19-06-2017, 12:44 PM
RE: [split] LGBT (sub)section?
But I won't stop asking questions.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
19-06-2017, 12:53 PM
(19-06-2017 12:41 PM)Emma Wrote:  FWIW, I noticed the drama king thing, but I chose not to say anything about it. It makes me roll my eyes, but whatever, it was a stupid little jab and I didn't want to detract from the conversation by acknowledging it.

Quite so. Smile
19-06-2017, 12:56 PM
(19-06-2017 12:44 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  But I won't stop asking questions.

I encourage you to not to. That's what debate's all about. Big Grin
19-06-2017, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2017 11:05 PM by Dark Light.)
(19-06-2017 12:09 PM)Emma Wrote:  Maybe you would explain your situation then?

If I didn't already make it clear, I'm not interested in doing that. My personal hurdles are irrelevant as I do not advocate for special protection/special treatment.

(19-06-2017 12:09 PM)Emma Wrote:  Because you're suggesting that everyone faces the same level of difficulty in potential employment bias if they are educated properly.
No, I'm not. You're reading something that isn't there.

(19-06-2017 12:09 PM)Emma Wrote:  It sure sounds like you don't recognize that bias exists and makes life more difficult for some than others.
To you, maybe. I did not say that, imply that, or use any intonation that would lead to that conclusion.

(19-06-2017 12:09 PM)Emma Wrote:  The non-sequitur is that you've said that LGBTQ people in other parts of the world have it worse than we do here, so we should accept our lot here as it is.

This is a flat out lie. Find the quote where I said that and I will change, my signature to that.

(19-06-2017 12:09 PM)Emma Wrote:  And you are right, I did make assumptions.

Yes.

(19-06-2017 12:09 PM)Emma Wrote:  I'm not confused about the differences between equity and equality. Maybe I have equal rights (we can both be fired for any reason, were we both living and working in Florida), but I do not have equity in applying for a job.

Equality and equity are opposing forces. In order to have equity you must discriminate. Equity is a heaping pile of shit.

(19-06-2017 12:09 PM)Emma Wrote:  Assuming a cis-het white male applies for a job, he will face less bias in their potential selection than I would, hypothetically, were the employer aware of my trans status (and they would become aware, because previous employers have my job history under my dead name). Now an employer has to decide if it's going to be too much risk or too much trouble to have a trans person working there- that is, if they aren't immediately disgusted by my mere existence.

On average, you're right. You would be more likely to face discrimination for that reason. And I would use my free-speech to change people's minds about discriminating based on such things.

(19-06-2017 12:09 PM)Emma Wrote:  I would rather it not be an issue in my employment whatsoever, but it is by necessity. And living-wage jobs aren't a dime-a-dozen where I live and in my industry/skill set.

Improve your skill set. Move into a more promising industry. Build a reputation.

(19-06-2017 12:09 PM)Emma Wrote:  But just the same as you, if I lost my job, you can bet I would make something work. I'd do whatever it took to keep my bills paid (aside form sex-work and illegal stuff).

That kind of tenacity is all it takes. Thumbsup

And the King/Queen thing was a joke at your expense. If you search for my username and "Hillbilly" you are sure to find dozens of jokes at my expense. It's just jokes.

(19-06-2017 12:11 PM)Emma Wrote:  
(19-06-2017 11:53 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Would you be interested in recording a Skype debate/conversation regarding this topic sometime? If you're interested PM me and I'll set it up and post it on TTA. I think we could come to a better understanding with an actual conversation. Anyhow, the offer is out there.

I'll keep it in mind, but I'm a better writer than speaker and would struggle to communicate effectively by voice so I'm unlikely to take you up on that offer. Talking is not my strong-suit.

I'm disappointed, but unsurprised. However, if you change your mind, I'm still willing.