[split] Political Memes (disability discussion)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2017, 04:28 PM
RE: [split] Political Memes (disability discussion)
(09-07-2017 02:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 01:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I get it. Hug If you don't have the plaque, then you risk a ticket and those fines are hefty.

I'm kinda surprised tho his doctor didn't give you one and it sucks.

They gave one to my MIL when she got really sick (actually after both her knee and hip surgeries they also gave her one). Her bf used to use it for himself....

That annoyed me, so when she couldn't walk anymore we took it and put it away. Kinda passive aggressively bitchy of me I know.

Both my parents were disabled so it's just more baggage that I carry around.

It's a disconnect between the doc and the physical therapist - my taking hubby to the store didn't come up until the PT said hubby needed to get "out of the bubble" and among people. As soon as hubby had learned how to get to the car from the house (increased strength), and into the car (that is actually really hard!) the PT said to take him with me on errands.

The docs - probably they didn't even think he would recover that far - he was sent home in "guarded" condition because they didn't know what else to do for him anymore. He was not ambulatory and hooked up to a wound vac then. They disconnected the intravenous feeding tubes and sent him home. I gave him weed and got him eating again - verrry slowly.

The trip to the supermarket was supposed to be a therapeutic treat - a reward for becoming ambulatory (hard work) and so he could pick out his own food again...and get out among people.

It would have just been nice had he been treated nicely.

That is a difficult situation, and I do wish there had been a better solution for your husband. That could not have been easy for you to witness, or for him to experience.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
09-07-2017, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 04:33 PM by outtathereligioncloset.)
"I judge those obese families, too. And..then I think about how that reflects on my ethics. I am sorry for their illness and condition. Most people are doing the best they can do."

Ditto. The operative words being "most people." But then I wind up behind that cart in the grocery store that's filled with a very overweight kid (whom I truly believe should be walking, not being carted in the bottom of a grocery cart at about age 8 or 9) who is literally surrounded by cookies and ice cream and chips and candy and not one.damn.thing healthy in the whole cart unless you count a dozen or so "Lunchables" (I don't). Oh and the cashier gets handed the empty bags and boxes to ring up for the stuff that the kid has eaten while they are there. That seems like enabling to me. Especially when I see her get out of the cart and half skip half run her way to the car shouting "I want my M&Ms! NOW" Right or wrong, I'm gonna pass judgment on that based on nothing more than what I just saw and heard. That's only human.

**(And just for the record I am 30 to 35 pounds overweight, partially due to a thyroid condition, medication side-effects and just plain apathy on losing it. So that makes me feel a little ashamed to judge and yet...)***

(Sorry for the momentary hijack from topic of handicap spaces.)

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
09-07-2017, 08:20 PM
I absolutely understand and feel a similar way. And...yet, "walk a mile in a man's shoes, before judging him."

It is easier to just judge and vent...and I do it all the time about poor parenting, lack of will power to stop at 50 pounds overweight and start losing, people buying things on the government card that I don't buy because they are too expensive a luxury and then if they are over limit, pulling out a wad of cash to pay.

And...people who abuse the handicap placard they have for their spouse or parent just because they can. And people who are on disability, but aren't actually disabled anymore or bad enough.

Shoot...my husband could apply for disability, but he feels that as long as he is able to control his pain, he is going to work. Most in his situation would apply for disability.

People getting welfare and Obama phones, but also buying their kids $200 sneakers. Yup, a school bus driver sees a lot of stuff like that going down. Kids leave good coats on the bus and never claim them because they would rather get a new coat because they can. Kids get free breakfast and lunch and school supplies and the household owns two new cars and they have a flat screen tv and computer in their bedrooms and the latest smart phones and take family vacations each Spring break and go to see a cool movie 4 or 5 times with all the trimmings. What the hell?

I know, though, that there are those other people, who are doing the best they can with limited ability to get through the week and whose one luxury is food. A generational cycle of poverty and lack of personal responsibility becomes an actual handicap after a while.

I still believe that most people, most families are doing the best they can and it seems normal to them to live this way.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post
10-07-2017, 01:57 AM
(09-07-2017 03:49 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  I judge those obese families, too. And..then I think about how that reflects on my ethics. I am sorry for their illness and condition.

I don't care about obesity - not my body not my problem. I only dislike hearing how it is impossible to lose weight or how easy is to gain another pound. It's not impossible, just hard (hard-ish?) and keeping the weight in check require effort. I was fat so I know.

Quote:Most people are doing the best they can do.

Don't have any data to support it but I think that people mostly do what's easy. It's easier to make another fattening meal, it's easier to watch some soapy shit on TV than read a book, it's easier to believe politician than analyze his words, it's easier to believe and just going with the flow than realize that religion is bullshit.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
10-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Yeah...sometimes what is easy is the best one can do.

Do you know how sometimes just one more decision or one more unsolved problem is one too many and it is easier to just not make that decision or work on that problem?

Sometimes it is all a person can do to brush their teeth before crawling into bed in the hopes that the new day will be better. That person may look completely capable and normal, but they are struggling inside. Sometimes brushing their teeth is just too much and they crawl into bed without doing that or washing their face or getting a shower in the hopes that the new day will find them capable to not only do their job, but brush their teeth, as well.

Again, the point is that you cannot tell from the outside what struggles occur within a person or within a family.

I don't think they are oblivious to the fact that what they are doing is self-destructive. Sort of like the smoker who cannot/will not stop and tries multiple times, but finally gives up and just lives with the habit, knowing that it will most likely shorten his life and impair his health and knowing that people are scorning his lack of control and probably pity him.

Other than cutting folks some slack and taking care of our own troubles....what is there to do? Stay angry at the failure of others to meet a standard? Work ourselves up in rants? Demand the Central Government force people to alter their behavior and remove their children for their own health?

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
10-07-2017, 11:06 AM
(10-07-2017 10:34 AM)Jeanne Wrote:  Yeah...sometimes what is easy is the best one can do.

Do you know how sometimes just one more decision or one more unsolved problem is one too many and it is easier to just not make that decision or work on that problem?

Sometimes it is all a person can do to brush their teeth before crawling into bed in the hopes that the new day will be better. That person may look completely capable and normal, but they are struggling inside. Sometimes brushing their teeth is just too much and they crawl into bed without doing that or washing their face or getting a shower in the hopes that the new day will find them capable to not only do their job, but brush their teeth, as well.

Again, the point is that you cannot tell from the outside what struggles occur within a person or within a family.

I don't think they are oblivious to the fact that what they are doing is self-destructive. Sort of like the smoker who cannot/will not stop and tries multiple times, but finally gives up and just lives with the habit, knowing that it will most likely shorten his life and impair his health and knowing that people are scorning his lack of control and probably pity him.

Your point being?

Quote:Other than cutting folks some slack and taking care of our own troubles....what is there to do? Stay angry at the failure of others to meet a standard? Work ourselves up in rants? Demand the Central Government force people to alter their behavior and remove their children for their own health?

Going for some strawman here?

I said that I don't like hearing how it is impossible to loose weight so I can't really see connection between I what wrote and this post of yours. Did I say something about being angry at people who don't met some standard? Did I say a fucking thing about gov? Or you feel the need to make it subject of every discussion?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
10-07-2017, 12:25 PM
(10-07-2017 01:57 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I was fat so I know.

Tsk tsk. You are assuming that everyone has the same body chemistry and what not all as you. Facepalm

Your problems and solutions don't apply to everyone. They may even only apply to a few. You don't know.

Don't make judgements based on ignorance.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-07-2017, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2017 12:51 PM by Szuchow.)
(10-07-2017 12:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-07-2017 01:57 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I was fat so I know.

Tsk tsk. You are assuming that everyone has the same body chemistry and what not all as you. Facepalm

Your problems and solutions don't apply to everyone. They may even only apply to a few. You don't know.

Maybe quote rest of the post where I wrote that loosing weight is hard and keeping it in check requires effort? Or you're gonna claim that losing weight is impossible?

I'm only assuming that it is possible to loose weight, not easy. Possible. Hardly an assumption at all Drinking Beverage.

So maybe chill a little with this ignorance.

Mikhail Bakunin.
10-07-2017, 12:57 PM
(10-07-2017 12:35 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(10-07-2017 12:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  Tsk tsk. You are assuming that everyone has the same body chemistry and what not all as you. Facepalm

Maybe quote rest of the post where I wrote that loosing weight is hard and keeping it in check requires effort? Or you're gonna claim that losing weight is impossible?

I'm only assuming that it is possible to loose weight. Hardly an assumption at all Drinking Beverage.

I assume for most it's possible. Keeping it off may not be. Identifying your issue may not be. For me, it was starch. Any kind of starch and I gain weight, regardless of what else I eat. So bread or potatoes or pasta are a once or twice a year treat for me, made up with starving the next few days.

Can you eat starch? If you can, you and I do not react the same way to food.

We know very little about food at this time, and how all the myriad of chemicals in food (and I bet we haven't properly identified the half of them) interact with the specific chemical balance of each individual. So, in my opinion, any judgement made about people and their diets is based on ignorance. We just don't know shit.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-07-2017, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2017 01:22 PM by Szuchow.)
(10-07-2017 12:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  I assume for most it's possible. Keeping it off may not be. Identifying your issue may not be. For me, it was starch. Any kind of starch and I gain weight, regardless of what else I eat. So bread or potatoes or pasta are a once or twice a year treat for me, made up with starving the next few days.

Can you eat starch? If you can, you and I do not react the same way to food.

Did I said that everyone reacts in same way to the food? Or that there is miracle diet fit for all? Or I said that losing weight is hard and keeping it in check require effort?

Quote:We know very little about food at this time, and how all the myriad of chemicals in food (and I bet we haven't properly identified the half of them) interact with the specific chemical balance of each individual. So, in my opinion, any judgement made about people and their diets is based on ignorance. We just don't know shit.

I might know little but there are people who know more. I doubt that everyone know shit. I doubt even more that any judgment about people and their diet is based on ignorance. I wonder how you want to back up such generalizations?

Mikhail Bakunin.