[split] Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2015, 03:54 AM
RE: [split] Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion
(19-09-2015 03:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  ...
People's rights are limited by the society in which they live, not granted.

Two exceptions:

IT Services (access rights are restricted until granted)
North Korea.

Consider

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-09-2015, 07:22 AM
(16-09-2015 12:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  Well fuck me sideways, a coherent post from Heywood Ohmy

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.....

(unless it's a 24 hour clock -- then only once)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
24-09-2015, 03:03 PM
(19-09-2015 03:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-09-2015 03:15 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  To me rights seem to be nothing more than an imaginary human construct, that only works and exists so long as most everyone agrees to it. You only have as many 'rights' as everyone else is willing to agree to, and because of this our 'rights' can and do change and evolve with time and our collective understanding.

People's rights are limited by the society in which they live, not granted.

We all have the right to ourselves and all else flows from this. If you think your rights are greater than others', you will be in for a rude awakening.

But that still doesn't follow. If you live in a society where, for hypothetical sake 'might makes right', than anyone who can impose themselves on you has the 'right' to do so. You have no right to self, you only have as many 'rights' as you are able to enforce upon others. Your 'rights' are directly correlated to your personal ability to impose them on others by force, threat of force, or other forms of coercion.

Telling Genghis Khan that you have a 'right to yourself' as he is pillaging your village around you is going to do fuck all to stop him, or force him to otherwise respect your imagined 'right'.

Even the 'right to self' relies upon consensus.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
24-09-2015, 07:58 PM
(18-09-2015 02:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-09-2015 02:31 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Consider Interesting.

Where do you suppose these rights come from? Do animals have rights? Does my dog have rights? Do horses have rights? Ants? Mosquitoes? E. coli bactieria?

Where do these rights come from? Equitable treatment; I don't want to be interfered with by you , so I won't interfere with you.

And we're talking about humans' rights, don't strawman.

There's a strawman lurking in the sky
He'd like to come and greet us, but he can't. He's made of straw.

I'm sorry, Chas. I've had a bit of rum.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
24-09-2015, 08:09 PM
(19-09-2015 07:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(16-09-2015 12:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  Well fuck me sideways, a coherent post from Heywood Ohmy

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.....

(unless it's a 24 hour clock -- then only once)

Or the clock is broken in a context that isn't the hands are stuck still... I hate that expression. What if the clock is broken because the hour hand was ripped off. Then the clock is never right because there is no statement on what the hour is, 12 isn't sensibly a default either.

hay, Genghis Khan was actually pro religious rights... as in he didn't give a damn about your religion or culture, anything of the sort. Just give his clan their money and you do your thing.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
25-09-2015, 09:06 AM
(13-09-2015 06:29 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(13-09-2015 05:55 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  I actually think that any privately owned business, unless it's a public service, should have the right to refuse the service to anybody.

I would go further in that I think private businesses should be allowed to decide whether or not smoking is allowed in their establishments (smoking as been largely banned where I live). I don't smoke, but I think it's just too much government overreach. The market will decide these things....

No. If I had to choose where I worked by whether smoking was allowed or not as well as all the other factors it'd just make it that much harder. I can't stand smoke, it affects others besides the idiots that choose to do it, so keep it out of buildings where people have to go to work. Or shop for that matter.

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 1 user Likes Azaraith's post
25-09-2015, 10:42 AM
(25-09-2015 09:06 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  No.

Yes.
25-09-2015, 12:50 PM
(25-09-2015 10:42 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 09:06 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  No.

Yes.

Intelligent argument. I will consider your point carefully

Better without God, and happier too.
25-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Interesting argument coming from a non-smoker. I personally already think America is "too free" when it comes to health decisions. I really ought to move elsewhere, but haven't found a compelling reason to do so.

I'm more in agreement with EvolutionKills than Chas about rights. I don't think rights really exist naturally. Not until we define and regulate them does calling something a "right" have meaning. I can say I was born naked so I have the right to present myself in the nude as that is my natural state. But until a society agrees with me this "right" is just a personal fantasy.

Anyways, arguing for something that has no potential positive impact except "yay more freedom" such as allowing smoking indoors in privately owned establishments isn't going to have much depth. So I mean I guess I get that you think more freedom is good. But at what cost?

Oh, and rev mentioned something about disliking laws that prohibit smoking in ones own home. I have a small issue with shared housing, such as apartments. I lived above a smoker for 2 years and I would have to endure 30 to 60 minutes of suffocating smoke stench daily and it was terrible. My guests hated it too. I'd advocate for shared housing to have designated smoking areas and to prohibit indoor/balcony smoking that will affect your neighbors.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
25-09-2015, 01:31 PM
(25-09-2015 09:06 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  it affects others besides the idiots that choose to do it, so keep it out of buildings where people have to go to work. Or shop for that matter.

When you say "idiot" are you referring to all smokers, or just the ones like DLJ who smoke inside bars?