[split] Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2015, 11:11 PM
RE: [split] Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion
(13-09-2015 10:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-09-2015 06:48 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  ...
Not really trying to make a case for health and safety, I'm trying to make a case for freedom.

I want the freedom to choose on which side of the road I drive.

When anyone else doesn't make the same choice as me, it's their problem if I hit them.

Bastards!

Dodgy

You said it netter then I could.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2015, 11:22 PM
(13-09-2015 10:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-09-2015 06:48 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  ...
Not really trying to make a case for health and safety, I'm trying to make a case for freedom.

I want the freedom to choose on which side of the road I drive.

When anyone else doesn't make the same choice as me, it's their problem if I hit them.

Bastards!

Dodgy

I want the freedom to set up tire-spikes where ever I feel.

People who don't like the risks involved are clearly just impinging upon my freedoms.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
13-09-2015, 11:47 PM
(13-09-2015 10:25 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  If you don't like your working conditions, unionize to get the conditions changed, or find employment elsewhere.

How... thoughtful. You know, a lot of people have enough of a problem putting bread on the table. Who the fuck's got time to go rah rah and go to unions just so that assholes won't smoke in your fucken face? Oh, and if you don't like *that* solution, just snap your fingers and get another job.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-09-2015, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2015 12:36 AM by Banjo.)
(13-09-2015 06:29 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(13-09-2015 05:55 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  I actually think that any privately owned business, unless it's a public service, should have the right to refuse the service to anybody.

I would go further in that I think private businesses should be allowed to decide whether or not smoking is allowed in their establishments (smoking as been largely banned where I live). I don't smoke, but I think it's just too much government overreach. The market will decide these things....

Matt you think this because you have never sat on a drum riser up on a stage breathing the smoke for three or more hours playing drums!

I once bought a brand new set of white pearl drums for a three month tour. When the tour was over my kit was yellow!

Make of that what you will. But just imaging what my lungs went through!

Quote:Matt Finney Wrote:
If you don't like your working conditions, unionize to get the conditions changed, or find employment elsewhere.

Yeah, you really don't know the world. Some people world all over in all kinds of conditions.
[Image: cough.jpeg?1386589158]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
14-09-2015, 02:05 AM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2015 02:19 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(13-09-2015 02:00 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Well the other option would be for the restaurant to prohibit smoking if that's what the market requires to stay competitive. That's probably the more likely scenario....

Which doesn't address my point.

(13-09-2015 02:00 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I'm all for electrical codes, but that's a little different. No one has a gun to your head saying you have to go the smoky bar downtown.

No, but if you work there, you're rather exposed, right?

Do you not think the government has the duty to regulate workplace conditions?

(13-09-2015 02:00 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  How about alcohol? Do you think it should be illegal since it poses not only health risks to the users, but also to others in the form of vehicle and related accidents?

Shoddy comparison, not buying it, and here's why:

Firstly, no one that I know of makes a living getting drunk in bars. Workers in restaurants and bars, on the other hand, have to be there to earn the filthy lucre.

Secondly, DUI is already illegal. Comparing it to smoking is silly, because the law already treats it more harshly.

(13-09-2015 02:00 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I'm not advocating for smoking to be allowed. I'm advocating for freedom to choose.

Your reasoning is unconvincing.

Would you allow nuclear plants to "choose" whether their technicians must wear suits or not? What market forces do you see in play on that?

And if you'd protect nuclear workers from the hazards of cancer, why wouldn't you protect barworkers from the same hazard?

Sorry, you're ladling weak soup.
14-09-2015, 02:39 AM
Other thought. If the unions are gonna force employers to prohibit workplace smoking, isn't it the same as having a law to that effect? Does it matter where the rule comes from? Except in the sense that those people unlucky enough not to be in a unionised industry won't have the protection. Better to make it a legal thing.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-09-2015, 02:51 AM
How does unionising help a musician or singer doing two dates, Sydney to KL in two days? And the musician is from, say, New Zealand???

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
14-09-2015, 03:50 AM
(14-09-2015 02:51 AM)Banjo Wrote:  How does unionising help a musician or singer doing two dates, Sydney to KL in two days? And the musician is from, say, New Zealand???

Oddly enough... I once finished a gig (training not music) in NZ on a Friday and started another one in Cyberjaya on the Sunday.

Flight was Wellington > Sydney > Singapore > KL > Cyberjaya.

No union required. Big Grin

14-09-2015, 03:51 AM
(13-09-2015 11:11 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(13-09-2015 10:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I want the freedom to choose on which side of the road I drive.

Bastards!

Dodgy

You said it netter then I could.

Thanks.

But not even a 'like'?

Weeping

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
14-09-2015, 04:02 AM
(14-09-2015 03:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  But not even a 'like'?

Weeping

Nobody likes you. Angel

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user