[split] LGBT (sub)section?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2017, 09:19 AM
RE: [split] LGBT (sub)section?
(14-06-2017 09:12 AM)julep Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 09:01 AM)Emma Wrote:  It's not done though. Marriage equality was achieved in the US, sure. But it's not "done". LGBT people still have to deal with living in a hostile country in the US. People still get beat up for being gay or trans. People still get murdered for it. People still get beat up and murdered for being black, too.

It's far bigger than simply marriage equality.

Not to mention the recent bunch of state legislation attempting to allow religious people in every field to discriminate against LGBT. Not to mention also that the reason many Trump voters give for supporting him is the judges he's going to appoint--judges' ruling these kinds of laws unconstitutional have been the most effective obstacles to their being enacted. And finally, not to mention that further executive orders in this area have been hinted at--dogwhistles to the fundies to be patient, they'll "get their country back."

I would refer to what is currently going on in the U.S. with Betsy DeVos. When asked about equal treatment of transgender students in public and private schools she may have a backwards opinion but congress members continuously call her out on her bigotry and stupidity.

Bigoted people might gain office, sure, but now that things are the way they are I'd find it quite difficult for anyone to get their agenda actually out to where it could do sincere harm (that is, of course, other than to their own reputation.)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2017, 09:21 AM
(14-06-2017 09:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 09:16 AM)Emma Wrote:  For the record, I don't think she was calling you a bigot.

I was preempting before you and your aids cronies "maliciously" and falsely accuse me of such things.

I'm curious when I got cronies?! That sounds fun. Who are my cronies?? Ohmy
14-06-2017, 09:23 AM
(14-06-2017 09:21 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 09:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I was preempting before you and your aids cronies "maliciously" and falsely accuse me of such things.

I'm curious when I got cronies?! That sounds fun. Who are my cronies?? Ohmy

Aids, you know exactly who I'm talking about.

[Image: oscar.png]
14-06-2017, 09:23 AM
(14-06-2017 09:16 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 08:56 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  It's unneeded. It's like celebrating the fact that you're black after the slave trade.

I'm the farthest thing from a bigot that you can get, genuinely. I cheered when the supreme court allowed gay marriage. I'm happy that everyone can be as they are, but it's pointless to draw attention to the fact after the war was fought and won.

I'm not saying you shouldn't remember the slave trade, or remember being oppressed for years and years out of time. All I'm saying is that it is done. Don't confine yourself to just one thing that you are. I also understand that sexuality is quite pivotal to self-realization and development but why should it be, in particular, be one of the major things we should associate with a person?

I don't think it's about confining yourself to one thing. I think it's about being proud of who you are as a person--after years of people telling you you shouldn't be, after years of people telling you you are less than. The flag is a way, a symbol to stand together and say "I'm proud of who I am." A symbol for those with LGBT friends and family to say "I support and love you for who you are."

I don't think by waving a pride flag that means you are only that one thing. When I see the flag, I see families, I see community members, I see my neighbors. I don't just say Oh, thy're LGBT, don't need to know anything else about them 'cause that's apparently all there is Tongue

I see your point and I acknowledge that it is fair. When I said "confining yourself to one thing" I meant more or less taking one specific aspect about your character and parading it.

But, honestly, shouldn't we now, treat everyone's sexuality with indifference? I get that people should be comfortable and happy with their sexuality but now that things are pretty much settled in the department why do we still have to look at the subject with reverence?
14-06-2017, 09:29 AM
(14-06-2017 09:19 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 09:12 AM)julep Wrote:  Not to mention the recent bunch of state legislation attempting to allow religious people in every field to discriminate against LGBT. Not to mention also that the reason many Trump voters give for supporting him is the judges he's going to appoint--judges' ruling these kinds of laws unconstitutional have been the most effective obstacles to their being enacted. And finally, not to mention that further executive orders in this area have been hinted at--dogwhistles to the fundies to be patient, they'll "get their country back."

I would refer to what is currently going on in the U.S. with Betsy DeVos. When asked about equal treatment of transgender students in public and private schools she may have a backwards opinion but congress members continuously call her out on her bigotry and stupidity.

Bigoted people might gain office, sure, but now that things are the way they are I'd find it quite difficult for anyone to get their agenda actually out to where it could do sincere harm (that is, of course, other than to their own reputation.)

The problem is that their policies do real and actual damage to people. You might not think so, but they do.

It's not just "politics", their policies actually do affect people. And Betsy being called-out doesn't mean she will actually listen or change her approach. She doesn't have to protect LGBT students from discrimination if it's not law. Marriage equality can still be overturned- though it's not likely at this point. It's still legal in many states to fire someone for being LGBT. Where I live, in Florida, I could get fired because I'm trans. The "bathroom bills" being put forward all over the country actually harm people and they make bathrooms a dangerous place for trans people to go. And not just trans- cis people that might "look trans", too.

There are plenty of legislative problems out there for LGBT people. It's not a settled issue. And yes, the goal includes trying to eliminate violence against LGBT people. Sure, it will never totally go away, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't aim for that and hopefully reduce it as much as is possible.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
14-06-2017, 09:30 AM
(14-06-2017 09:23 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 09:21 AM)Emma Wrote:  I'm curious when I got cronies?! That sounds fun. Who are my cronies?? Ohmy

Aids, you know exactly who I'm talking about.

Actually, I don't. Teach me, senpai.
14-06-2017, 09:31 AM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2017 09:36 AM by jennybee.)
(14-06-2017 09:23 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 09:16 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I don't think it's about confining yourself to one thing. I think it's about being proud of who you are as a person--after years of people telling you you shouldn't be, after years of people telling you you are less than. The flag is a way, a symbol to stand together and say "I'm proud of who I am." A symbol for those with LGBT friends and family to say "I support and love you for who you are."

I don't think by waving a pride flag that means you are only that one thing. When I see the flag, I see families, I see community members, I see my neighbors. I don't just say Oh, thy're LGBT, don't need to know anything else about them 'cause that's apparently all there is Tongue

I see your point and I acknowledge that it is fair. When I said "confining yourself to one thing" I meant more or less taking one specific aspect about your character and parading it.

But, honestly, shouldn't we now, treat everyone's sexuality with indifference? I get that people should be comfortable and happy with their sexuality but now that things are pretty much settled in the department why do we still have to look at the subject with reverence?

But they're not settled in that department. There are still LGBT issues with discrimination, still people living in fear to be themselves in various parts of the country and world. My bf, who is an attorney, represented a trans woman not that long ago over a ridiculous case. Ridiculous in the sense, that no other groups of people would have been subjected to it, it would have been a non-issue.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-06-2017, 09:32 AM
(14-06-2017 09:23 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 09:16 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I don't think it's about confining yourself to one thing. I think it's about being proud of who you are as a person--after years of people telling you you shouldn't be, after years of people telling you you are less than. The flag is a way, a symbol to stand together and say "I'm proud of who I am." A symbol for those with LGBT friends and family to say "I support and love you for who you are."

When the issue is actually no longer an issue (that is when LGBT people are no longer marginalized or mistreated) then Pride will likely no longer be useful or necessary. But we're far from there yet.

Depression and suicide rates among LGBT people are still significantly higher than those of cis-het (cisgender heterosexual) people.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
14-06-2017, 09:35 AM
(14-06-2017 09:30 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 09:23 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Aids, you know exactly who I'm talking about.

Actually, I don't. Teach me, senpai.

Oh right, the tiny brain.
Genesis, SYZ and KUSA. The AIDS Squad.

[Image: oscar.png]
14-06-2017, 09:35 AM
(14-06-2017 09:31 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 09:23 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  I see your point and I acknowledge that it is fair. When I said "confining yourself to one thing" I meant more or less taking one specific aspect about your character and parading it.

But they're not settled in that department.

That was my mis-wording. I meant it in the way of "majority of people accept it" not as in it is universally acknowledged by other governments. Which suck, if they don't have equal rights in most "free" countries they are more likely than not in the process of ameliorating the condition.