[split] Political Memes (disability discussion)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2017, 12:17 PM
RE: [split] Political Memes (disability discussion)
(09-07-2017 08:58 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 06:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  After recouping from his cancer for a time, my hubby looked normal and walked normal - for like 5 minutes, then he faltered and had to sit. He used the carts. I hated people for looking at him funny.

SOMETIMES YOU CANNOT SEE DISABLILITIES AND YOUR REACTIONS HURT VULNERABLE PEOPLE!!!!!!!

And you'd be surprised how many people you see who are using shopping carts as walkers. They, too, look normal but cannot walk more than a few minutes without walker. Getting from the car to the carts may be all they can do.

Shame on you people. Some day that shoe will be on your foot, you are only human yourself.

Try living in my damn area before you point the judging finger at me. I see a man with a cane taking a cart due to their being riding carts and using the cart as a cane as he walks.
While a person who is two times bigger than him, having walked just fine up to the door with no problem takes the cart before him just cause they are lazy.

Take a good look at these fat people, quiet easily walking from the none handicap parking to the door without any problems, but too lazy to stand and walk to get grocers that they take what should be used for those who are disabled. Just the same with the handicap parking, it's not 'just for them' so they feel the need to take it from those who do need it. And Yes there are accounts of these obese people taking the cart and ones with doctor notes saying they need one but all the ones are taken by those whoa re capable of walking.
I get the heavier you are the more strain you put on your joints. But still, it annoys me to no end.

Point the finger all you want, but until you see it what I've seen with your own eyes, then I don't want to hear it.
I'm sure there are people with good reasons to use the automatic carts and it's different in your area. But, I don't want to hear you're judge-ness as I've seen things with my own two eyes. Dodgy

I hate getting all mean, but that comment alone made me remember why I left youtube commenting and replying. You make an opinion form your point of view, and suddenly you're at the 'bad guy'. The Appalachian area, full of conservatives, who really don't care about those who have a true reason to use handicap and auto carts. And will take it away. My step dad is one, blew out his back in the army, got the okay, finally, for handicap, yet when we got the walmart, people with these huge SUV's, with no handicap paper or plate just take the parking spots the closest due to being lazy. Then i watch them walk out, with a happy go lucky stride in their step, hop into the car and leave.

I'm pretty sure disablity doesn't look like you are taking long strides down the parking lot, holding four heavy bags without limping, and lifting your legs with easy into the car and then driving.

If your youtube posts were as ignorant and mean spirited as this one, you deserve the comments you got.

Unless you're a medical professional and have personal knowledge of the medical histories of the cart users, you have no business passing judgment on the people using them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
09-07-2017, 12:29 PM
Maybe a teaching moment for one of the younger members here instead of piling on would be more helpful.

At 19 I didn't realize that some people could be quite limited physically if they didn't look outwardly so. Now I know much more having clicked along several more decades.

After my mastectomies I was severely anemic and that went undiagnosed for a time. My thyroid was also jacked up. I was weak as a kitten though I didn't look like I was. I didn't do chemo so I didn't have the telltale signs of being bald or partially so or having the common swollen look with sunken eyes often seen in chemo patients.

I did not request a placard...partly because I am too stubborn to ask for one.

How about a little leading by example and teaching instead of vitriol and superiority.

I am a bit disappointed and taken aback.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
09-07-2017, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 12:41 PM by JesseB.)
(09-07-2017 12:29 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Maybe a teaching moment for one of the younger members here instead of piling on would be more helpful.

At 19 I didn't realize that some people could be quite limited physically if they didn't look outwardly so. Now I know much more having clicked along several more decades.

After my mastectomies I was severely anemic and that went undiagnosed for a time. My thyroid was also jacked up. I was weak as a kitten though I didn't look like I was. I didn't do chemo so I didn't have the telltale signs of being bald or partially so or having the common swollen look with sunken eyes often seen in chemo patients.

How about a little leading by example and teaching instead of vitriol and superiority.

This is why I never requested a placard either, if I'm being totally honest. Besides with Fibromylagia sitting doesn't really relieve the pain. Nor does the pain interfere with movement, I just have to find excuses/places to sit down often to transfer the bulk of the pain away from my feet, knees, hips, back, neck, shoulders for a bit. But I'm used to it, had it since I was a kid and quite active and skinny. After a while it just got to be more difficult to live with, I stopped moving around so much and pretty much blew up like a balloon my Dr almost had a heart attack when I gained I think almost 30 lb in one month (going off memory can't remember the exact weight gain in one month but it was extreme). I remember when I was very young my mom told me, "It's impossible for anyone to be in as much pain as you say you are in every day." This was in response to me saying "my back hurts" I said it more often than I realized which was what sparked the outburst. In hindsight a child complaining about back pain isn't normal.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
09-07-2017, 12:41 PM
Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice...

The leading by example method only works without people stopping their ears and going "I don't want to hear it" when faced with opposing opinions. We have been down this road more than once...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2017, 12:41 PM
(09-07-2017 12:29 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Maybe a teaching moment for one of the younger members here instead of piling on would be more helpful.

To be fair this isn't the first time Ruby has expressed her opinion on this topic.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Hubby had no placard - he was RECOVERING! It didn't seem worth the process - by the time we would actually get the placard he would likely not need it anymore.

I get that younger people don't have the experience to understand the details of health issues - but younger people also know that one doesn't make judgements based on ignorance.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-07-2017, 12:53 PM
(09-07-2017 12:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  Hubby had no placard - he was RECOVERING! It didn't seem worth the process - by the time we would actually get the placard he would likely not need it anymore.

I get that younger people don't have the experience to understand the details of health issues - but younger people also know that one doesn't make judgements based on ignorance.

No, Dom, not all of them do. They are young and learning. We can teach them or stop them from learning by lashing out because they don't have the knowledge 'we' think they should have. Some people grow up surrounded by judgements based on ignorance, isn't that something we here can help combat?

I think the piling on of members of the team is particularly detrimental.

I get the emotion of it...at 19 I wouldn't have.

@moms...I scanned all Ruby's posts and nothing jumped out at me saying she had brought this up before. Perhaps she has but it really wouldn't hurt to try a little more talking and building and less tearing down.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-07-2017, 12:55 PM
(09-07-2017 12:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

To be fair this isn't the first time Ruby has expressed her opinion on this topic.

I don't know that I've seen Ruby's other posts on this topic, though I do know people's views on these things can be strongly affected by their environment. I don't think Ruby is lacking in the capacity for Empathy so I think she is quite capable of listening to people's thoughts and modifying her own position on this in light of additional evidence.

I think Ruby's concern with people abusing tools needed for people with disabilities is a valid concern. I'll admit the association of fat and laziness took me back a bit since I'm fat and well my parents just say I'm fat and lazy despite them having seen how much I've struggled to maintain a healthy weight. But I don't think she meant that to be the cornerstone of her comment. So I'm willing to um... not focus so much on that and focus on what I think her real concern is, hence my comments.

I mean I could be wrong, but I've talked to her quite a bit in PM's and she's always seemed empathetic and kind over all, a bit prone to the kind of strong stances most younger people are capable of possessing, while lacking a little of the experience which tempers most adults. But that's nothing to jump on her case about I think. I think she's right in line with most 19 year olds....But maybe I'm missing some context here, I don't know. I was unaware that she had disputed this idea with people here in the past.

I mean.... maybe I'm mistaken? help me out mom.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
09-07-2017, 01:00 PM
(09-07-2017 12:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  Hubby had no placard - he was RECOVERING! It didn't seem worth the process - by the time we would actually get the placard he would likely not need it anymore.

>.> But he didn't use the handicap spot right? I mean I guess maybe I'm on the wrong page here cause I don't care if he uses the cart thingy to sit down while shopping. There's no way to know at all who's using those or for what reasons. Passing judgement on someone for using that seems a bit unreasonable to me. As far as I know there's no law prohibiting anyone from having access to those carts, I always assumed it was up to each persons judgement to use them if they think they need it, and I thought it was a service provided as a courtesy by store owners. Maybe I'm uninformed here on this? My big thing was about the handicap spots and abusing that to the expense of people who really need it. And I do in fact know people who have abused those spots and they have no remorse about it.

Big Grin
09-07-2017, 01:03 PM
(09-07-2017 12:55 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 12:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  To be fair this isn't the first time Ruby has expressed her opinion on this topic.

I don't know that I've seen Ruby's other posts on this topic, though I do know people's views on these things can be strongly affected by their environment. I don't think Ruby is lacking in the capacity for Empathy so I think she is quite capable of listening to people's thoughts and modifying her own position on this in light of additional evidence.

I think Ruby's concern with people abusing tools needed for people with disabilities is a valid concern. I'll admit the association of fat and laziness took me back a bit since I'm fat and well my parents just say I'm fat and lazy despite them having seen how much I've struggled to maintain a healthy weight. But I don't think she meant that to be the cornerstone of her comment. So I'm willing to um... not focus so much on that and focus on what I think her real concern is, hence my comments.

I mean I could be wrong, but I've talked to her quite a bit in PM's and she's always seemed empathetic and kind over all, a bit prone to the kind of strong stances most younger people are capable of possessing, while lacking a little of the experience which tempers most adults. But that's nothing to jump on her case about I think. I think she's right in line with most 19 year olds....But maybe I'm missing some context here, I don't know. I was unaware that she had disputed this idea with people here in the past.

I mean.... maybe I'm mistaken? help me out mom.

I'm sure you know how to do a search.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces