[split] Share your de-conversion story

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2014, 09:34 AM
[split] Share your de-conversion story
(10-06-2013 08:35 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  It's been suggested that we have a stickied thread for everyone to post their de-conversion stories in and I think it's a fantastic idea, so here it is.

My own de-conversion was rather boring. I gradually realised it was all bullshit, didn't have a big coming out moment but my family became aware, some of them were disappointed while others weren't bothered, there's the odd argument about religion in my house but nothing major.

I know others here have far more interesting stories though so please, begin sharing.

Thanks for starting a thread on this, for, my journey has indeed been remarkable . Heres my de-conversion story from Atheist to Theist to Christian :

What i found appealing about atheism , at the time :

1. Nearly all my friends were atheists so i had much commaraderie .
2. If there were no binding absolute moral laws to live by, then it
offered great freedom of lifestyle choices (which i capitalized on) .
3. No one was in ultimate authority over me.
4. I wasnt owned by anyone higher than self which led to great
autonomy.
5. I was at the center of the Universe, figuratively speaking , calling my own shots in life .
6. All my Teachers in school (whom i greatly respected and
enjoyed) taught atheistic ideologies / worldview .
7. As Evolutionist Julian Huxley said :' Having no personal Creator
(viz.God) , coincided with my sexual mores' (and Genital satisfaction via using Women was my favorite American pastime) .

What I found convincing about atheism , at the time :

1. I looked upon my Teachers and School Text Books as virtually
infallable and thus a very reliable truth source , so i accepted all
they taught without question .
2. Atheisms idelogies and constructs... from a worldview and from
sociology.... best fit in with my daily lifestyle choices and
philosophies for having fun.

What made me change my views about atheism :

1. Some atheistic ideologies were impossible to live out , truthfully
and without being hypocritical (ie: wanting moral relativism to live by yet demanding absolute moral laws be shown me from others) .
2. I became aware that the atheistic ideologies as represented by our
American Culture , were destructive and dangerous to people....and
this concerned me as i was getting deeper into them.
3. I found it took an incredible amount of faith to believe in
atheistic origins of the universe and first life on earth (which even Evolutionists validated) .
4. I found that an atheistic material universe (materialism) is not
capable of things like reason, logic, truth, love, freewill ,abstract thoughts .
5. I found there are no logical atheistic explanations for the 150+
razor precise Life Enabling Constants and Physics Constants
(anthropics) which have been scientifically discovered and are
measurable to (in some cases) a 120th decimal point critical tolerance
otherwise our Cosmos is not here and niether are we. I could accept a
few by coincidental chance, but not over 150 which are all dependent
on each other and all which must work in unison to accomplish the goal of Earth being here so we can have an incredibly suitable home.
6. I discovered in myself that I wanted to follow the truth
regardless of where it led, instead of patronizing myself into
following something I had no more confidence in ; I was even willing to forfeit my will, pride,ego, and arrogance making ME my own 'god' for the sake of the real truth.
7. I heavily investigated Theism from a scientific standpoint
including the remarkable design and engineering of things ...and
concluded that it is absurd to think it all just happened by chance
without a shred of purpose or reason.
8. I heavily investigated Christianity as well as all other major
world religions, and discovered the New Testament of the Bible to
offer more accurate historical evidences for Christ , his
ressurection, and what he claimed about himself....that it was very
compelling. I read about THE worlds most famous expert on Court of
Law evidential techniques who put the New Testament to a very
stringent test, who traded in his agnosticism to become a Christ
Follower based purely on the scientific and historical
evidences ...and I found this very compelling.
9. I discovered that modern scientific discoveries are proving the
Bible correct and are leading to a personal theistic Creator which the
Bible describes in great detail and is making an atheistic worldview an utter man-made fallacy ; a charade I just couldn't play any longer .

Thanks for reading. Dave.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2014, 12:54 PM
RE: Share your de-conversion story
Guess what Dave? You're doing it wrong. Just because you make shit up about what you think atheism means doesn't mean it's true. Here, watch......

Definition of theist: A person who bases their morality on the Green Spinach God, and therefore eats spinach twice daily. Also, all theists are born missing their left index finger, and must wear denim overalls to bed.

See what I did there? I made a bunch of shit up. So, now that you know what a theist is, you better eat up your spinach. Otherwise the Spinach God will send you to spend eternity at Starbucks.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 8 users Like Stark Raving's post
24-11-2014, 01:58 PM
(24-11-2014 09:34 AM)Im a humble little Theist Wrote:  What i found appealing about atheism , at the time :
1. Nearly all my friends were atheists so i had much commaraderie .
2. If there were no binding absolute moral laws to live by, then it offered great freedom of lifestyle choices (which i capitalized on) .
3. No one was in ultimate authority over me.
4. I wasnt owned by anyone higher than self which led to great autonomy.
5. I was at the center of the Universe, figuratively speaking , calling my own shots in life .
6. All my Teachers in school (whom i greatly respected and enjoyed) taught atheistic ideologies / worldview .
7. As Evolutionist Julian Huxley said :' Having no personal Creator (viz.God) , coincided with my sexual mores' (and Genital satisfaction via using Women was my favorite American pastime) .

All that makes about as much sense as finding Christianity appealing because you can sin all your life and then just accept Jesus and still get in to heaven. The claim that somebody is denying god in order to sin presupposes that they believe that god exists which, by definition, would make them not an atheist. This maybe hard for many theists to accept but a large number of atheists have looked at the evidence and simply concluded that it doesn't add up to a reason to believe. What they do with their life beyond that isn't atheism.

Quote:What I found convincing about atheism , at the time :

1. I looked upon my Teachers and School Text Books as virtually infallable and thus a very reliable truth source , so i accepted all they taught without question .

People can be atheists for all sorts of reasons and it is possible to be an atheist without being a skeptic. That does not in any way mean that they are wrong or right, just that they did not get to their conclusion through reasoned evaluation of the available evidence.

Quote:2. Atheisms idelogies and constructs... from a worldview and from sociology.... best fit in with my daily lifestyle choices and philosophies for having fun.

This is a repeat of what you already said and repeating it doesn't make it any more true. You seem to be saying you were an atheist because you didn't want god to exist but that isn't what it means.

Quote:What made me change my views about atheism :

1. Some atheistic ideologies were impossible to live out , truthfully and without being hypocritical (ie: wanting moral relativism to live by yet demanding absolute moral laws be shown me from others) .
2. I became aware that the atheistic ideologies as represented by our American Culture , were destructive and dangerous to people....and this concerned me as i was getting deeper into them.

No idea where you get that there are "atheistic ideologies". You seem to have atheism, secularism, and humanism conflated. They are different things (you can even be a secular humanist AND a theist at the same time).

Atheism is the lack of belief in a god or, to put it as a positive, the belief that the claims of the existence of a god have not met the burden of proof. What individual atheists think about various moral philosophies is irrelevant. Besides, even if atheists unanimously agreed on moral principles that were hypocritical or destructive and it could be shown that a god would provide a better basis it wouldn't be evidence that a god did, in fact, exist. Wanting something to be doesn't make it so.

Quote:3. I found it took an incredible amount of faith to believe in atheistic origins of the universe and first life on earth (which even Evolutionists validated) .

The incredible amount of evidence for evolution found in numerous scientific disciplines requires no faith to accept that it is the best available explanation of what happened. The incredible amount of cosmological evidence for the expanding universe resulting from what is called the "big bang" requires no faith to accept that it is the best available explanation of what happened. What takes faith is assuming, without good evidence, that a powerful intelligent agent existed before the universe did and is, in fact, responsible for creating it. To describe that as a leap of faith is to make a mockery of the word leap.

Quote:4. I found that an atheistic material universe (materialism) is not capable of things like reason, logic, truth, love, freewill ,abstract thoughts .

You have found that the universe is not capable of producing these effects? You have proof? Oh, you mean that you don't understand it, haven't actually investigated the science behind these phenomena, and simply jumped to "god did it" because that lets you tie a nice bow around the hard questions and tuck them away so you don't have to think about them ever again.

Quote:5. I found there are no logical atheistic explanations for the 150+ razor precise Life Enabling Constants and Physics Constants (anthropics) which have been scientifically discovered and are measurable to (in some cases) a 120th decimal point critical tolerance otherwise our Cosmos is not here and niether are we. I could accept a few by coincidental chance, but not over 150 which are all dependent on each other and all which must work in unison to accomplish the goal of Earth being here so we can have an incredibly suitable home.

ditto #4; "everything hasn't been fully explained" is not justification to assume "god must have done it"

Quote:6. I discovered in myself that I wanted to follow the truth regardless of where it led, instead of patronizing myself into following something I had no more confidence in ; I was even willing to forfeit my will, pride,ego, and arrogance making ME my own 'god' for the sake of the real truth.

I hear this often but I have yet to meet an atheist that considers himself to be their own god in any way. What I do meet are theists that are convinced that an all-powerful god has constructed this vast universe specifically for them and which is intimately concerned with their daily lives. The ego and arrogance of atheists doesn't hold a candle to that of theists.

Quote:7. I heavily investigated Theism from a scientific standpoint including the remarkable design and engineering of things ...and concluded that it is absurd to think it all just happened by chance without a shred of purpose or reason.

I do not believe that you conducted any scientific investigation, let alone engaged heavily in investigating anything that did not come from a theistic source.

Quote:8. I heavily investigated Christianity as well as all other major world religions, and discovered the New Testament of the Bible to offer more accurate historical evidences for Christ , his ressurection, and what he claimed about himself....that it was very compelling. I read about THE worlds most famous expert on Court of Law evidential techniques who put the New Testament to a very stringent test, who traded in his agnosticism to become a Christ Follower based purely on the scientific and historical evidences ...and I found this very compelling.

Citation needed. The NT is not a history book. Most of it was written decades after the events and then edited over centuries as the dogma morphed over time.

Quote:9. I discovered that modern scientific discoveries are proving the Bible correct and are leading to a personal theistic Creator which the Bible describes in great detail and is making an atheistic worldview an utter man-made fallacy ; a charade I just couldn't play any longer .

Citations needed. What discoveries?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
24-11-2014, 03:08 PM
(24-11-2014 09:34 AM)Im a humble little Theist Wrote:  7. As Evolutionist Julian Huxley said :' Having no personal Creator
(viz.God) , coincided with my sexual mores' (and Genital satisfaction via using Women was my favorite American pastime) .

Dear Dave, project much?

So since you couldn't keep your pecker in your pocket you make the leap of faith that no one else can without a mythical fabrication that will spank you if you if you don't keep it reeled it in? All that says to me is that you, as an individual, have little if any personal willpower.

Making all-encompassing generalizations about others based solely on your own personal lack of self control is childish.

Your point seems to be that without a god people will go around eating babies (yum, especially with BBQ sauce, but I digress) or porking everything in sight.

Your comment is akin to saying that unless a person attends AA meetings that person is a raging alcoholic, whether that person drinks or not doesn't seem to matter in your world. Ridiculous statement.

So... you needed to "find god" to control your sexual appetite. Consider
Sounds like a personal problem to me.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
24-11-2014, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2014 03:26 PM by Full Circle.)
(24-11-2014 01:58 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I hear this often but I have yet to meet an atheist that considers himself to be their own god in any way. What I do meet are theists that are convinced that an all-powerful god has constructed this vast universe specifically for them and which is intimately concerned with their daily lives. The ego and arrogance of atheists doesn't hold a candle to that of theists.

You got that right.

Forgive me but this reminds me of a letter from Mark Twain arguing in favor of the very point you make.

"How insignificant we are, with our pigmy little world!-- an atom glinting with uncounted myriads of other atom worlds in a broad shaft of light streaming from God's countenance--and yet prating complacently of our speck as the Great World, and regarding the other specks as pretty trifles made to steer our schooners by and inspire the reveries of "puppy" lovers. Did Christ live 33 years in each of the millions and millions of worlds that hold their majestic courses above our heads? Or was our small globe the favored one of all? Does one apple in a vast orchard think as much of itself as we do? or one leaf in the forest--or one grain of sand upon the sea shore? Do the pismires argue upon vexed questions of pismire theology--and do they climb a molehill and look abroad over the grand universe of an acre of ground and say "Great is God, who created all things for Us?"
- Letter to Olivia Landon (Clemens) 8 January 1870

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
24-11-2014, 03:29 PM
humble theist has it backwards, everyone is born an atheist, from there you convert to whatever delusion makes you feel warm and fuzzy, or whatever religion you happen to get "born into" (Islam in the middle east for example). You don't deconvert from atheism to theism....vice versa actually.

Working your way to atheism is an educational experience, working your way to theism is a brain washing, blind folding experience. I assert no educated in theology atheist "converts" to theism. You may have been a non believer, but if you knew the facts and historicity of the bible and jesus, you wouldn't convert to a theist, not possible Consider Well I guess ANYTHING is possible, lets just go with highly improbable. You dont go from knowing the lie, to embracing the lie....not usually I wouldnt think.

Off to class, I wish I had the time to systematically dismantle his entire post, but *sigh* real life must go on, perhaps later..

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
24-11-2014, 03:32 PM
(24-11-2014 09:34 AM)Im a humble little Theist Wrote:  7. As Evolutionist Julian Huxley said :' Having no personal Creator

You seem to have a guilt complex about this, would you like to confess your sins?

Or to put it more bluntly, did this entail some form of illegal activity such as rape?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
24-11-2014, 09:15 PM
I’m a humble little theist

I don’t have much time to help you, but I will hit a few points for you..I will post some of your….assertions, and my responses in bold.

3. I found it took an incredible amount of faith to believe in atheistic origins of the universe and first life on earth (which even Evolutionists validated) .

As I have pointed out before, atheism doesn’t require faith. Faith is the belief in something without evidence. Faith IS the delusion, belief without evidence. Faith is pretending to know things that you don't know. To say "I have faith in god" means "I pretend to know things I don't know about god"....THINK about it, you dont know, you HOPE. Faith is an epistemology. It's a method and process people use to understand reality. Faith is a failed epistemology. Showing why faith fails has been done before and done well. (Bering 2011, Harris 2004, Loftus 2010, 2013, McCormick 2012, Schick & Vaughn 2008, Shermer 1997, 2011, Smith 1979, Stenger & Barker 2012, Torres 2012, Wade 2009 etc).

If a belief is based on insufficient evidence, than any further conclusion drawn from the belief will at best be of questionable value. It is impossible to figure out which of these claims is incorrect if the tool one uses is faith. As a tool, as an epistemology, as a method of reasoning, as a process for knowing the world, faith cannot adjudicate between competing claims. The ONLY way to figure out which claims about the world are likely true, and which are likely false, is through reason and evidence. There is no other way.

5. I found there are no logical atheistic explanations for the 150+ razor precise Life Enabling Constants and Physics Constants (anthropics) which have been scientifically discovered and are measurable to (in some cases) a 120th decimal point critical tolerance otherwise our Cosmos is not here and niether are we. I could accept a few by coincidental chance, but not over 150 which are all dependent on each other and all which must work in unison to accomplish the goal of Earth being here so we can have an incredibly suitable home.

Wow…hey you know what the odds are at the very minimum that a planet would and could support life? Apparently about 1 in 300 billion. Hubble telescope can identify hundreds of billions of planets, odd that the mythical creator had to create hundreds of billions of planets to get one just right, with light and heat source that we call the sun…which incidentally is another poor design as it radiates us with cancer causing rays.

6. I discovered in myself that I wanted to follow the truth regardless of where it led, instead of patronizing myself into following something I had no more confidence in ; I was even willing to forfeit my will, pride,ego, and arrogance making ME my own 'god' for the sake of the real truth.

You were on the path to the truth when you claim you used ot be an atheist. Now you are on the path to delusion. Xtianity is the epitome of the three Fs, Fiction, Forgery, and Fantasy.

7. I heavily investigated Theism from a scientific standpoint including the remarkable design and engineering of things ...and concluded that it is absurd to think it all just happened by chance without a shred of purpose or reason.

It is absurd to think that an invisible super genie created the world, then blew into a handful of dirt and created man. That is absurd. It is absurd to think that if we are creations as we are today, then why do we have vestigial organs and bone formations within our bodies that are traceable evolutionary parts back to our fish like forefathers? Why create us with these odd bits…..this perfect god that man created?

8. I heavily investigated Christianity as well as all other major world religions, and discovered the New Testament of the Bible to offer more accurate historical evidences for Christ , his ressurection, and what he claimed about himself....that it was very compelling. I read about THE worlds most famous expert on Court of Law evidential techniques who put the New Testament to a very stringent test, who traded in his agnosticism to become a Christ Follower based purely on the scientific and historical evidences ...and I found this very compelling.

You failed in your investigation. As a educated in xtian mythology person, I have been studying and dismantling this myth for about 30 years now. If you had “heavily investigated” christianity, then you would be aware of the plethora of pseudepigrapha, interpolations, parables and allegorical writings that permeate the bible, as well as the fact that NO ONE who writes of jesus, ever knew him…no one. Fact. One I can substantiate at great length.

9. I discovered that modern scientific discoveries are proving the Bible correct and are leading to a personal theistic Creator which the Bible describes in great detail and is making an atheistic worldview an utter man-made fallacy ; a charade I just couldn't play any longer .

NO sorry, the global flood never happened, I specialize on the flood, and rather than deluge you with facts, I will simply point at Greenland. The great flood occurred 2349 BCE IAW the bible, and if it had happened, Greenland would have been destroyed, Greenland you see is made up of ice, and would have melted, broken off and slipped under the surface turning slowly into water. Weather conditions have not existed in the last 10k years to support the creation or re-creation of Greenland. The Exodus, never happened, the earth going dark when jesus allegedly was executed, never happened…the zombie invasion never happened…here let me spell that out for you..

Matthew 27:45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.

Mark 15:33 And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.

Luke 23:44-48 And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.

Unfortunately for believers, there is not one shred of evidence that this happened...zero, all of the royal scribes, historians, philosophers, and literate people who wrote down and recorded EVERYTHING of any significance, failed to note the whole earth going dark mid-day for three hours...an eclipse lasts about 7.5 min max, so it wasn’t that, and there were two renowned historians who recorded each and every eclipse, as well as any other astronomical oddity....nothing, .....zero. Never happened.

Matthew 27:51-53
King James Version (KJV)
51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Again, all the civilizations in the world that existed at the time, oddly, no one thought the world going dark was worthy of recording, not the Chinese, not the Eygptians…which by the way, were not wiped out by the mythical flood, nor did they even record an unusual amount of rainfall that year….

I will continue your schooling later.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 6 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
24-11-2014, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2014 09:49 PM by Full Circle.)
A now for your daily dose if GWG schooling, I'm afraid this is going to hurt
[Image: beatings-will-continue-until-morale-improves-5.png]

[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
25-11-2014, 02:23 AM
Mods, possible to split humble Dave's bullshit & associated responses out? They don't really fit with the thread IMO...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post