be why you've chosen to ignore Reltzik's post detailing why you are so wrong about LGBTQ acceptance, then, huh? Because a smart person would know when they've been schooled and move the fuck on. So uh... good work, I guess?

BTW, I'm still wondering the same thing he pointed out- "Why do you believe this?" Why do you believe that nonsense about LGBTQ acceptance? Evidence shows you to be wrong, so there must be another reason, I guess. Supposition? Misunderstanding some Biblical bullshit? Gays are icky?

Please, enlighten us.

It's been proven to be the "gays are icky" thing. The politics of disgust.
http://www.ted.com/talks/david_pizarro_t...of_disgust

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-08-2017, 01:46 PM
(29-08-2017 12:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(29-08-2017 12:06 PM)Emma Wrote:  Ah- that must be why you've chosen to ignore Reltzik's post detailing why you are so wrong about LGBTQ acceptance, then, huh? Because a smart person would know when they've been schooled and move the fuck on. So uh... good work, I guess?

Please, enlighten us.

It's been proven to be the "gays are icky" thing. The politics of disgust.
http://www.ted.com/talks/david_pizarro_t...of_disgust

That was absolutely fascinating- thank you for sharing! It explains a lot.
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
29-08-2017, 03:17 PM
(29-08-2017 12:06 PM)Emma Wrote:  

Please, enlighten us.

That's the most important question of all, really. WHY do people believe this stuff... whether "this stuff" his homophobic rhetoric, white-supremacist propaganda, 9-11 "truth" claims, or the King of Fake News's birther conspiracy theories.

One of the key factors of what it means to BE intelligent is the capacity to sort truth from fiction.

I call it a belief filter -- think of it like a water filter that you put around your beliefs, only instead of letting in water while filtering out impurities, it lets in true things into our beliefs while keeping out falsehoods. BOTH tasks are important if we are to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible (to plagiarize Dillahunty) and for an extra challenge it needs to sort between the two without an existing prior knowledge of what is or isn't true.

And when the belief filters aren't working -- when they're letting in falsehoods or keeping out truths -- it's time to fix or replace them.

Which brings me to something Emma said that I DISagreed with.

(29-08-2017 12:06 PM)Emma Wrote:  Because a smart person would know when they've been schooled and move the fuck on.

Now I'm pretty sure she said this with a bit of sarcasm and dismissal, but this is just not true. A smart person doesn't see green sludge coming out of their sink faucet and then just shrug and move on because they can't be bothered to do anything about it. A smart person does something about it, even if that something is to contact a professional and have them fix it.

The smart way to view getting schooled is as an opportunity to move from WRONG to RIGHT, to gain a permanent win from a momentary loss. Above all, it's a big red warning flag that it's time to take a good look at their belief filters and figure out why they're not working right. It's time to have a sit-down and think. WHY were they wrong? What caused them to believe these falsehoods in the first place? What warning flags did they ignore along the way? What questions can they ask in the future to keep this from happening again? How can their filters be improved?

Because improving filters improves intelligence. Having a policy of improving your filters whenever possible is a pathway to becoming smart in the first place.

And that's also the test for rationality. When faced with a lack of evidence for, and/or strong evidence against, their own beliefs, does this person have the humility and self-awareness to admit that they could be wrong, to learn the lessons from that moment and discard the falsehoods that they've clung to?

Or do they maintain their faith, despite that? Because when you get down to it, that's what faith -- not just keeping-a-promise-faith or trusting-someone-else-faith but thinking-it-true-through-strength-of-conviction-alone-faith -- is all about.

So that's the real question. What's Angra using for a belief filter? Why did Angra believe this at all?
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
29-08-2017, 03:37 PM
(29-08-2017 03:17 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Which brings me to something Emma said that I DISagreed with.

(29-08-2017 12:06 PM)Emma Wrote:  Because a smart person would know when they've been schooled and move the fuck on.

Now I'm pretty sure she said this with a bit of sarcasm and dismissal, but this is just not true. A smart person doesn't see green sludge coming out of their sink faucet and then just shrug and move on because they can't be bothered to do anything about it. A smart person does something about it, even if that something is to contact a professional and have them fix it.

The smart way to view getting schooled is as an opportunity to move from WRONG to RIGHT, to gain a permanent win from a momentary loss. Above all, it's a big red warning flag that it's time to take a good look at their belief filters and figure out why they're not working right. It's time to have a sit-down and think. WHY were they wrong? What caused them to believe these falsehoods in the first place? What warning flags did they ignore along the way? What questions can they ask in the future to keep this from happening again? How can their filters be improved?

Because improving filters improves intelligence. Having a policy of improving your filters whenever possible is a pathway to becoming smart in the first place.

And that's also the test for rationality. When faced with a lack of evidence for, and/or strong evidence against, their own beliefs, does this person have the humility and self-awareness to admit that they could be wrong, to learn the lessons from that moment and discard the falsehoods that they've clung to?

Or do they maintain their faith, despite that? Because when you get down to it, that's what faith -- not just keeping-a-promise-faith or trusting-someone-else-faith but thinking-it-true-through-strength-of-conviction-alone-faith -- is all about.

So that's the real question. What's Angra using for a belief filter? Why did Angra believe this at all?

Ha- yes, I was being sarcastic- rather clumsily. Because I don't actually believe that. It was a mix of cynicism, too. This person has posted several times since your post, but they have not addressed the very pertinent information and questions your posted. Instead, they'd rather squabble about inanities such as "Who is smart than whom" and "Who said what thing", etc. So the suggestion that they were the most intelligent while also not responding to an intellectually challenging post that gets to the core of their original input into the thread made me roll my eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
29-08-2017, 04:12 PM
(29-08-2017 03:37 PM)Emma Wrote:  
(29-08-2017 03:17 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Which brings me to something Emma said that I DISagreed with.

Ha- yes, I was being sarcastic- rather clumsily. Because I don't actually believe that. It was a mix of cynicism, too. This person has posted several times since your post, but they have not addressed the very pertinent information and questions your posted. Instead, they'd rather squabble about inanities such as "Who is smart than whom" and "Who said what thing", etc. So the suggestion that they were the most intelligent while also not responding to an intellectually challenging post that gets to the core of their original input into the thread made me roll my eyes.

My honest opinion? Personally, I think it's a child without enough sense or experience to know how stupid they sound making such claims.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
29-08-2017, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2017 04:34 PM by JesseB.)
Here's a story

I knew this guy Tyler, He was for a short time kinda a friend. We met on PSN lived close enough to each other met a few times, we both liked games and Anime and that's about where the similarities ended. The problems started when I moved to Texas, he had also moved to Texas so I roomed with him for a while (we had another roomate for a short time but I don't even want to get into that cluster fuck). Now I always knew Tyler was stupid, but fuck I don't really care that much usually. He was bright and happy all the time n shit, not a big deal. Or so I thought.

When we roomed together he would spend nearly all his free time laying naked in his bed watching children's cartoons and playing with himself. And he wasn't much for shutting doors. He would watch TV shows and talk to me about them and it was clear he had no understanding of what it was he was watching. He was only picking up the most superficial obvious points. He also had a fun little habit of spending all his fucking rent money on damn fucking stickers for his fucking car. Then would come to me and say "Hey um... I don't have any rent this month..." OH Fuck my life this shit bag. Needless to say I started getting a bit mean with him, teasing him, I mean I don't think him being stupid was entirely his fault. I think he legitimately had a well below average IQ. This wasn't helped by the fact his parents were fucking rich and would never require him to get his shit together. However he was pissing me off all the time so I was mean. Prolly more so than I should have been. Anyway he got in this bad habit of trying to prove to me he wasn't stupid. Bad idea, it was about as easy to demonstrate he was in fact stupid as it is for that Angra Mainyu person. Only with Tyler I could laugh in his fucking face. If he hadn't been dicking me on rent I would have felt bad, it was clear it hurt his feelings. Clearly hurt feelings wasn't enough for him to pay the damn rent (which at that time was all I wanted from him), I made it clear I would be nice to him the moment he got his shit together and started paying his share of the rent. Till then I'd make fun of him as much as I want. We were still sorta friends but it was strained, and one night he got really drunk and said some shit to me that turned a shit situation just fucking nasty. I always thought he was like gay or not interested in girls like semi asexual or something, no idea. NOPE He just never talked about girls because the only girls he liked to fuck were ones that had too much to drink and were passed out. And the dumb mother fucker told me this to my fucking face. I called him on it. I called him a rapist. He got sick of hearing that and tried to take a swing, at which point I beat the living shit out of him and kicked him out of my house. I never talked to him again after that night.

Edit^ OH and I told everyone we fucking knew that he's a rapist. Lot of people like me knew there was something wrong with him, but like me were trying to give him a break, that was until we found that out.

Anyway, he communicated in the same manner as Angra Mainyu; so when I hear Angra Mainyu talk I can't help but think they are prolly at about the same low intellectual developmental level.

And I hope it's because Angra Mainyu is a child and not like Tyler.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
29-08-2017, 04:35 PM
(29-08-2017 03:17 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  One of the key factors of what it means to BE intelligent is the capacity to sort truth from fiction.

This is also the cornerstone of wisdom. You can be incredibly book-smart, but that isn't going to get you anywhere if you don't apply that intelligence in service of reality and common sense. A smart person with a broken pipe can easily find Plumbing DIY sites on the Internet. A wise person can determine whether it's worth attempting a fix, or cheaper in terms of time, money and effort to call a professional and get it done.

And somewhere in the interface between those two positions, ego gets to have a say. Intelligence + Ego says "I can do this myself. I don't need help." Wisdom says "It's Sunday night, the hardware store is closed, I have to be up for work at 6:00, and we have house guests flying in tomorrow evening," and dials the plumber.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post