[split] The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2015, 12:50 PM
[split] The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(08-11-2015 10:06 PM)yakherder Wrote:  [Image: J6Iu03p.jpg]

When I went to a gun club (once as a school outing) we shot at targets that looked like circles. I find it interesting that you guys shoot at targets that look like people.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2015, 12:53 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(09-11-2015 12:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

When I went to a gun club (once as a school outing) we shot at targets that looked like circles. I find it interesting that you guys shoot at targets that look like people.

Considering that my main purpose for going to the range is to improve on my people killing skills, it seems like a fairly rational choice to me.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 6 users Like yakherder's post
09-11-2015, 01:19 PM

Those are commonly used as well. It really depends on what you're training for. If I'm training for competition, I'll usually chose the round targets as that's what I'll be shooting at and they offer better visual for where my round is hitting vs where I'm aiming and I can troubleshoot my inaccuracy.

When I'm training for self defense, I use a human shaped target as that's what I'd be shooting at and can check my accuracy when aiming at an asymmetrical target.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
09-11-2015, 01:27 PM
(09-11-2015 01:19 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 12:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  When I went to a gun club (once as a school outing) we shot at targets that looked like circles. I find it interesting that you guys shoot at targets that look like people.

Those are commonly used as well. It really depends on what you're training for. If I'm training for competition, I'll usually chose the round targets as that's what I'll be shooting at and they offer better visual for where my round is hitting vs where I'm aiming and I can troubleshoot my inaccuracy.

When I'm training for self defense, I use a human shaped target as that's what I'd be shooting at and can check my accuracy when aiming at an asymmetrical target.

If you are using a gun for self-defense, a human looking target makes sense. I also think it helps psychologically if you ever find yourself in a position where you have to shoot someone in self-defense. I would think it would help put you in that frame of mind. I would prefer using these types of targets anyway when I get back to MA and can go practice with my brother and brother-in-law.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
09-11-2015, 02:49 PM
(09-11-2015 01:27 PM)jennybee Wrote:  If you are using a gun for self-defense, a human looking target makes sense.
Gotta say, it's such a foreign concept to me. I don't mind kids playing shoot 'em up games 'cause its just computer games, but adults shooting at targets that look like humans, is a whole 'nother level. Something I'd deem important for military, perhaps certain police, maybe people in war torn countries.
And I understand when people say they have guns for hunting animals and pests e.g. deer, rabbits, possums etc. (Do you practice on targets that look like rabbits or deer?)
When I was a kid, I'd go around the orchard shooting birds and rabbits with my slug gun. But in order to practice and sight my gun I'd just draw a series of circles on a cardboard box. I'm sure my parent's would have freaked out if I drew human figures for shooting practice.

Where I come from, if you find a person who has a stash of guns and hunting knives in their house along with human shaped targets that would be a large red flag.
But where you guys come from it seems to be seen as "normal" even though you don't really live in a dangerous country.
Anyway, not wanting this thread to be a pro-gun vs anti gun debate.
I just couldn't help myself but to make my prior comment.
09-11-2015, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 03:23 PM by jennybee.)
(09-11-2015 02:49 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 01:27 PM)jennybee Wrote:  If you are using a gun for self-defense, a human looking target makes sense.
Gotta say, it's such a foreign concept to me. I don't mind kids playing shoot 'em up games 'cause its just computer games, but adults shooting at targets that look like humans, is a whole 'nother level. Something I'd deem important for military, perhaps certain police, maybe people in war torn countries.
And I understand when people say they have guns for hunting animals and pests e.g. deer, rabbits, possums etc. (Do you practice on targets that look like rabbits or deer?)
When I was a kid, I'd go around the orchard shooting birds and rabbits with my slug gun. But in order to practice and sight my gun I'd just draw a series of circles on a cardboard box. I'm sure my parent's would have freaked out if I drew human figures for shooting practice.

Where I come from, if you find a person who has a stash of guns and hunting knives in their house along with human shaped targets that would be a large red flag.
But where you guys come from it seems to be seen as "normal" even though you don't really live in a dangerous country.

I hear what you are saying. But imo, if someone breaks into your house or attacks you and clearly intends to do you harm, you don't want to hesitate in reacting. If someone is used to shooting at circles, the fact that they are now pointing a gun at a human may cause them to hesitate. I just think a human looking target helps put you in that real world frame of mind, whereas shooting at circles is just like playing darts at a bar.

I have been learning some self defense moves and it helps to have a real (male) person to spar with. I've also been practicing "fighting" with a male friend (hence the bruise on my chin in the pic I posted in the vag and balls pic thread). I could just get a punching bag, but I don't feel like it would be as close to a potential real world situation. I feel the same way re: guns and mentally preparing myself to use one if I ever have to--which I truly hope I never ever have to do.

I tried to cover up my bruise as best as I could with make up-but you can still kind of see it. Getting hit in the face (by mistake) and sparring with a male makes me feel more confident in being able to handle myself in a real world situation. I think physical skill is very important, but even more than that--I think it's also about mentally preparing yourself for a potentially dangerous situation.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...f?page=725
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-11-2015, 03:24 PM
(09-11-2015 02:49 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

Genuine questions are ok, so long as you're willing to try to understand the answer. But no, I won't let this particular thread to get turned into a debate on guns.

As to your question about the other targets, yes. There are deer shaped ones for deer. Hell, you can buy a real size foam deer for target practice.

There are also zombie image ones just in case you want to train for the zombie apocalypse. Laugh out load

It is very much a cultural difference. Here, no one freaks out about the human shaped targets because the idea of using a gun for self defense is not a "crazy" idea. No, we don't live in an especially dangerous country, but danger is still there. I have almost been carjacked, I've had my car completely surrounded by a group of young men who most definitely did not have my best interests at heart. So, while I don't live in some third world war torn hellhole, that doesn't mean we're always safe.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
09-11-2015, 03:59 PM
If you're doing it right - the target is irrelevant.

You're supposed to be looking at the front sight --- not the target.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-11-2015, 04:00 PM

There are different kinds of targets for different purposes.

Bull's eye targets (circles) are for practicing accuracy, competition, sighting in, etc.

Outline targets of animals are for practicing hunting accuracy.

Outline targets of humans are for practicing defensive shooting.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
09-11-2015, 04:14 PM
(09-11-2015 03:59 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you're doing it right - the target is irrelevant.

You're supposed to be looking at the front sight --- not the target.

Aye, but getting a feel for the sight picture of your target can make a difference. For instance, I've trained a lot for steel match, which has me shooting 5 round targets as quickly as possible. At this point, my brain is trained very well to automatically seek the center of the circle and get off rounds as quickly as possible. So, if you put 5 circle targets in front of me, it's pretty much reflex/muscle memory on how to move, where to aim, etc.

In regards to the human shaped target, people are not nice neat circles, so it's not quite the same in terms of reflex. Training your brain to target the center of mass on a human shape requires a human shaped target.

At least this seems to be how my brain works. Results may vary.

[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post