[split] LGBT (sub)section?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2017, 11:55 AM
RE: [split] LGBT (sub)section?
(14-06-2017 11:46 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 11:41 AM)julep Wrote:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati...102110520/

According to this article: more than 100 anti-LGBT bills introduced in 29 states in the first five months of this year.

220 anti-LGBT bills were introduced in 2016. Four of them passed.

Yes, that's a small proportion, relative to the number of bills proposed, but that's four new anti-gay laws that didn't exist before, for a net erosion of rights.

The flood of bills is considered to be a reaction to the SCOTUS same sex marriage decision.

Do you know what the bills entailed?

It's a short article without a paywall and well worth reading for yourself, but here are a couple of quotes:

"Religious exemption bills made up the bulk this year: 45 bills introduced in 22 states. Those bills would let people, churches and sometimes corporations cite religious beliefs as a reason not to enforce a law, such as declining to marry a same-sex couple.

Of the six total bills that did pass in 2017, four of them provided religious exemptions. Two of them, for example, in South Dakota and Alabama, would let state-funded adoption and foster agencies refuse to place children with same-sex couples."

T"he transgender community was singled out, MAP research shows, with 39 bills introduced in 21 states: from banning transgender people from using restrooms that match their gender identity to preventing them from obtaining accurate documents like driver’s licenses."

Does where you live dictate what protections you have? If you're part of the LGBT community, the answer is yes, MAP’s Goldberg said. But the dynamic is complicated.

“'It used to be simply that you you’d cross the border from a state where you could get married to one where you can’t,” she said. 'But now you can go from being protected in the workplace by a state law to not being protected by a state law … or a transgender person who can use a restroom in school, and in the next state you can’t.'"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
14-06-2017, 12:08 PM
So, because there are problems in a place and people are no longer being chemically castrated - how dare they want to express themselves in a peaceful way that's not hurting anyway and which all sorts of other groups use, as well?

Got it.

Facepalm

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2017, 12:25 PM
I'm very lucky in my state that they allowed me to change both my name and gender marker legally. I had to change my gender marker with the Social Security Office first, though. And in order to change it with the Social Security Office, I needed to change it on my Passport first. In order to change it on my passport, I needed a letter from my licensed doctor stating that I was receiving treatment for transition from male to female.

If I didn't change my gender marker on my license then I could face discrimination and/or abuse if I ever get pulled over or stopped by the police. I could still face that, but it's a bit less likely now. The possibility genuinely frightens me.

In order to change my name, I needed to have a judge approve and sign off. But first I had to get my finger-prints taken at a Sherrif's Office, get a letter of support from my doctor and a letter of support from my therapist.

If I don't change my legal name, then I can't change it on my credit/debit cards. And every time I make a transaction with those cards, I risk being outed in a very conservative part of the country. That's multiple times a day, usually. For trans people, that's a very real risk. Especially if you need to use a public toilet at any point after you've been outed.

I'm very lucky, though. I've received more positive or indifferent treatment than negative. Not so for all trans folks, though. I'm also lucky because I "pass".
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
14-06-2017, 12:44 PM
(14-06-2017 10:51 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 10:13 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  Firstly, I would like to point out that I am not "stuck in my ways" as your response implied. I would care to have my arguments to be improved upon, should I deem it valued.

While I'm sure that they help people feel like they are apart of a community and helps them feel like they can be who they are I don't see how this cannot be achieved with simple acceptance of the LGBT in majority. If most people would look at you no differently than you are then what's the point in partaking in, for lack of a better term "self segregation". I know we do this with a lot of things in our lives, philosophical dispositions being one, being on an atheist forum another. But surely, you can see that these are not fundamental biological principles? They are viewpoints. Why not have the parades be that of "egalitarianism" or something of the sort to stand for equality if that is what they are for?

It doesn't create it, no. But at this point it seems to exacerbate it. Perhaps not specifically to myself, but an internet search will prove that this "us and them" perspective is prevalent because of this issue in particular.
I simply want everyone to view each other as "normal". Which is where I feel Muffs stands on the topic and others here on the forums. Making it "LGBT people" and not "people" is where I start to be concerned generally.

And, for the record, I have no solution to this problem other than good ole debate and hearty discussion.

You're right, I shouldn't have implied that you are stuck in your ways- I'm sorry for that.

However, I disagree that Pride events are self-segregating. Everyone is welcome at Pride so long as they aren't going to assault people. There is no LGBT-status verification or anything like that. Everyone is welcome to come and celebrate, drink, party, whatever. It's individuals themselves who may choose not to attend for reasons of being against that group. Aren't they the ones self-segregating?

And I disagree that debate and discussion is enough to change other peoples' thoughts on LGBT people. It's a part of the approach to change and improve situations for us.

I go to Pride events and I'm straight. To me, they really are for anyone (regardless of sexuality) who supports and advocates equality for all.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-06-2017, 01:27 PM
(14-06-2017 09:13 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 09:11 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  Also, if the only way to "win" this fight is to stop murders, hate, and general bigotry then it will never win. Nothing will ever win. Not LGBT, not race predjudices, not chauvinism, not anything.

Even though I disagree with a bigot I still respect his/her right to think what they think.
Obviously a line is crossed when violence or slander enter the picture.

For the record, I'm not a bigot.
Aids and her cronies try to make me out to be because I champion free speech and true equality and that goes against their desire for LGBT people to get special treatment. Also, I'm gay myself.

Aids is just being his usual aids self.

You don't give a shit about equality. You can't handle people who disagree with you. You just called someone a tranny for no reason. Fuck you.

14-06-2017, 05:04 PM
(14-06-2017 01:27 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 09:13 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  For the record, I'm not a bigot.
Aids and her cronies try to make me out to be because I champion free speech and true equality and that goes against their desire for LGBT people to get special treatment. Also, I'm gay myself.

Aids is just being his usual aids self.

You don't give a shit about equality. You can't handle people who disagree with you. You just called someone a tranny for no reason. Fuck you.

It's dead, let it go you fucking turd everyone else has.

[Image: oscar.png]
14-06-2017, 05:26 PM
(14-06-2017 12:08 PM)Vera Wrote:  So, because there are problems in a place and people are no longer being chemically castrated - how dare they want to express themselves in a peaceful way that's not hurting anyway and which all sorts of other groups use, as well?

Got it.

Facepalm

Except it's not so. It causes a rift. The point of fighting for as long as everyone has is to allow to be "normalized" it cannot be "normalized" if we celebrate it.
14-06-2017, 05:32 PM
(14-06-2017 11:55 AM)julep Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 11:46 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  Do you know what the bills entailed?

It's a short article without a paywall and well worth reading for yourself, but here are a couple of quotes:

"Religious exemption bills made up the bulk this year: 45 bills introduced in 22 states. Those bills would let people, churches and sometimes corporations cite religious beliefs as a reason not to enforce a law, such as declining to marry a same-sex couple.

Of the six total bills that did pass in 2017, four of them provided religious exemptions. Two of them, for example, in South Dakota and Alabama, would let state-funded adoption and foster agencies refuse to place children with same-sex couples."

T"he transgender community was singled out, MAP research shows, with 39 bills introduced in 21 states: from banning transgender people from using restrooms that match their gender identity to preventing them from obtaining accurate documents like driver’s licenses."

Does where you live dictate what protections you have? If you're part of the LGBT community, the answer is yes, MAP’s Goldberg said. But the dynamic is complicated.

“'It used to be simply that you you’d cross the border from a state where you could get married to one where you can’t,” she said. 'But now you can go from being protected in the workplace by a state law to not being protected by a state law … or a transgender person who can use a restroom in school, and in the next state you can’t.'"

I was only asking because I couldn't view the article in my browser because my computer hates it for some reason. Laugh out load

So, allowing people to deny people the right to say marry?
Shouldn't that be so? Hear me out.
I think that should something correlate with someone's religious beliefs they shouldn't HAVE to do it. It is just as easy to find a new pastor, or a new cake maker, or a new venue. And if anything, it works out in their favor because should people dislike the fact that say the cake store denied the request to make a cake for a same-sex wedding then they can boycott it as well. It only really hurts them in the end, they're basically saying "we don't want your money" by not being impartial. I don't think they are anti-LGBT, I think that they are pro-having the right to choose. In this case people choose to not support the LGBT.

It is on an individual scale. "I may not agree with what you say but I will die to defend your right to say it", sort of thing.
14-06-2017, 08:47 PM
(14-06-2017 05:04 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 01:27 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  You don't give a shit about equality. You can't handle people who disagree with you. You just called someone a tranny for no reason. Fuck you.

It's dead, let it go you fucking turd everyone else has.

Not going to let this go, snowflake.

14-06-2017, 09:27 PM
(14-06-2017 08:47 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 05:04 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's dead, let it go you fucking turd everyone else has.

Not going to let this go, snowflake.

Why? You lost. There's not gonna be an LGBT subforum, get over it.

[Image: oscar.png]