[split] Political Memes (disability discussion)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2017, 01:22 PM
RE: [split] Political Memes (disability discussion)
(10-07-2017 01:11 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(10-07-2017 12:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  I assume for most it's possible. Keeping it off may not be. Identifying your issue may not be. For me, it was starch. Any kind of starch and I gain weight, regardless of what else I eat. So bread or potatoes or pasta are a once or twice a year treat for me, made up with starving the next few days.

Can you eat starch? If you can, you and I do not react the same way to food.

Did I said that everyone reacts in same way to the food? Or that there is miracle diet fit for all? Or I said that losing weight is hard and keeping it that way require effort?

Quote:We know very little about food at this time, and how all the myriad of chemicals in food (and I bet we haven't properly identified the half of them) interact with the specific chemical balance of each individual. So, in my opinion, any judgement made about people and their diets is based on ignorance. We just don't know shit.

I might know little but there are people who know more. I doubt that everyone know shit. I doubt even more that any judgment about people and their diet is based on ignorance. I wonder how you want to back up such generalizations?

You back up your opinions first. Yours are no less opinions than mine, and both of us are likely basing them on real life experiences.

Anyway, I don't really want to be in this conversation because it is pointless. The matter should resolve itself in a few decades - lots of new research in biologics these days.

So I hope you don't mind if I bow out. Lets be happy we both have our weights where we want them to be and wish others the best.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2017, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2017 01:53 PM by Szuchow.)
(10-07-2017 01:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  You back up your opinions first.

Those about losing weight being possible? Easily. My sister was fat and now thanks to changed lifestyle and training she is slim. Opinion backed, losing weight is possible.

Quote:Yours are no less opinions than mine, and both of us are likely basing them on real life experiences.

Yours are generalization so wide that I doubt they can be proved at all. Mine are easily provable - it's not impossible to loose weight, I know cause I did just that. It's possible to keep weight in check - I know so cause I'm doing exactly that. Don't need more examples to show that assuming impossibility is mistake.

There is no equivalence here.

Quote:Anyway, I don't really want to be in this conversation because it is pointless.
The matter should resolve itself in a few decades - lots of new research in biologics these days.

So I hope you don't mind if I bow out. Lets be happy we both have our weights where we want them to be and wish others the best.

Even if I would mind I couldn't force you to write more.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
10-07-2017, 01:56 PM
(10-07-2017 11:06 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(10-07-2017 10:34 AM)Jeanne Wrote:  Yeah...sometimes what is easy is the best one can do.

Do you know how sometimes just one more decision or one more unsolved problem is one too many and it is easier to just not make that decision or work on that problem?

Again, the point is that you cannot tell from the outside what struggles occur within a person or within a family.

Your point being?

Quote:Other than cutting folks some slack and taking care of our own troubles....what is there to do? Stay angry at the failure of others to meet a standard? Work ourselves up in rants? Demand the Central Government force people to alter their behavior and remove their children for their own health?

Going for some strawman here?

I said that I don't like hearing how it is impossible to loose weight so I can't really see connection between I what wrote and this post of yours. Did I say something about being angry at people who don't met some standard? Did I say a fucking thing about gov? Or you feel the need to make it subject of every discussion?

Oh for pity's sake, Sczchow, must you always think that others are setting you up for a debate about how your thoughts or our thoughts must be shot down?

No...I am not "going for some strawman here." I am having a discussion with those who are interested in this topic.

The connection between our two posts is in my opening sentence. "sometimes the easy way is the best one can do" and I expound upon that theme.

Not to chide you or argue with you, but to continue the discussion. Those questions about what there is to do...are just for illuminating the dilemma of not knowing what to do.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
10-07-2017, 02:00 PM
(10-07-2017 01:56 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Oh for pity's sake, Sczchow, must you always think that others are setting you up for a debate about how your thoughts or our thoughts must be shot down?

Your posts have habit of looking so at least to my eyes.

Quote:No...I am not "going for some strawman here." I am having a discussion with those who are interested in this topic.

The connection between our two posts is in my opening sentence. "sometimes the easy way is the best one can do" and I expound upon that theme.

Not to chide you or argue with you, but to continue the discussion. Those questions about what there is to do...are just for illuminating the dilemma of not knowing what to do.

Hardly can continue discussion when there's no real connection. Were I interested in talking about gov or standards I would have mentioned them.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
10-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Okay, I wrote that I think most people are doing the best they can.

You wrote that you think most people are doing what is easy.

Then I wrote that sometimes what is easy is the best they can do.

Do you see a connection?

10-07-2017, 02:07 PM
(10-07-2017 02:03 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Okay, I wrote that I think most people are doing the best they can.

You wrote that you think most people are doing what is easy.

Then I wrote that sometimes what is easy is the best they can do.

Do you see a connection?

Perhaps it is somewhere as you claim but obfuscated with Central Government and brushing teeth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
10-07-2017, 02:08 PM
You are pulling my leg, right? Just because you can and are bored, right?

10-07-2017, 02:13 PM
(10-07-2017 02:08 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  You are pulling my leg, right? Just because you can and are bored, right?

No. You went totally of tangent - in my opinion - and if not for sentence about doing what easy I wouldn't even thought that your post had even passing connection with mine.

Also I still wonder what was purpose of that tiny fragment about Central Government.

Mikhail Bakunin.
10-07-2017, 02:19 PM
(10-07-2017 01:32 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(10-07-2017 01:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  You back up your opinions first.

Those about losing weight being possible? Easily. My sister was fat and now thanks to changed lifestyle and training she is slim. Opinion backed, losing weight is possible.

Quote:Yours are no less opinions than mine, and both of us are likely basing them on real life experiences.

Yours are generalization so wide that I doubt they can be proved at all. Mine are easily provable - it's not impossible to loose weight, I know cause I did just that. It's possible to keep weight in check - I know so cause I'm doing exactly that. Don't need more examples to show that assuming impossibility is mistake.

There is no equivalence here.

Quote:Anyway, I don't really want to be in this conversation because it is pointless.
The matter should resolve itself in a few decades - lots of new research in biologics these days.

Even if I would mind I couldn't force you to write more.

My point is that because it is possible for YOU ( and probably lots of others) doesn't mean it is possible for everyone. You are prejudiced based on ignorance.

Anyway, I am out now. It just irks me because I thought you to be more rational.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-07-2017, 02:23 PM
Back to the subject of this thread ...

One thing I found while I was caring for my two elderly parents is that I would sometimes park in the handicapped spot to take my parent to an appointment or event, and then go back to the car and leave, knowing the appointment/event would take an hour or two. (I had a portable placard, issued by their doctor, to place in the windshield whenever I needed a spot).

When I came back, I would often park in the handicapped spot, (with placard displayed) and RUSH into the hospital/store/elder care centre etc, AWARE of the evil eyes staring in my direction, because I don't look like I need a handicapped spot (because of course I don't).

The same evil eyes were not trained on me when I returned to my vehicle a few (or many) minutes later, helping my elderly, Parkinson's-or-cancer- afflicted parent to the car in their walker or wheelchair.

So next time you see someone who clearly seems able-bodied parked in the handicapped spot, before rushing to judgment, keep in mind that that person could be the caregiver, who needs the close proximity because they are dropping off/picking up a handicapped person.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post