[split] Non-Binary/Genderqueer Pronouns and References

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2017, 11:06 AM
[split] Non-Binary/Genderqueer Pronouns and References
(21-03-2017 09:01 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  'Ey guys. I've got a question for anyone who considers themselves "non-binary," or "genderqueer."

I'm writing a fiction story, and I'd like to include a non-binary character. To my limited understanding, the various gender-oriented pronouns are accepted or rejected based on individual preference. (If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me) I'm not incredibly concerned about that aspect, because I'm referring to my character by their gender-neutral surname throughout the work. However, I'm running into a problem when describing what this character is literally doing within the story. Meaning, if I want to write, "Taylor spilled the bottle on her jeans," I don't know which determiner (in this example, "her") to use. I want to be sensitive to those who don't identify as male or female - which is the whole point of including the character in the first place - but in a literary context, I'm not sure how to physically write this. I've entertained the idea of alternating between "his/him/he's" and "her's/her/she's," but I feel that would only confuse the reader, rather than lead them to the implicit understanding that the character is non-binary. I've considered, also, using "their/they/them," but that feels too on-the-nose. I want to make things readable for the masses, because 1) most artists in general want a wide audience, and 2) I want to normalize the presence of various gender/sexual minorities in our society. To do so, I feel I need to be more subversive than blatant. I'd like the story to be taken on its own merits, rather than as an overall political statement.

Ultimately, I'm just not sure how to write it. If anyone is of a non-binary lifestyle, or is friends with someone who is, your input would be greatly appreciated. Thumbsup

*Note: If this would fit more appropriately in another section, admins are obviously free to put it there.

Taylor spilled the milk on heshes dress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2017, 11:27 AM
RE: Non-Binary/Genderqueer Pronouns and References
(22-03-2017 11:06 AM)Goosesniper Wrote:  
(21-03-2017 09:01 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  'Ey guys. I've got a question for anyone who considers themselves "non-binary," or "genderqueer."

I'm writing a fiction story, and I'd like to include a non-binary character. To my limited understanding, the various gender-oriented pronouns are accepted or rejected based on individual preference. (If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me) I'm not incredibly concerned about that aspect, because I'm referring to my character by their gender-neutral surname throughout the work. However, I'm running into a problem when describing what this character is literally doing within the story. Meaning, if I want to write, "Taylor spilled the bottle on her jeans," I don't know which determiner (in this example, "her") to use. I want to be sensitive to those who don't identify as male or female - which is the whole point of including the character in the first place - but in a literary context, I'm not sure how to physically write this. I've entertained the idea of alternating between "his/him/he's" and "her's/her/she's," but I feel that would only confuse the reader, rather than lead them to the implicit understanding that the character is non-binary. I've considered, also, using "their/they/them," but that feels too on-the-nose. I want to make things readable for the masses, because 1) most artists in general want a wide audience, and 2) I want to normalize the presence of various gender/sexual minorities in our society. To do so, I feel I need to be more subversive than blatant. I'd like the story to be taken on its own merits, rather than as an overall political statement.

Ultimately, I'm just not sure how to write it. If anyone is of a non-binary lifestyle, or is friends with someone who is, your input would be greatly appreciated. Thumbsup

*Note: If this would fit more appropriately in another section, admins are obviously free to put it there.

Taylor spilled the milk on heshes dress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are trying real damn hard to troll out your bigot credentials today, aren't you? So far you've shit out the following derogatory and dehumanizing terms: "heshe", "tranny", and "fag". Are you going to try to run the gamut of everything I've been assaulted with? Really pushing for all of them in one day, huh? Just for shits and giggles?

Fuck off, gooseshit. You won't win.

Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply