[split] "Shut your mouth, I don’t talk to women"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2018, 09:38 AM
[split] "Shut your mouth, I don’t talk to women"
Belgium sexism law: Man who insulted officer first to be convicted.

A man who verbally abused a female police officer has become the first person to be convicted in Belgium under a law that criminalises sexism in a public place.

A fine of €3,000 (£2,700) was handed down by a Brussels criminal court over remarks made by a man pulled over by an officer for a violation of the highway code. He was warned that a failure to pay would lead to a month in prison. The man has not been named.

The law against sexism in a public place was put on the Belgian statute books in 2014 following an outcry over a documentary that exposed the abuse faced by women on the streets of Brussels.

Shot with the use of hidden cameras, Femme de la Rue, directed by a film student, Sofie Peeters, offered a stark account of everyday sexism and sexual intimidation in the Belgian capital, including continuous catcalls, wolf whistles, and jeering.

The film led to calls for action, although laws were already in place criminalising insults, stalking, harassment and public nuisance.

The subsequent bill defined sexism as a remark or action that is “intended to express contempt”, suggests someone is inferior due to their gender or is designed to “reduce someone to his or her sexual dimension”.

The crime is prosecutable if there has been a “violation of someone’s dignity”.

And apparently, two wrongs make a right or something, as: The legislation had been criticised in some quarters as there is no parallel protection against racism, although it is criminal to incite racial hatred and violence. Facepalm

By all means, let's never ever try to right any wrong before all the other wrongs in the world have been righted. And of course, we can't right all other wrongs before this one as been righted, so...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
07-03-2018, 09:45 AM
RE: "Shut your mouth, I don’t talk to women"
Do you think it should be against the law to say sexist things in public?

Sorry for being a bit confused on your take.
Find all posts by this user
07-03-2018, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2018 10:41 AM by epronovost.)
RE: "Shut your mouth, I don’t talk to women"
In Canada there was a similar incident where a man refused to talk to and listen to a female police officer due to her gender. He was a member of the ultra orthodox jewish community of Montreal. The man was fined for refusing to cooperate with police officer. Following hte event and a public outcry, several measures were proposed. A law was suggested to prevent people to refuse to be served by women in any public service, another one would have made refusing service from a women a form a hate speech and finally it was even suggested to ammend the bill of right to subordinate freedom of religion to equality between genders. None of those laws were passed. The first one became a standard procedure in public service buildings, the second one was considered useless since refusing services from a women due to her gender could already by actionned under anti-discrimination status and the third one was considered unconstitutionnal and a dangerous precedent from the get go. It seems Belgium has decided to reinforce its anti-discrimination laws. I don't think it will produce much better results due to the difficulty to apply such a law and enforce it. It's a nice intent in my opinion, but with a clumsy application due to the definition of sexism being difficult to work within a legal setting.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
07-03-2018, 07:06 PM
RE: [split] "Shut your mouth, I don’t talk to women"
(07-03-2018 10:26 AM)epronovost Wrote:  In Canada there was a similar incident where a man refused to talk to and listen to a female police officer due to her gender.

Don't know about Canada, but around here somebody who gratuitously pisses off a cop is bucking for a Darwin award; our cops like to shoot people. Dodgy

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
07-03-2018, 07:10 PM
Let's keep this iteration of this thread for discussion of the article and reactions to the ideas in the article, please.

For ongoing character battles, please go to the Vipers Pit.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
07-03-2018, 07:18 PM
(07-03-2018 07:06 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(07-03-2018 10:26 AM)epronovost Wrote:  In Canada there was a similar incident where a man refused to talk to and listen to a female police officer due to her gender.

Don't know about Canada, but around here somebody who gratuitously pisses off a cop is bucking for a Darwin award; our cops like to shoot people. Dodgy

She called for backup from a male collegue and made sure the dude stayed in place and didn't flee; no threats, no guns and in the end got the job done.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
08-03-2018, 12:12 PM
(07-03-2018 09:38 AM)Vera Wrote:  Belgium sexism law: Man who insulted officer first to be convicted.

A man who verbally abused a female police officer has become the first person to be convicted in Belgium under a law that criminalises sexism in a public place.

A fine of €3,000 (£2,700) was handed down by a Brussels criminal court over remarks made by a man pulled over by an officer for a violation of the highway code. He was warned that a failure to pay would lead to a month in prison. The man has not been named.

The law against sexism in a public place was put on the Belgian statute books in 2014 following an outcry over a documentary that exposed the abuse faced by women on the streets of Brussels.

Shot with the use of hidden cameras, Femme de la Rue, directed by a film student, Sofie Peeters, offered a stark account of everyday sexism and sexual intimidation in the Belgian capital, including continuous catcalls, wolf whistles, and jeering.

The film led to calls for action, although laws were already in place criminalising insults, stalking, harassment and public nuisance.

The subsequent bill defined sexism as a remark or action that is “intended to express contempt”, suggests someone is inferior due to their gender or is designed to “reduce someone to his or her sexual dimension”.

The crime is prosecutable if there has been a “violation of someone’s dignity”.

And apparently, two wrongs make a right or something, as: The legislation had been criticised in some quarters as there is no parallel protection against racism, although it is criminal to incite racial hatred and violence. Facepalm

By all means, let's never ever try to right any wrong before all the other wrongs in the world have been righted. And of course, we can't right all other wrongs before this one as been righted, so...

There is not much on the details of what the individual did that was insulting. Insulting a cop though is pretty stupid, so my guess is this guy who insulted the cop got what he deserved. Still, I don't like the idea of crimes for rudeness or ass-hattery.

My guess is what this guy did probably got to the level of what in my area would be cited as "disorderly conduct" which is basically a catch all for when someone creates a disturbance, particularly when a police officer is responding to the situation, but falls just short of disobeying a police officer or obstruction. But it is just a fine of a few hundred dollars and a misdemeanor, and that seems about right for the punishment of being an ass.