[split] My law school essay

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2014, 01:40 PM
[split] Is it wrong to hate religion?
(07-07-2014 01:35 PM)avalon Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 06:47 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  It seems to be a general opinion among atheists, "I don't care if you have a religion, just keep it to yourself".

So, is it wrong to just hate religion in general, even when it's kept completely private? If you were having a conversation with someone and they admitted to doing so, would that affect your opinion of them?

I ask because, I think I do just hate the whole concept, and I've found myself becoming more and more thin skinned to it the longer I hang out on atheists sites.

I can't say that I understand your reaction. Religion supposedly is about objective questions (Does god exist?). If that's the case, those questions can be answered with logic and reason. Emotion plays no part in it. Becoming emotional about it simply validates those believers who believe because they love the idea of an afterlife in heaven. Their emotional attachment has no bearing on the truth of their beliefs and neither does your emotional rejection of it.
Some of the replies here address the actions of people who are religious (hypocrisy, promoting falsehoods, mental/physical abuse, etc...). And it's fine to hate those things based on our shared moral standards. But I suspect they'd hate them in any area of life (personal relationships, business, politics, etc...), so why single out religion?
If I'm having a conversation with someone and they admitted to being religious it doesn't affect my opinion of them. I simply get curious about why they believe and then I try to present a calm, logical discussion of why I don't.

God is not for us to understand.

Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2014, 02:10 PM
(07-07-2014 01:40 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  God is not for us to understand.

Ours is not to reason why
Ours is but to do or die
-- Alfred Lord Tennyson IIRC.

Fuck that shit. If God is not for understanding then God can fuck off for worshiping as well. What's the point of the bastard?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-07-2014, 02:15 PM
RE: Is it wrong to hate religion?
(07-07-2014 02:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-07-2014 01:40 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  God is not for us to understand.

Ours is not to reason why
Ours is but to do or die
-- Alfred Lord Tennyson IIRC.

Fuck that shit. If God is not for understanding then God can fuck off for worshiping as well. What's the point of the bastard?

God is not for us to understand.

Drinking Beverage
07-07-2014, 02:19 PM
[split] My law school essay
How touching. Too bad it's inconsistent with reality.

Drinking Beverage
07-07-2014, 02:20 PM
(07-07-2014 02:15 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  God is not for us to understand.

Neither is cabbage, or turpentine. Rolleyes

Any case, I reckon I understand God pretty well - a third rate mind hack that never got fixed after some idiot coder took the day off back in BC times, and every other coder since has had to write fuckin' horrible workarounds. Time to ditch the old code boyo, this is the reboot.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-07-2014, 02:23 PM
(07-07-2014 02:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-07-2014 02:15 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  God is not for us to understand.

Neither is cabbage, or turpentine. Rolleyes

Any case, I reckon I understand God pretty well - a third rate mind hack that never got fixed after some idiot coder took the day off back in BC times, and every other coder since has had to write fuckin' horrible workarounds. Time to ditch the old code boyo, this is the reboot.

You have much arrogance. The sin is strong in you.

Drinking Beverage
07-07-2014, 02:25 PM
(07-07-2014 02:23 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(07-07-2014 02:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  Neither is cabbage, or turpentine. Rolleyes

You have much arrogance. The sin is strong in you.

Hey mod (whoever you are, DLJ I suspect - ha, I was wrong, thanks Rev), could you split my posts into the new thread too so that at least the convo is intelligible. As an illegible bachelor I am used to random conversations though so no worries either way Tongue

Thanks, you're legendary Smile

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post