[split] Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2015, 05:03 AM
RE: [split] Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion
(14-09-2015 05:02 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 02:51 AM)Banjo Wrote:  How does unionising help a musician or singer doing two dates, Sydney to KL in two days? And the musician is from, say, New Zealand???

You don't need a union.

When booking your shows, simply explain that you can only play that venue if it is non-smoking for your performance. This is not uncommon practice.

Look above your post.

The place I am coming from is very different from yours.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
14-09-2015, 05:04 AM
(14-09-2015 04:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 04:45 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Really? That's the same as a man having a cig inside a bar he owns? Huh

Perhaps a better comparison is that you'd like the freedom to go and enjoy a drink every now and then. Alcohol doesn't have to be legal, and there's no doubting that we'd all be safer if it was illegal. Some of us like the freedom to have a drink though.....Drinking Beverage

Look! It's my road and if you don't like it you can get your own country!

Angry

If it's your road, on your land, I agree, you should get to drive on it however you see fit.

So are we in agreement? Huh
14-09-2015, 05:14 AM
(14-09-2015 04:58 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 04:45 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Really? That's the same as a man having a cig inside a bar he owns? Huh

Perhaps a better comparison is that you'd like the freedom to go and enjoy a drink every now and then. Alcohol doesn't have to be legal, and there's no doubting that we'd all be safer if it was illegal. Some of us like the freedom to have a drink though.....Drinking Beverage

I disagree. I think there is good reason to doubt that people would be safer if alcohol was illegal.
I think the Prohibition Era in the US demonstrated that quite nicely; alcohol consumption and crime both increased, as did the use of alternative and potentially dangerous substances such as patent medicines, opium, and cocaine.

"We find that alcohol consumption fell sharply at the beginning of Prohibition, to approximately 30 percent of its pre-Prohibition level. During the next several years, however, alcohol consumption increased sharply, to about 60-70 percent of its pre-prohibition level." http://www.nber.org/papers/w3675

hmm.....

So opium and cocaine are "potentially dangerous", but not alcohol? Huh
14-09-2015, 05:22 AM
Illegal alcohol? Chicago in the 1920's.

Enough said.

Loads of work for musos though! Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
14-09-2015, 05:23 AM
(14-09-2015 05:01 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The world does not work like that. A non famous band cannot make demands of club owners.

Well, I've seen it happen.

If the club owner wants you to play, he'll meet your requests.

The beauty of it is that no one has a gun to your head saying you have to play certain smoke-filled clubs. You have some freedom that allows you to pick which clubs you want to play.
14-09-2015, 05:24 AM
(14-09-2015 05:04 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 04:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Look! It's my road and if you don't like it you can get your own country!

Angry

If it's your road, on your land, I agree, you should get to drive on it however you see fit.

Partially.

I'm OK with freedom of choice, obviously. And if a bar owner sets up a bar in the way they like and people want to buy (or not) that's cool.

But I also see social engineering as a not entirely bad thing.

We can allow Darwinian forces to rule (the Republican agenda = the Publican's agenda Laughat see what I did there?) or we can strive for a 'perfect' society (whatever that may look like).

In this case, it's not for the bar owner or the customers and it's only partially for the benefit of the staff... the real driver is the cost of an unhealthy population. The ROI is for the Government's health budget.

We used to burn heretics and now we have public health campaigns. It's a step in the right direction.

Consider

ps. I'm a smoker and I like that I can still smoke in bars in Malaysia and don't like standing in the rain in Singapore but I'm in favour of not allowing smoking in public places.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
14-09-2015, 05:27 AM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2015 05:36 AM by Matt Finney.)
(14-09-2015 05:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 05:04 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  If it's your road, on your land, I agree, you should get to drive on it however you see fit.

Partially.

I'm OK with freedom of choice, obviously. And if a bar owner sets up a bar in the way they like and people want to buy (or not) that's cool.

But I also see social engineering as a not entirely bad thing.

We can allow Darwinian forces to rule (the Republican agenda = the Publican's agenda Laughat see what I did there?) or we can strive for a 'perfect' society (whatever that may look like).

In this case, it's not for the bar owner or the customers and it's only partially for the benefit of the staff... the real driver is the cost of an unhealthy population. The ROI is for the Government's health budget.

We used to burn heretics and now we have public health campaigns. It's a step in the right direction.

Consider

Would you go as far as to say that we should ban tobacco altogether?

ps. I'm not a smoker and I enjoy being able to go to smoke free establishments, I just don't like the degradation of freedom, because I think the market (supply/demand) is already equipped to deal with this issue.
14-09-2015, 05:31 AM
(14-09-2015 04:51 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(13-09-2015 11:47 PM)morondog Wrote:  How... thoughtful. You know, a lot of people have enough of a problem putting bread on the table. Who the fuck's got time to go rah rah and go to unions just so that assholes won't smoke in your fucken face? Oh, and if you don't like *that* solution, just snap your fingers and get another job.

Believe it or not, you're no entitled to any job, let alone one that has zero safety concerns. Some people have jobs where they might get hurt or killed. You might consider getting over this fact.

Believe it or not, people are entitled to live in society and not just slave for some corporate shitbag and accept any working conditions they dictate. You have such faith in the free market but you wouldn't like it much if you were on the bottom.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-09-2015, 05:35 AM
(14-09-2015 05:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  Believe it or not, people are entitled to live in society and not just slave for some corporate shitbag and accept any working conditions they dictate. You have such faith in the free market but you wouldn't like it much if you were on the bottom.

I think a free market is best way to go, so long as you have strong unions to help level the playing field.

Where does this entitlement you speak of come from? government?
14-09-2015, 05:36 AM
(14-09-2015 05:35 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 05:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  Believe it or not, people are entitled to live in society and not just slave for some corporate shitbag and accept any working conditions they dictate. You have such faith in the free market but you wouldn't like it much if you were on the bottom.

I think a free market is best way to go, so long as you have strong unions to help level the playing field.

Where does this entitlement you speak of come from? government?

Who is society for? The members of society or an elite?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post