[split] Shhh! No talking in the Resource Library.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2017, 07:55 PM
RE: Atheist / Agnostic Informational Resource Library
(28-05-2017 07:44 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(28-05-2017 07:13 PM)OmniConsUme Wrote:  

The New Japanease First Party is now basically saying the war crimes during the Imperial Period Didn't Happen.

The motives of the New Japanese First Party are obvious: they consider the war crimes of the Imperial Period are an embarrassment to their sense of national pride/identity, and want to try to pretend they're not really there. The facts haven't changed, only their willingness to be honest about them.

Dr. Finkelstein is the exact opposite of that. He has every reason to try to prop up the raison d'etre of the current Israeli state, and yet his findings have compelled him to admit that most of what we read in the Hebrew scriptures (which we now know were written nearly 500 years after the Davidic period) are fabricated or greatly, greatly embellished. He should be denying these things, if what you claim is going on here is actually true, but instead he is admitting his findings honestly, despite the fact that the current Likud Party administration would prefer to base their claims to the land for the nation of Israel on the scriptural account, so his position could land him in potential hot water.

As I said, this is the opposite of your claim.

I've watched Bucky's posts for a couple of years, now, and I've observed that he prefers to link people (most of the time) to religious scholars like Finkelstein, rather than to atheist scholars, because if they're honest academics, the end result of their research is generally useful to his points on how twisted most people's idea has become about what the Bible says and why (and how they fail to match the facts discovered via archaeology).
Thank you for mentioning that, I feel better.
Okay, To be honest If I sounded arrogant I wasn't trying to.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OmniConsUme's post
29-05-2017, 12:51 AM
(28-05-2017 07:55 PM)OmniConsUme Wrote:  To be honest If I sounded arrogant I wasn't trying to.

Laugh out load Unintentional irony for the win. This should be a bumper sticker.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-05-2017, 10:21 AM
You ever spend a day, recovering from your birthday hangover, wake up, log on, and notice that someone's derailing the resource thread? Dodgy

Yea, me neither.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
29-05-2017, 12:41 PM
It's a Resource Library. As such, some of the books and documentaries are designed to make you think outside of religious dogma (Loftus, Wells, Harrison, various podcasts) would fall into this category. Books, documentaries, and talks by Finkelstein, Ehrman, Carrier, Avalos, Thomson, Stenger etc. are experts in their field and their compilations are backed by extensive scholarly research (i.e. evidence).
29-05-2017, 01:06 PM
RE: [split] Shhh! No talking in the Resource Library.
Thread split from the Atheist / Agnostic Informational Resource Library

[Image: 5f8cc2680a9517c9edfbdac8fa22c126.jpg]

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
29-05-2017, 01:29 PM
DelJoy, I think this might've been your crowning moment Rolleyes

[Image: 0d5f3364ee8523e60673ae69e05c9180.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-05-2017, 01:53 PM
(28-05-2017 07:44 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  If you're going to make the accusation that we're shading things, you'd best bring something other than "well, some people do lie about it" as evidence that what we're saying or citing is untrue.
Yes, simply be specific if you have a concern or issue. Otherwise how would anyone begin to address it?

It is certainly true that a lot of people are deeply invested in false narratives to support unsupportable ideologies. Because of this, we should certainly want substantiation and some sense of confidence in sources that we consider legitimate. But this is just an informal discussion forum which you would need to be around for some time to get a sense of which posters are reliable / intellectually honest / careful and which ones are not (we have both, and everything in between). TTA doesn't put this forward as a journalistic or scientific source, just as a place to discuss things. But there are plenty of learned people here who will back up their statements with fact if requested.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
30-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Yeah thank you guys, Tried my first debate with a theist, And never going to debate a certain guy, Because he accused us of building a time machine to plant all the archeological evidence including early versions of the bible, not joking, I just put it on up on debate's with a theist.
[+] 1 user Likes OmniConsUme's post
02-06-2017, 08:51 PM
(30-05-2017 12:20 PM)OmniConsUme Wrote:  Yeah thank you guys, Tried my first debate with a theist, And never going to debate a certain guy, Because he accused us of building a time machine to plant all the archeological evidence including early versions of the bible, not joking, I just put it on up on debate's with a theist.

You can't help the vast majority of believers, they are entrenched in their views and will refuse to consider any evidence that does not support their worldview. I have successfully deconverted numerous individuals in my lifetime, but it takes time, and requires a willingness on the part of the theist to at least consider and introspectively question the source of their personal faith, and to be able to analyze and neutrally consider physical evidence that completely debunks the magic stories of the bible. The majority of the time, you are wasting your breath. The evidence is overwhelming, but those blinded by faith refuse to look at it in abject fear that they will lose their faith. I have learned the louder someone screams jesus, the more they are trying to cover up their own inner doubts, or have something they are trying to cover up that they hope no one would think they are capable of because they are "good god-fearing folk." Blink

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post