[split] Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2015, 11:42 AM
RE: Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion
(13-09-2015 11:18 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  If you don't like the smoky bar on 4th street, then go to the smoke-free one on 1st street. When everybody wants smoke-free bars, then the one on 4th street will go out of business, or switch to smoke-free, and we will only have smoke-free bars. This is how the problem should be dealt with. We don't need the government telling us that we all want smoke-free bars.

The problem with that as I was in that situation is that the employees suffer and shouldn't have to worry about being around smoke. And before you say I can go to a smoke free place think again as I applied to a lot of places and that was the only job I could get at that time and with 2 kids and single mom I had to take it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like purpledaisies's post
13-09-2015, 12:07 PM
(13-09-2015 11:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I don't know what part of "health concern" you're missing there, Matt. Dodgy

I'm not suggesting that smoking be allowed at all places. I'm suggesting letting the owners of the business decide. I'm talking about privately owned businesses. I don't want smoking at libraries, schools, and other government buildings.

The market will take care of it.

For example, I don't shop at chick-fil-a anymore because they are a bunch of homophobes. The same could apply to businesses that allow smoking. If you don't like their policy, don't shop there. Don't support their business. If bakery "A" is homophobic, then shop at bakery "B" who is not homophobic and "vote" with your almighty dollar.

As long as no one is forced to shop or work there, it should be up to the owner IMO. Call me crazy, but I like freedom of choice. Whether it's deciding who you want to do business with, or whether or not to allow smoking. Big daddy government isn't needed to intervene in these instances.
13-09-2015, 12:14 PM
(13-09-2015 12:07 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(13-09-2015 11:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I don't know what part of "health concern" you're missing there, Matt. Dodgy

I'm not suggesting that smoking be allowed at all places. I'm suggesting letting the owners of the business decide. I'm talking about privately owned businesses. I don't want smoking at libraries, schools, and other government buildings.

For example, I don't shop at chick-fil-a anymore because they are a bunch of homophobes. The same could apply to businesses that allow smoking. If you don't like their policy, don't shop there. Don't support their business. If bakery "A" is homophobic, then shop at bakery "B" who is not homophobic and "vote" with your almighty dollar.

As long as no one is forced to shop or work there, it should be up to the owner IMO. Call me crazy, but I like freedom of choice. Whether it's deciding who you want to do business with, or whether or not to allow smoking. Big daddy government isn't needed to intervene in these instances.

Who's gonna work there? Androids? Who's gonna shop there? I can tell you where they're all gonna end up, at least in this country, and that's on Medicare. Smoking's an expensive waste, can't slice it any differently. Undecided

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
13-09-2015, 12:20 PM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2015 12:23 PM by purpledaisies.)
(13-09-2015 12:07 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  

Agiqn what about the employees that don't have a choice to be working there and have to be exposed to smoke?? Its not fair to the ones that don't smoke and take their health seriously. And as I said I had no choice but to take the job at that time. So no there shouldn't be smoking allowed at any public establishment to protect the employees that don't smoke. How hard is that to comprehend ?
You didn't address that so I thought I'd ask agian.

Your freedom ends when my freedom is infringed upon.
[+] 3 users Like purpledaisies's post
13-09-2015, 12:27 PM
(13-09-2015 10:25 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(13-09-2015 10:15 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Huh? I for one do not smoke and never have. I have the right to work in a smoke free environment period! Its my health that I'm concerned with along with the smell. I did work in several places that allowed smoking before it was banned inside public places. I can tell you it was not pleasent at all.

My point is that the market should take care of these kinds of things.

If there is a demand for smoke-free bars and restaurants, then a savvy businessmen will be there to capitalize.

If you don't like your working conditions, unionize to get the conditions changed, or find employment elsewhere.

Belief in market forces that lead quickly to equitable, predictable outcomes is based on as much magical thinking as belief in a god who parted the Red Sea.

If market forces operated the way you claim, the Jim Crow south would have been "separate, but equal."

The argument that people should be allowed to be as unhealthy as they please assumes that smoking is injurious only to smokers, which is untrue; that plentiful alternative jobs are available to all workers, also untrue; that it is easy for workers to organize to improve their working conditions, wildly untrue; that countering market forces (that savvy businessman) can respond quickly and easily, may or may not be true--history doesn't suggest it; and that the powerful and wealthy tobacco industry will stay completely out of the fray and never use their influence to favor venues that allow smoking.
[+] 8 users Like julep's post
13-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Regarding smoking.

Nobody's got the right to tell people what to do - meets - nobody's got the right to endanger other people's health.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
13-09-2015, 12:49 PM
(13-09-2015 12:27 PM)julep Wrote:  
(13-09-2015 10:25 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  My point is that the market should take care of these kinds of things.

If there is a demand for smoke-free bars and restaurants, then a savvy businessmen will be there to capitalize.

If you don't like your working conditions, unionize to get the conditions changed, or find employment elsewhere.

Belief in market forces that lead quickly to equitable, predictable outcomes is based on as much magical thinking as belief in a god who parted the Red Sea.

If market forces operated the way you claim, the Jim Crow south would have been "separate, but equal."

The argument that people should be allowed to be as unhealthy as they please assumes that smoking is injurious only to smokers, which is untrue; that plentiful alternative jobs are available to all workers, also untrue; that it is easy for workers to organize to improve their working conditions, wildly untrue; that countering market forces (that savvy businessman) can respond quickly and easily, may or may not be true--history doesn't suggest it; and that the powerful and wealthy tobacco industry will stay completely out of the fray and never use their influence to favor venues that allow smoking.
@matt sorry but I was that person in that situation and no matter what I said or did the owner said I'm not changing it for anyone unless the government makes me. And they were smoking anywhere they choose in the building including at the bar area where they cooked the food.The owners could care less about anyone but themselves. There was no organizing shit! It was not possible!
13-09-2015, 01:00 PM
(13-09-2015 12:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Regarding smoking.

Nobody's got the right to tell people what to do - meets - nobody's got the right to endanger other people's health.

Well....governments tell people what to do AND endanger other people's health, so there's that.....

I'm not really sure what you mean by "rights". Are you referring to our temporary privileges given to us by big daddy government?
13-09-2015, 01:33 PM
(12-09-2015 09:12 PM)pablo Wrote:  Does the fact that the flyer is citing questionable sources in a effort to put Planned Parenthood out of business count for anything?
I'm asking because I don't know.
Could Office Depot be held liable for printing this?
Could Planned Parenthood turn around and sue Office Depot?

No, when you have stuff printed up commercially, one thing you sign for in the contract is that you release the printer from liability for misstatements in your material.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
13-09-2015, 01:35 PM
(13-09-2015 01:00 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(13-09-2015 12:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Regarding smoking.

Well....governments tell people what to do AND endanger other people's health, so there's that.....

I'm not really sure what you mean by "rights". Are you referring to our temporary privileges given to us by big daddy government?

Free Market libertarian?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense