[split] Questions about evolution? - I&I questioning evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2013, 04:24 PM
RE: [split] Questions about evolution? - I&I questioning evolution
(13-07-2013 02:30 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(13-07-2013 05:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, evolution is NOT about adjusting to environment.

The environment does not cause adaptations. The environment is a sieve.

The same problem presents itself no matter what word you use.

How does one go about showing the degree of the role the environment played and how does one know all the possible ways if this environment existed a long time ago.

We know of ancient environments by geological evidence; sediments, ice cores, and so on.

Learn some science.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2013, 05:51 PM
(13-07-2013 02:37 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(13-07-2013 12:52 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  So essentially what you're saying here I&I is that because humans invented the term gravity and described the behaviour of gravity, there would be no gravity without us? Did our galaxy come together only because we eventually existed and were able to construct this concept? Did evolution of our species and other species on earth only occur retrospectively because we exist to describe the process?

I am saying that evolution as an explanation/theory is not experienced by any other creature but humans. To a rabbit there was no millions of years ago, time does not exist for or to animals in the way we use time to place events in the way we use time to describe evolution. Animals don't use evolution to learn, plan for the future etc etc. The usefulness of the theory of evolution is literally only for humans, in knowledge and practality.

WTF is practality ?

Evolution is useful for every life form. It continues to produce organisms more adapted to their environments whether they understand it or not.

Oh I almost forgot.

Boom
Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
13-07-2013, 11:42 PM
[split] Questions about evolution? - I&I questioning evolution
(13-07-2013 05:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(13-07-2013 02:37 PM)I and I Wrote:  I am saying that evolution as an explanation/theory is not experienced by any other creature but humans. To a rabbit there was no millions of years ago, time does not exist for or to animals in the way we use time to place events in the way we use time to describe evolution. Animals don't use evolution to learn, plan for the future etc etc. The usefulness of the theory of evolution is literally only for humans, in knowledge and practality.

WTF is practality ?

Evolution is useful for every life form. It continues to produce organisms more adapted to their environments whether they understand it or not.

Oh I almost forgot.

Boom
Big Grin

How does a rabbit use the theory of evolution?
14-07-2013, 03:00 AM
(13-07-2013 11:42 PM)I and I Wrote:  How does a rabbit use the theory of evolution?

The use of evolution in rabbits to survive at both extremes also caused the ecosystem to rapidly deteriorate into a scratching battle as all organisms blamed each other.

The quote above provides unsound and illogical accounts of these rabbits in extreme A and extreme B.

In the U.S. attempts to overthrow evolution in rabbits there were also ecosystems positioned to cause organisms to fight among each other, this was then used as evidence for evolution.

Who and why would a country or group use evolution to aim at rabbits? What would that accomplish besides a civil war or chaos!

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
14-07-2013, 04:19 AM
(13-07-2013 11:42 PM)I and I Wrote:  How does a rabbit use the theory of evolution?

Rabbits don't use evolution, evolution uses rabbits.

BOOM! Shocking

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
14-07-2013, 05:50 AM
I&I, you're so fucking stupid that it's comical.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
14-07-2013, 05:58 AM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2013 06:04 AM by Hafnof.)
(13-07-2013 02:37 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(13-07-2013 12:52 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  So essentially what you're saying here I&I is that because humans invented the term gravity and described the behaviour of gravity, there would be no gravity without us? Did our galaxy come together only because we eventually existed and were able to construct this concept? Did evolution of our species and other species on earth only occur retrospectively because we exist to describe the process?

I am saying that evolution as an explanation/theory is not experienced by any other creature but humans. To a rabbit there was no millions of years ago, time does not exist for or to animals in the way we use time to place events in the way we use time to describe evolution. Animals don't use evolution to learn, plan for the future etc etc. The usefulness of the theory of evolution is literally only for humans, in knowledge and practality.

I'm wanting to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but you'll need to define some terms for me:
* experienced - as in "evolution... is not experienced by any other creature". How is it experienced by humans? What are you trying to convey here?
* use - how do you think humans use evolution? We use evolution to classify animals and understand their properties, for example we use evolution to understand new pathogens and to infer properties such as which things will kill it. Is that what you are talking about?

I may be reading your post unfavourably, but it really seems like you think that evolution is a process by which individuals of a species choose to change to adapt to their environment. For reference, that would be the opposite of evolution by means of natural selection.

Here is an example of evolution by natural selection. I'm going to create an environment here where words breed with each other. I start with a random 100 individuals of length 9. Every generation I mutate the individuals (very simply) with each every letter getting a 2% chance of shifting 1-2 places in the alphabet. Every generation I breed a new set of words from the previous generation. 98% of the time the selection of parents is entirely random, but 2% of the time the 10% of words closest to "evolution" will be chosen granting them a slight advantage. The child will take 50% of its letters from the mother and 50% from the father. Each generation I output the word that is closest to "evolution" and its measured distance. It's a simple java program, and here is an extract of the output:

Generation 1: jwnkwuhmm = 15
Generation 2: atolvijrl = 24
Generation 3: atomwpvrl = 31
Generation 4: bthmwpkpn = 22
Generation 5: bvhnwphpn = 20
Generation 6: jthevtkmm = 27
Generation 7: fuofulpsn = 27
Generation 8: bupfwlksn = 27
Generation 9: bupsxmksn = 28
Generation 10: etqgwtbho = 26
Generation 100: etokwqjtm = 15
Generation 101: ftnkvtjqt = 15
Generation 102: htnkvujqr = 16
Generation 103: etpkwujqs = 15
Generation 104: etpowtjqm = 12
Generation 105: etqnvtiqm = 10
Generation 106: etpowuiom = 10
Generation 107: etpnuqkto = 16
Generation 108: evpjwtito = 11
Generation 109: evpjwtjto = 12
Generation 110: hspkvqhqo = 16
Generation 200: evolwuhpp = 7
Generation 201: cvokuthom = 5
Generation 202: evpkuuhoo = 5
Generation 203: evomvuinn = 4
Generation 204: evoluthqn = 3
Generation 205: evoluthrn = 4
Generation 206: evomuthqn = 4
Generation 207: fvnjuuipn = 6
Generation 208: cuolutioo = 4
Generation 209: cvoluuioo = 4
Generation 300: evolwsion = 3
Generation 301: dvplusion = 3
Generation 302: dvolusjon = 3
Generation 303: dvqlushon = 5
Generation 304: dvolurjon = 4
Generation 305: dvolvsjmn = 6
Generation 306: fvnmusipn = 5
Generation 307: dvqkusion = 5
Generation 308: dvomvsjon = 5
Generation 309: dvplusjon = 4
Generation 310: fvomusjon = 4
Generation 400: fvnmutimn = 5
Generation 401: evonttjnn = 5
Generation 402: evonutioo = 3
Generation 403: fumluuion = 5
Generation 404: euolutimn = 3
Generation 405: fvmlution = 3
Generation 406: evmlution = 2
Generation 407: fvolvtion = 2
Generation 408: evolvtiom = 2
Generation 409: fvolutinn = 2
Generation 410: evolvuion = 2
Generation 411: evolutinn = 1
Generation 412: evolvtipn = 2
Generation 413: evokutkpn = 4
Generation 414: evnlution = 1
Generation 415: evolutinn = 1
Generation 416: evplvtion = 2
Generation 417: evnlution = 1
Generation 418: evolvtinn = 2
Generation 419: evplution = 1
Generation 420: evolution = 0

So what's your opinion on this? Did the letters in these words use evolution to match an environment that benefited them based on a worse or better fit? Did they experience evolution? I'm wondering if what I've put together here matches what you understand of evolution or not?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.