[split] LGBT (sub)section?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2017, 11:02 AM
RE: [split] LGBT (sub)section?
(14-06-2017 10:39 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  I do thing it does feed an "us and them" mentality and for this reason I do not like it. That isn't to say I want them gone, or that I dislike people who partake in activities. I will respect what you do in your fair time and be glad that you're content with what you like to do and what you find meaningful. I'm only expressing that I do not think that it is necessary when there are other supplements that could, arguably, be healthier for social construct, and perhaps even the individual.

But as I said, Pride is no longer a "gay" thing ... it's just a "we're all strange in some way, just celebrate it" day. In big cities, it's not a "segregation" thing anymore. You may not have been to one (ever ?) recently.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
14-06-2017, 11:07 AM
(14-06-2017 11:02 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 10:39 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  I do thing it does feed an "us and them" mentality and for this reason I do not like it. That isn't to say I want them gone, or that I dislike people who partake in activities. I will respect what you do in your fair time and be glad that you're content with what you like to do and what you find meaningful. I'm only expressing that I do not think that it is necessary when there are other supplements that could, arguably, be healthier for social construct, and perhaps even the individual.

But as I said, Pride is no longer a "gay" thing ... it's just a "we're all strange in some way, just celebrate it" day. In big cities, it's not a "segregation" thing anymore. You may not have been to one (ever ?) recently.

I'm afraid I haven't been.

If it is no longer about LGBT specifically why not say it so? I know that sounds really nit-picky but if I'm sure a lot of fighting would stop and it would be a rather joyful experience as just a parade?
14-06-2017, 11:12 AM
(14-06-2017 10:39 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  I'm only expressing that I do not think that it is necessary when there are other supplements that could, arguably, be healthier for social construct, and perhaps even the individual.

What would you suggest that LGBT people do to replace the benefits of Pride events? Keeping in mind that like Bucky said, I think some events are more community-focused now. Which I think is very healthy for both LGBT people and the wider community and can help further integrate rather than separate. I've gone to a local Pride event and it was very open, and there were a variety of people in attendance. And honestly, at the time I went, I needed something like that.

I also do other things, like a trans support group, I go to therapy, I have taken part in the trans twitter community, I post some LGBT stuff on Facebook. I engage in discussion, I answer peoples' questions, and I try to help others understand that I'm just another person, too. But I have this aspect of my life that people are disgusted by or think is weird or don't want to acknowledge until they are faced with the knowledge that I am an out trans person.

I would love it if it could be something that I was never ashamed of and that I didn't have to work up the courage over several years to acknowledge to myself, and then come out, and then start to transition. But that's not the society we live in yet. I hope it will be eventually, and when we are- Pride events can fall away or evolve into something more relevant to the time.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
14-06-2017, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2017 11:25 AM by Vera.)
(14-06-2017 10:20 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  I still think that the majority of opinion currently weighs against bigotry.

Not where I am, nor in many of the places I've been to and, from what we keep seeing in the news - and here! - not in that beacon of human rights and democracy, the US.

And that's just the so called First World.

Gay men flogged in Aceh after vigilantes find them having sex

People actually broke into their house and dragged them out of their bed. Just think about it for a bit, let it sink in and let's talk again how good the LGBT community really has it.

"Two men in Indonesia's Aceh province were publicly caned dozens of times on Tuesday for consensual gay sex, a punishment that intensifies an anti-gay backlash in the world's most populous Muslim country and which rights advocates denounced as "medieval torture."

More than a thousand people packed the courtyard of a mosque to witness the caning, which was the first time that Aceh, the only province in Indonesia to practice Shariah law, has caned people for homosexuality.

The crowd shouted insults and cheered as the men, aged 20 and 23, were whipped across the back and winced with pain. Many in the crush of spectators filmed the caning with mobile phones as a team of five robed and hooded enforcers took turns inflicting the punishment, relieving one another after."

[Image: methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fc05...resize=685]

There is a video, if anyone claiming how good "the gayz" have it actually has the stomach to watch it.

*I* am not the one who has a problem with how others choose to express who they are or to rebel against the centuries-long marginalisation, demonisation and victimisation they've been subjected to, so *I* am not the one who gets to decide when we should stop having whatever kind of demonstration or parade people want to have, be it Jewish Pride or Left-Handers Pride, or whatever. And those are still incomparable.

The mere fact that supposedly tolerant people get so all bent out of shape because of the Pride parades is a clear sign that it's not "passe", not by the longest of shots.

But how dare they be visible, right?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2017, 11:22 AM
(14-06-2017 11:12 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 10:39 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  I'm only expressing that I do not think that it is necessary when there are other supplements that could, arguably, be healthier for social construct, and perhaps even the individual.

What would you suggest that LGBT people do to replace the benefits of Pride events? Keeping in mind that like Bucky said, I think some events are more community-focused now. Which I think is very healthy for both LGBT people and the wider community and can help further integrate rather than separate. I've gone to a local Pride event and it was very open, and there were a variety of people in attendance. And honestly, at the time I went, I needed something like that.

I also do other things, like a trans support group, I go to therapy, I have taken part in the trans twitter community, I post some LGBT stuff on Facebook. I engage in discussion, I answer peoples' questions, and I try to help others understand that I'm just another person, too. But I have this aspect of my life that people are disgusted by or think is weird or don't want to acknowledge until they are faced with the knowledge that I am an out trans person.

I would love it if it could be something that I was never ashamed of and that I didn't have to work up the courage over several years to acknowledge to myself, and then come out, and then start to transition. But that's not the society we live in yet. I hope it will be eventually, and when we are- Pride events can fall away or evolve into something more relevant to the time.

I would assume if someone felt isolated they could take a very healthy approach as you've mentioned by going to therapy, and seeking support. Which, I argue isn't too hard to find nowadays. I'm aware that it is harder in some places than others, naturally.

I do apologize if I made it seem like I feel like LGBT things are non-issues. I retract what I said when I said the fight was won, but it will never be won. Not entirely. Just that, I imagine, quite soon, a lot of the issues vexing our government with LGBT issues will be gone. I'd say, maybe in 5 to 10 years time this will be "normalized".

Perhaps, I am just in a hurry to get there now. I just mean that since there are a dwindling number of bigots perhaps the celebrations could start to dwindle as well. It would become passe eventually to celebrate this so I figure why not do so now?

I may be wrong, and please correct me if I am, the fight doesn't need to be fought as hard as it was, say 5 years ago? It won't take long before people will not accept any sort of stupidity in the government concerning this issue.
14-06-2017, 11:27 AM
(14-06-2017 11:19 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 10:20 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  I still think that the majority of opinion currently weighs against bigotry.

Not where I am, nor in many if the places I've been to and, from what we keep seeing in the news - and here! - not in that beacon of human rights and democracy, the US.

And that's just the so called First World.

Gay men flogged in Aceh after vigilantes find them having sex

People actually broke into their houses and dragged them out of their bed. Just think about it for a bit, let it sink in and let's talk again how good the LGBT community really has it.

"Two men in Indonesia's Aceh province were publicly caned dozens of times on Tuesday for consensual gay sex, a punishment that intensifies an anti-gay backlash in the world's most populous Muslim country and which rights advocates denounced as "medieval torture."

More than a thousand people packed the courtyard of a mosque to witness the caning, which was the first time that Aceh, the only province in Indonesia to practice Shariah law, has caned people for homosexuality.

The crowd shouted insults and cheered as the men, aged 20 and 23, were whipped across the back and winced with pain. Many in the crush of spectators filmed the caning with mobile phones as a team of five robed and hooded enforcers took turns inflicting the punishment, relieving one another after."

[Image: methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fc05...resize=685]

There is a video, if anyone claiming how good "the gayz" have actually has the stomach to watch it.

*I* am not the one who has a problem with how others choose to express who they are or to rebel against the centuries-long marginalisation, demonisation and victimisation they've been subjected to, so *I* am not the one who gets to decide when we should stop having whatever kind of demonstration or parade people want to have, be it Jewish Pride or Left-Handers Pride, or whatever. And those still incomparable.

The mere fact that supposedly tolerant people get so all bent out of shape because of the Pride parades is a clear sign that it not "passe", not by the longest shots.

But how day they be visible, right?

I'm not bent out of shape at all.
I wasn't speaking of the U.S. as if it were a beacon to every other country. People flog infidels and murder people for adultery too in other countries. However, they are not pertinent issues to the U.S. as I meant it. Here, homosexuality is a pretty relaxed view generally.

I don't think anyone has it good (other than the leaders) of the countries you are referring to. I think that there is much more than just LGBT issues at stake to solve there. I think a complete reformation would be a good starting point for them.
14-06-2017, 11:32 AM
(14-06-2017 11:22 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 11:12 AM)Emma Wrote:  What would you suggest that LGBT people do to replace the benefits of Pride events? Keeping in mind that like Bucky said, I think some events are more community-focused now. Which I think is very healthy for both LGBT people and the wider community and can help further integrate rather than separate. I've gone to a local Pride event and it was very open, and there were a variety of people in attendance. And honestly, at the time I went, I needed something like that.

I would assume if someone felt isolated they could take a very healthy approach as you've mentioned by going to therapy, and seeking support. Which, I argue isn't too hard to find nowadays. I'm aware that it is harder in some places than others, naturally.

I do apologize if I made it seem like I feel like LGBT things are non-issues. I retract what I said when I said the fight was won, but it will never be won. Not entirely. Just that, I imagine, quite soon, a lot of the issues vexing our government with LGBT issues will be gone. I'd say, maybe in 5 to 10 years time this will be "normalized".

Perhaps, I am just in a hurry to get there now. I just mean that since there are a dwindling number of bigots perhaps the celebrations could start to dwindle as well. It would become passe eventually to celebrate this so I figure why not do so now?

I may be wrong, and please correct me if I am, the fight doesn't need to be fought as hard as it was, say 5 years ago? It won't take long before people will not accept any sort of stupidity in the government concerning this issue.

It's true that we've made progress over the last 5 years- but it's no guarantee that we will hold that ground or that progress can't be reversed. Especially with the current political environment.

I think the next generation will be even more LGBT accept than the current generations of adults and that will hopefully continue to help things progress. But 5 years is a very short amount of time. In the last 5 years the world hasn't changed all that much in terms of LGBT support. I think maybe in the next 15-20 years things will look much better for the LGBT community. I hope it's faster, but I doubt it will be. I also really want it to be a done and gone issue. Maybe someday soon. Hug
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
14-06-2017, 11:37 AM
(14-06-2017 11:32 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 11:22 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  I would assume if someone felt isolated they could take a very healthy approach as you've mentioned by going to therapy, and seeking support. Which, I argue isn't too hard to find nowadays. I'm aware that it is harder in some places than others, naturally.

It's true that we've made progress over the last 5 years- but it's no guarantee that we will hold that ground or that progress can't be reversed. Especially with the current political environment.

I think the next generation will be even more LGBT accept than the current generations of adults and that will hopefully continue to help things progress. But 5 years is a very short amount of time. In the last 5 years the world hasn't changed all that much in terms of LGBT support. I think maybe in the next 15-20 years things will look much better for the LGBT community. I hope it's faster, but I doubt it will be. I also really want it to be a done and gone issue. Maybe someday soon. Hug

Trump's campaign and his electives aren't appreciated or liked, and most republican's that outwardly express some from of intolerance is usually laughed at (but still manage to get elected... :/ ) I don't think anything will be reversed, but I can't see the future...

I really hope that it will be too. Smile
14-06-2017, 11:41 AM
(14-06-2017 11:22 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 11:12 AM)Emma Wrote:  What would you suggest that LGBT people do to replace the benefits of Pride events? Keeping in mind that like Bucky said, I think some events are more community-focused now. Which I think is very healthy for both LGBT people and the wider community and can help further integrate rather than separate. I've gone to a local Pride event and it was very open, and there were a variety of people in attendance. And honestly, at the time I went, I needed something like that.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati...102110520/

According to this article: more than 100 anti-LGBT bills introduced in 29 states in the first five months of this year.

220 anti-LGBT bills were introduced in 2016. Four of them passed.

Yes, that's a small proportion, relative to the number of bills proposed, but that's four new anti-gay laws that didn't exist before, for a net erosion of rights.

The flood of bills is considered to be a reaction to the SCOTUS same sex marriage decision.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
14-06-2017, 11:46 AM
(14-06-2017 11:41 AM)julep Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 11:22 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  I would assume if someone felt isolated they could take a very healthy approach as you've mentioned by going to therapy, and seeking support. Which, I argue isn't too hard to find nowadays. I'm aware that it is harder in some places than others, naturally.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati...102110520/

According to this article: more than 100 anti-LGBT bills introduced in 29 states in the first five months of this year.

220 anti-LGBT bills were introduced in 2016. Four of them passed.

Yes, that's a small proportion, relative to the number of bills proposed, but that's four new anti-gay laws that didn't exist before, for a net erosion of rights.

The flood of bills is considered to be a reaction to the SCOTUS same sex marriage decision.

Do you know what the bills entailed?