[split] Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2015, 08:50 PM
RE: [split] Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion
(13-09-2015 01:00 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(13-09-2015 12:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Regarding smoking.

Nobody's got the right to tell people what to do - meets - nobody's got the right to endanger other people's health.

Well....governments tell people what to do AND endanger other people's health, so there's that.....

I'm not really sure what you mean by "rights". Are you referring to our temporary privileges given to us by big daddy government?

Rights are not granted by government, they are only limited by government. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
18-09-2015, 02:31 PM
(17-09-2015 08:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-09-2015 01:00 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Well....governments tell people what to do AND endanger other people's health, so there's that.....

I'm not really sure what you mean by "rights". Are you referring to our temporary privileges given to us by big daddy government?

Rights are not granted by government, they are only limited by government. Drinking Beverage

Consider Interesting.

Where do you suppose these rights come from? Do animals have rights? Does my dog have rights? Do horses have rights? Ants? Mosquitoes? E. coli bactieria?
Find all posts by this user
18-09-2015, 02:57 PM
(18-09-2015 02:31 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(17-09-2015 08:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  Rights are not granted by government, they are only limited by government. Drinking Beverage

Consider Interesting.

Where do you suppose these rights come from? Do animals have rights? Does my dog have rights? Do horses have rights? Ants? Mosquitoes? E. coli bactieria?

Where do these rights come from? Equitable treatment; I don't want to be interfered with by you , so I won't interfere with you.

And we're talking about humans' rights, don't strawman.

18-09-2015, 03:19 PM
(18-09-2015 02:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Where do these rights come from? Equitable treatment; I don't want to be interfered with by you , so I won't interfere with you.

Seems like that might work until the point that we are competing for the same resources.

(18-09-2015 02:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  And we're talking about humans' rights, don't strawman.

I just don't understand why humans would have rights that other primates lack. Huh
18-09-2015, 11:40 PM
(13-09-2015 02:00 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I'm all for electrical codes, but that's a little different. No one has a gun to your head saying you have to go the smoky bar downtown.

You don't need electricity to live either, if you're really passionate about the issue.

(13-09-2015 02:00 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  How about alcohol? Do you think it should be illegal since it poses not only health risks to the users, but also to others in the form of vehicle and related accidents?

Alcohol use is illegal, under certain circumstances, including the hypotheticals you've mentioned, and the reason why is because the government has introduced safety regulations in the interest of the general weal.

(13-09-2015 02:00 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I'm not advocating for smoking to be allowed. I'm advocating for freedom to choose.

When the freedom to choose affects the workers on a premise, we've run up against the my-fist-your-nose boundary.
18-09-2015, 11:45 PM
(14-09-2015 08:43 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 04:44 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The pub owner does not own the lungs of his employees.

You're exactly right. He does not own his employees as slaves. In fact, his employees have the freedom to leave at anytime if they don't like the working conditions. That's the beauty of freedom. If you don't want to be in the sun all day and be at risk of falling off of roofs, then you don't have to be a roofer. If you don't want to risk drowning from a crab fishing accident, you don't have to be a crab fishermen. If you don't want to be exposed to excessive amounts of paint fumes, you don't have to work in a auto-body shop. If you don't want to work in a smoky diner, you don't have to be a smoky-diner waitress. Freedom....it's a wonderful thing.

... and if the job market is tight, you have the freedom to choose between starving and cancer.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
18-09-2015, 11:58 PM
(17-09-2015 06:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 07:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I don't often LOL

But when I do...

Thumbsup

What the fuck? You can smoke in public but not chew gum?

Quote:When a BBC reporter suggested that such draconian laws would stifle the people's creativity, Lee Kuan Yew retorted: "If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana."[

The ban is on importing not chewing.

In SG the smoking restrictions are quite strict ... 10 meters away from a building; not near any bus or taxi ranks; fewer food courts have smoking areas now; you usually have to find a designated smoking area, marked by a yellow-paint rectangle.

You have to stand in the yellow box but the smoke is permitted to waft outside the painted perimeter.

In Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines etc. there are still plenty of bars where you can still sin with carefree abandon ... one of the reasons I moved to Malaysia.

Smile

19-09-2015, 02:32 AM
(18-09-2015 03:19 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(18-09-2015 02:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Where do these rights come from? Equitable treatment; I don't want to be interfered with by you , so I won't interfere with you.

Seems like that might work until the point that we are competing for the same resources.

That would be situational. Are you talking about civilized competition or the zombie apocalypse? Consider

Quote:
(18-09-2015 02:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  And we're talking about humans' rights, don't strawman.

I just don't understand why humans would have rights that other primates lack. Huh

When they can articulate their desire for rights, I'll listen. Drinking Beverage

19-09-2015, 03:15 AM
(18-09-2015 02:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-09-2015 02:31 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Consider Interesting.

Where do these rights come from? Equitable treatment; I don't want to be interfered with by you , so I won't interfere with you.

To me rights seem to be nothing more than an imaginary human construct, that only works and exists so long as most everyone agrees to it. You only have as many 'rights' as everyone else is willing to agree to, and because of this our 'rights' can and do change and evolve with time and our collective understanding.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
19-09-2015, 03:21 AM
(19-09-2015 03:15 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

To me rights seem to be nothing more than an imaginary human construct, that only works and exists so long as most everyone agrees to it. You only have as many 'rights' as everyone else is willing to agree to, and because of this our 'rights' can and do change and evolve with time and our collective understanding.

People's rights are limited by the society in which they live, not granted.

We all have the right to ourselves and all else flows from this. If you think your rights are greater than others', you will be in for a rude awakening.