[split] Resurrection of Jesus - Argument with Ralph Ellis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2013, 07:19 AM
RE: [split] Resurrection of Jesus - Argument with Ralph Ellis
(24-06-2013 07:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  Er... wow Tongue I was gonna ask you a whole bunch of questions but... I decided I'll leave it for now...

It just seems really weird that's all...

Feel free to ask any questions you like.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2013, 07:33 AM
OK. Um... Since I had had to ask you I didn't want to pry too deep - if you'd been preaching I would have been AOK to have a dig Tongue Anyway, since you said it's fine...

Knowing what you do about ancient Near East history and languages etc... don't you find that it clashes with your faith ? I don't really know much about Mormonism...

Joseph Smith read all this stuff in his hat ? Don't you think it's more likely that he was making it all up ?

I just... I found that immediately I started learning about and thinking about science related stuff the whole Christian thing started to seem hollow and false and eventually I decided that that was what it was. I know that other's do retain their faith, I have many friends who despite being well educated in science related fields nevertheless manage to still be Christian... I just don't understand *how* they manage it... which is why I'm asking you Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-06-2013, 07:48 AM
(24-06-2013 07:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  OK. Um... Since I had had to ask you I didn't want to pry too deep - if you'd been preaching I would have been AOK to have a dig Tongue Anyway, since you said it's fine...

Knowing what you do about ancient Near East history and languages etc... don't you find that it clashes with your faith ? I don't really know much about Mormonism...

Joseph Smith read all this stuff in his hat ? Don't you think it's more likely that he was making it all up ?

I just... I found that immediately I started learning about and thinking about science related stuff the whole Christian thing started to seem hollow and false and eventually I decided that that was what it was. I know that other's do retain their faith, I have many friends who despite being well educated in science related fields nevertheless manage to still be Christian... I just don't understand *how* they manage it... which is why I'm asking you Smile

A moderator.

Willfully derailing this thread.

Where's that "what I don't like about this forum" thread? Angry

Tongue

Big Grin

Ain't a thread anyway. I used to like Ralph; now, not so much. Undecided

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2013, 07:51 AM
(24-06-2013 07:48 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  A moderator.

... Yeah... mods at TTA are pretty useless. Drinking Beverage

Weeping
24-06-2013, 08:17 AM
(24-06-2013 07:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 07:48 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  A moderator.

... Yeah... mods at TTA are pretty useless. Drinking Beverage

Weeping

Hey! Derailing is utility. And Ralph should take a break from the spotlight; it ain't flattering. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-06-2013, 09:32 AM
(24-06-2013 07:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  OK. Um... Since I had had to ask you I didn't want to pry too deep - if you'd been preaching I would have been AOK to have a dig Tongue Anyway, since you said it's fine...

There are things here and there that clash, but I don't base my faith on empiricism, and there are very few parts of it that are non-negotiable for me.

(24-06-2013 07:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  Joseph Smith read all this stuff in his hat ? Don't you think it's more likely that he was making it all up ?

There are too many parts of that conclusion that just don't make any sense to me, and I try not to pretend I can quantify the likelihood of supernatural events, provided I don't presuppose the non-existence of the supernatural.

(24-06-2013 07:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  I just... I found that immediately I started learning about and thinking about science related stuff the whole Christian thing started to seem hollow and false and eventually I decided that that was what it was. I know that other's do retain their faith, I have many friends who despite being well educated in science related fields nevertheless manage to still be Christian... I just don't understand *how* they manage it... which is why I'm asking you Smile

I manage because it works. I'm more pragmatic than orthodoxic, and when I do what I believe my faith compels me to do, I see the results in my life that it promises will come. That's never failed me, no matter how many times ideologies and history may conflict with the tradition.
24-06-2013, 09:42 AM
(24-06-2013 09:32 AM)maklelan Wrote:  

There are things here and there that clash, but I don't base my faith on empiricism, and there are very few parts of it that are non-negotiable for me.

(24-06-2013 07:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  Joseph Smith read all this stuff in his hat ? Don't you think it's more likely that he was making it all up ?

There are too many parts of that conclusion that just don't make any sense to me, and I try not to pretend I can quantify the likelihood of supernatural events, provided I don't presuppose the non-existence of the supernatural.

(24-06-2013 07:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  I just... I found that immediately I started learning about and thinking about science related stuff the whole Christian thing started to seem hollow and false and eventually I decided that that was what it was. I know that other's do retain their faith, I have many friends who despite being well educated in science related fields nevertheless manage to still be Christian... I just don't understand *how* they manage it... which is why I'm asking you Smile

I manage because it works. I'm more pragmatic than orthodoxic, and when I do what I believe my faith compels me to do, I see the results in my life that it promises will come. That's never failed me, no matter how many times ideologies and history may conflict with the tradition.

But doesn't it bother you that you believe whacked-out, crazy shit?

It makes me distrust your thinking.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
24-06-2013, 10:02 AM
(24-06-2013 09:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  But doesn't it bother you that you believe whacked-out, crazy shit?

This is the interesting bit. One man's whacked out crazy is another man's bread and butter "but of course it's like that"...

It makes me distrust M's thinking, but also... mine... a little bit. Not as much as it used to...

And then I think to myself, is it just that his thinking is so alien, that I think that it's obviously wrong ?

And *then* I think to myself... God talked to Joseph Smith through his hat Huh
24-06-2013, 10:06 AM
(24-06-2013 10:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 09:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  But doesn't it bother you that you believe whacked-out, crazy shit?

This is the interesting bit. One man's whacked out crazy is another man's bread and butter "but of course it's like that"...

It makes me distrust M's thinking, but also... mine... a little bit. Not as much as it used to...

And then I think to myself, is it just that his thinking is so alien, that I think that it's obviously wrong ?

And *then* I think to myself... God talked to Joseph Smith through his hat Huh

God talks to me through Gwyneth Paltrow's eyes all the time, so there! Big Grin

(But then again, if there ain't a pic in the dictionary of me next to "whacked out crazy shit," someone ain't doing their job. Big Grin )

Besides, you two... Dan came here as a scholar to rebut Ralph, not as a Mormon to preach the gospel. Maybe you cats could ease off the throttle. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-06-2013, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2013 11:05 AM by maklelan.)

Why would it make you distrust my thinking?

There's whack-out and crazy shit happening all over the universe, and much of it we can't explain. I'm not worried about my beliefs conflicting with anyone's worldview or concept of the universe. The only reason your trust of my thinking might at all be relevant to my participation here is if it causes you to object to some argument I might produce, and if your objection comes down to nothing more than "you believe crazy shit," then the problem obviously does not lie with my argument.
[+] 1 user Likes maklelan's post