[split] Share your de-conversion story

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2017, 06:25 PM
RE: [split] Share your de-conversion story
(01-09-2017 02:54 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Clearly you have no taste. Elvis and The Beatles gave us rock. The only rock Jesus gave us was Peter. Fuck that shit! Dodgy

Agreed

Beatles:

Thumbsup

Elvis:

Thumbsup

Jeebus:

[Image: JesusOnToast2.jpg]

Blink Gtfo, hack! Dodgy

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
02-09-2017, 08:26 AM
[split] Share your de-conversion story
(10-06-2013 08:35 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  It's been suggested that we have a stickied thread for everyone to post their de-conversion stories in and I think it's a fantastic idea, so here it is.

My own de-conversion was rather boring. I gradually realised it was all bullshit, didn't have a big coming out moment but my family became aware, some of them were disappointed while others weren't bothered, there's the odd argument about religion in my house but nothing major.

I know others here have far more interesting stories though so please, begin sharing.

its obvious that you werent converted in the first place because when you truly give your life to god you reap the benefits and you stay strong. when your doubtful you recieve nothing.
02-09-2017, 08:29 AM
RE: Share your de-conversion story
(29-08-2017 03:07 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  Sometimes I think that although it's probably more painful, deconverting from a hard-line Evangelical creationist stance is easier (from a logical point of view) in the modern world than deconverting from a relatively open-minded, non-creationist, moderate Catholic/mainline Protestant upbringing.

Let me explain.

It has taken me years to view the Catholic Church as horrific; after all, when I was growing up (in the 70s and 80s) there was no (longer any) cognitive dissonance between the RCC
stance on science and modern scientific consensus: evolution, Big Bang was all cool with the RCC, so really, what did I have to rebel against? I could be scientifically literate and still a believer. The "be good to other people" message was stressed and although the Church was still misogynistic, there was some hope for change, eventually. So, for the longest time, I experienced very little cognitive dissonance. I didn't get much out of going to church on Sunday, but what was the harm? There was no real reason to question my faith.

My deconversion came much later, in the past 10 years or so, when the RCC, especially in the US, started to take political, hard-line anti-contraception, anti-abortion, anti-LGBT anti-universal healthcare stances that conflicted deeply with what I felt were correct (even Christian) moral positions. It was this hypocrisy, this conflict between what they had taught me was moral and what they were espousing now, that truly led to my deconversion, not any questioning of the Bible, since Catholics are pretty loosy-goosy about scripture anyways, relying on "tradition" and "mysteries" to answer the tougher questions. And of course there was the hypocrisy of the repeated sexual abuse scandals.

I think that if I had had to face a completely creationist stance every Sunday, I might have started questioning my beliefs much sooner.

its true Catholics are traditionalists they do everything with tradition. you should of focused on god and not people which is why everyone who leaves the faith has left. like for example seeing the man of god as a man. and losing reverence too. nobody is perfect we all make mistakes and you should of been more understanding.
02-09-2017, 10:11 AM
(02-09-2017 08:26 AM)prycejosh Wrote:  
(10-06-2013 08:35 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  It's been suggested that we have a stickied thread for everyone to post their de-conversion stories in and I think it's a fantastic idea, so here it is.

My own de-conversion was rather boring. I gradually realised it was all bullshit, didn't have a big coming out moment but my family became aware, some of them were disappointed while others weren't bothered, there's the odd argument about religion in my house but nothing major.

I know others here have far more interesting stories though so please, begin sharing.

its obvious that you werent converted in the first place because when you truly give your life to god you reap the benefits and you stay strong. when your doubtful you recieve nothing.
And it looks like we've got another one.... Belief is not a choice, I cant MAKE myself believe a 2000 year old Jewish guys rose from the dead even if I wanted to. How about I take you to the top of a skyscraper and try to convince you that gravity doesn't exist. All these apologetics we have heard before a million times, nothing new ever it seems. All you are doing is making ridiculous unfalsifiable claims, btw presuppositional apologetics are the smuggest most saddest of all.
02-09-2017, 10:13 AM
(02-09-2017 08:29 AM)prycejosh Wrote:  
(29-08-2017 03:07 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  Sometimes I think that although it's probably more painful, deconverting from a hard-line Evangelical creationist stance is easier (from a logical point of view) in the modern world than deconverting from a relatively open-minded, non-creationist, moderate Catholic/mainline Protestant upbringing.

Let me explain.

It has taken me years to view the Catholic Church as horrific; after all, when I was growing up (in the 70s and 80s) there was no (longer any) cognitive dissonance between the RCC
stance on science and modern scientific consensus: evolution, Big Bang was all cool with the RCC, so really, what did I have to rebel against? I could be scientifically literate and still a believer. The "be good to other people" message was stressed and although the Church was still misogynistic, there was some hope for change, eventually. So, for the longest time, I experienced very little cognitive dissonance. I didn't get much out of going to church on Sunday, but what was the harm? There was no real reason to question my faith.

My deconversion came much later, in the past 10 years or so, when the RCC, especially in the US, started to take political, hard-line anti-contraception, anti-abortion, anti-LGBT anti-universal healthcare stances that conflicted deeply with what I felt were correct (even Christian) moral positions. It was this hypocrisy, this conflict between what they had taught me was moral and what they were espousing now, that truly led to my deconversion, not any questioning of the Bible, since Catholics are pretty loosy-goosy about scripture anyways, relying on "tradition" and "mysteries" to answer the tougher questions. And of course there was the hypocrisy of the repeated sexual abuse scandals.

I think that if I had had to face a completely creationist stance every Sunday, I might have started questioning my beliefs much sooner.

its true Catholics are traditionalists they do everything with tradition. you should of focused on god and not people which is why everyone who leaves the faith has left. like for example seeing the man of god as a man. and losing reverence too. nobody is perfect we all make mistakes and you should of been more understanding.

Condescending prat. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post