[split] The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2015, 04:25 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(09-11-2015 03:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I hear what you are saying. But imo, if someone breaks into your house or attacks you and clearly intends to do you harm, you don't want to hesitate in reacting.
In my opinion it is highly unlikely that someone will break into my home intending to do me harm.
Perhaps a thief might come thinking that no one is home, In which case if I make some noise or turn a light on they will run away.
Perhaps a drunken person my accidently come into my house in which case I will talk to them.
I think (rightly or wrongly) that it is more likely for a family member to get depressed and shoot themselves or for an accident to happen than for me to need a gun to protect myself from a home invasion. I think it is more likely for a husband or boyfriend to use a lady's gun against her than for her to use it against a home invader.
I could be wrong, and understand that in those countries where guns are legal for defence that people make their own assessment as to whether they are safer or not with a gun in the house.

(09-11-2015 03:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  If someone is used to shooting at circles, the fact that they are now pointing a gun at a human may cause them to hesitate.
There is a big difference between shooting at a target shaped like a human and an actual human.
(09-11-2015 03:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I have been learning some self defense moves and it helps to have a real (male) person to spar with. I've also been practicing "fighting" with a male friend (hence the bruise on my chin in the pic I posted in the vag and balls pic thread). I could just get a punching bag, but I don't feel like it would be as close to a potential real world situation.
A punching bag is a great workout and it lets you punch with power but it's no good for defence or for showing up the weaknesses (telegraphing, leaving yourself open, lack of speed, predictability) in your attack. In sparring you learn to dab and pull punches rather than to do some damage. People who earn a living as sparring partners are often ill equipped in the ring, they have great defence, but generally can't win fights.

(09-11-2015 03:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I tried to cover up my bruise as best as I could with make up-but you can still kind of see it.
You're badass, show it with pride. I'm sure people will find it interesting that you do self defence.
(09-11-2015 03:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Getting hit in the face (by mistake) and sparring with a male makes me feel more confident in being able to handle myself in a real world situation.
I understand you are a sensible lady. Unless you are Ronda Roussey I'd suggest hit them where it hurts and then run. But of course I'm no defense expert. I have however sparred (kick boxing)with a lady that was a Karate black belt, her husband was the trainer, world champ in full contact karate at the time and also a solid kick boxer. I was new, but I was sure I'd be able to take his wife out if I had to. I got bruises from her, a fat lip, sore thigh, but nothing that would bother me, nothing that would stop me.
I sparred with a flatmate once. He swung a right hook at me, I got him with a quick left jab, I had no intent on the punch but had to do it quickly to beat the hook. He wobbled, and got sick that night (must have had a slight concussion). Granted he has a glass jaw, I don't. I'd back myself against most 50kg women even if they have a few years of training under their belt.
I think women's defense isn't about being able to win competitions, It's about survival, being able to break a grip, incapacitate them by hitting groin or breaking knee, or collar bone, perhaps a poke in the eyes or smashing their nose, but then run!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
09-11-2015, 04:31 PM
(09-11-2015 03:24 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  As to your question about the other targets, yes. There are deer shaped ones for deer. Hell, you can buy a real size foam deer for target practice.
It's interesting to me though. When i was practicing (ultimately for shooting birds and rabbits) it never occurred to me to draw the outline of a bird or a rabbit around my target circles. Really seems unnecessary and naff.
09-11-2015, 04:58 PM
(09-11-2015 04:25 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I sparred with a flatmate once. He swung a right hook at me, I got him with a quick left jab, I had no intent on the punch but had to do it quickly to beat the hook. He wobbled, and got sick that night (must have had a slight concussion). Granted he has a glass jaw, I don't. I'd back myself against most 50kg women even if they have a few years of training under their belt.
I think women's defense isn't about being able to win competitions, It's about survival, being able to break a grip, incapacitate them by hitting groin or breaking knee, or collar bone, perhaps a poke in the eyes or smashing their nose, but then run!

It may be highly unlikely that someone will break into your house wanting to do you harm. But you are a guy. It is very different living alone as a woman. I have had someone try to get into my house. I have been followed at night by a man. i have had numerous situations happen. You have a greater ability to physically protect yourself against a male or male attackers than I do.

Of course there is a big difference pointing a gun at an actual human v. a mock human, but to me, seeing the target in human form makes things a bit more real for me. YMMV.

I am not expecting to be Ronda Rousey if I am in a fight with a man. I am talking about learning self-defense techniques to protect myself in the event of an attack. The fact that I am able to train with a man allows me the ability to experience what an actual attack might feel like. I think often times, women are caught off guard and have no idea what to do. Self defense teaches you to react--it teaches you to know what to do. Who do you think would have a better chance to protect themselves in a potential attack--me or a random woman with no self defense training whatsoever? Of course, there is a good chance that I could still get overpowered in a dangerous situation--but I am not going down without a fight. I refuse to. I can choose to be a potential victim or I can choose to prepare myself in as many ways as possible--and that is what I choose to do. I would always prefer to run from a dangerous situation, but unfortunately that is not always an option. Often times, when women are attacked, they are also raped.

I covered up my bruise with make up because I work in a professional environment.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-11-2015, 05:15 PM
(09-11-2015 04:31 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 03:24 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  As to your question about the other targets, yes. There are deer shaped ones for deer. Hell, you can buy a real size foam deer for target practice.
It's interesting to me though. When i was practicing (ultimately for shooting birds and rabbits) it never occurred to me to draw the outline of a bird or a rabbit around my target circles. Really seems unnecessary and naff.

It's not a necessity, but the image can help as I said in my examples about training. It becomes a reflex for where to aim.

Shooting a bird or a rabbit, it is less of an issue where you aim. They are compact and a round hitting them almost anywhere is going to hurt them badly. The worst case scenario if you miss or just wound it is that it will run away. If you miss or wound an attacker, they may still be able to attack you. If your shot is bad enough, they may not even notice. President Reagan was shot and he didn't realize it until they were already on their way to the white house. Adrenaline is amazing like that. If I'm pulling my gun to defend myself, I don't want to run that risk. So I train on human shaped targets so I reflexively shoot where it will stop them.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
09-11-2015, 05:15 PM
(09-11-2015 04:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I am not expecting to be Ronda Rousey if I am in a fight with a man. I am talking about learning self-defense techniques to protect myself in the event of an attack. The fact that I am able to train with a man allows me the ability to experience what an actual attack might feel like. I think often times, women are caught off guard and have no idea what to do. Self defense teaches you to react--it teaches you to know what to do. Who do you think would have a better chance to protect themselves in a potential attack--me or a random woman with no self defense training whatsoever? Of course, there is a good chance that I could still get overpowered in a dangerous situation--but I am not going down without a fight. I refuse to. I can choose to be a potential victim or I can choose to prepare myself in as many ways as possible--and that is what I choose to do. I would always prefer to run from a dangerous situation, but unfortunately that is not always an option. Often times, when women are attacked, they are also raped.
My 6 year old daughter is learning martial arts. I think every girl could benefit from it, but I do think at some stage she may be better to do a self defense course for women rather than a martial arts course. I also think BJJ would be good, because in terms of rape situation it may allow her to control her attacker be they a stranger or a familiar. Anyway, having two young daughters it is something I worry about.
09-11-2015, 05:32 PM
(09-11-2015 05:15 PM)Stevil Wrote:  My 6 year old daughter is learning martial arts. I think every girl could benefit from it, but I do think at some stage she may be better to do a self defense course for women rather than a martial arts course.

Aikido.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-11-2015, 05:33 PM
(09-11-2015 04:25 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 03:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I hear what you are saying. But imo, if someone breaks into your house or attacks you and clearly intends to do you harm, you don't want to hesitate in reacting.
In my opinion it is highly unlikely that someone will break into my home intending to do me harm.
Perhaps a thief might come thinking that no one is home, In which case if I make some noise or turn a light on they will run away.
Perhaps a drunken person my accidently come into my house in which case I will talk to them.
I think (rightly or wrongly) that it is more likely for a family member to get depressed and shoot themselves or for an accident to happen than for me to need a gun to protect myself from a home invasion. I think it is more likely for a husband or boyfriend to use a lady's gun against her than for her to use it against a home invader.
I could be wrong, and understand that in those countries where guns are legal for defence that people make their own assessment as to whether they are safer or not with a gun in the house.

(09-11-2015 03:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  If someone is used to shooting at circles, the fact that they are now pointing a gun at a human may cause them to hesitate.
There is a big difference between shooting at a target shaped like a human and an actual human.
(09-11-2015 03:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I have been learning some self defense moves and it helps to have a real (male) person to spar with. I've also been practicing "fighting" with a male friend (hence the bruise on my chin in the pic I posted in the vag and balls pic thread). I could just get a punching bag, but I don't feel like it would be as close to a potential real world situation.
A punching bag is a great workout and it lets you punch with power but it's no good for defence or for showing up the weaknesses (telegraphing, leaving yourself open, lack of speed, predictability) in your attack. In sparring you learn to dab and pull punches rather than to do some damage. People who earn a living as sparring partners are often ill equipped in the ring, they have great defence, but generally can't win fights.

(09-11-2015 03:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I tried to cover up my bruise as best as I could with make up-but you can still kind of see it.
You're badass, show it with pride. I'm sure people will find it interesting that you do self defence.
(09-11-2015 03:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Getting hit in the face (by mistake) and sparring with a male makes me feel more confident in being able to handle myself in a real world situation.
I understand you are a sensible lady. Unless you are Ronda Roussey I'd suggest hit them where it hurts and then run. But of course I'm no defense expert. I have however sparred (kick boxing)with a lady that was a Karate black belt, her husband was the trainer, world champ in full contact karate at the time and also a solid kick boxer. I was new, but I was sure I'd be able to take his wife out if I had to. I got bruises from her, a fat lip, sore thigh, but nothing that would bother me, nothing that would stop me.
I sparred with a flatmate once. He swung a right hook at me, I got him with a quick left jab, I had no intent on the punch but had to do it quickly to beat the hook. He wobbled, and got sick that night (must have had a slight concussion). Granted he has a glass jaw, I don't. I'd back myself against most 50kg women even if they have a few years of training under their belt.

Just stop. This is not the thread you're looking for. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-11-2015, 05:35 PM
(09-11-2015 05:15 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 04:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I am not expecting to be Ronda Rousey if I am in a fight with a man. I am talking about learning self-defense techniques to protect myself in the event of an attack. The fact that I am able to train with a man allows me the ability to experience what an actual attack might feel like. I think often times, women are caught off guard and have no idea what to do. Self defense teaches you to react--it teaches you to know what to do. Who do you think would have a better chance to protect themselves in a potential attack--me or a random woman with no self defense training whatsoever? Of course, there is a good chance that I could still get overpowered in a dangerous situation--but I am not going down without a fight. I refuse to. I can choose to be a potential victim or I can choose to prepare myself in as many ways as possible--and that is what I choose to do. I would always prefer to run from a dangerous situation, but unfortunately that is not always an option. Often times, when women are attacked, they are also raped.
My 6 year old daughter is learning martial arts. I think every girl could benefit from it, but I do think at some stage she may be better to do a self defense course for women rather than a martial arts course. I also think BJJ would be good, because in terms of rape situation it may allow her to control her attacker be they a stranger or a familiar. Anyway, having two young daughters it is something I worry about.

This thread needs to be split.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2015, 05:35 PM
If you've properly trained for self defense shooting -- the shape of the target is absolutely immaterial --- as you should be shooting at center mass of the threat.

That means if all you can see is the guy's little finger -- that's what you aim at. (granted that's an pretty unlikely self defense target -- I'm making a point)

Your target might be behind concealment or cover - in which case you may not have a full silhouette.

Most self defense situations occur at a range of less than 21 feet. All you have to do is be able to hit anywhere on a standard piece of white letter paper. When we had classes here at my house - we rarely used bullseye targets. Just a plain piece of paper. Self defense shooting is less about pinpoint accuracy - but quick target assessment, and getting as many shots as needed onto the target as quickly as possible --- and stopping as soon as the threat ceases..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-11-2015, 07:20 AM
RE: [split] The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(09-11-2015 05:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 05:15 PM)Stevil Wrote:  My 6 year old daughter is learning martial arts. I think every girl could benefit from it, but I do think at some stage she may be better to do a self defense course for women rather than a martial arts course.

Aikido.

I agree. I'm a small guy, and although I'm pretty strong for a small guy, I'm still not going to stand toe to toe with most guys in a knock down drag out fist fight. As far as self defense styles go, Aikido suits me best.

My sensei was a woman who was maybe 5 feet tall. She could throw 6 foot men around like they were rag dolls. Thumbsup

Most of the people in my classes were women who were smaller than me, but they had no problem using Aikido to throw us guys into the mat. hehe. Sensei Vecchio used to tell us that practicing Aikido was the art of becoming one with the mat. Laugh out load

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post