[split] The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2015, 07:25 AM
RE: [split] The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(09-11-2015 05:35 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you've properly trained for self defense shooting -- the shape of the target is absolutely immaterial --- as you should be shooting at center mass of the threat.

That means if all you can see is the guy's little finger -- that's what you aim at. (granted that's an pretty unlikely self defense target -- I'm making a point)

Your target might be behind concealment or cover - in which case you may not have a full silhouette.

Most self defense situations occur at a range of less than 21 feet. All you have to do is be able to hit anywhere on a standard piece of white letter paper. When we had classes here at my house - we rarely used bullseye targets. Just a plain piece of paper. Self defense shooting is less about pinpoint accuracy - but quick target assessment, and getting as many shots as needed onto the target as quickly as possible --- and stopping as soon as the threat ceases..

Again, it's not necessary, but it helps my train my mind more than my accuracy. As you say, the quick target assessment part. If my mind is more used to focusing on the center of mass of a human shape, I have to think about where to aim less.

I could just be talking out of my ass and it doesn't matter in the real world. I've never had to pull my gun, just flash it a few times to dissuade people from robbing/beating me up.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
10-11-2015, 07:49 AM
(09-11-2015 05:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  Just stop. This is not the thread you're looking for. Angry

Well it got pretty far. Now that Saint Evil fucked it up, I can come over here and run my neck. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
10-11-2015, 09:15 AM
(10-11-2015 07:20 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 05:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Aikido.

I agree. I'm a small guy, and although I'm pretty strong for a small guy, I'm still not going to stand toe to toe with most guys in a knock down drag out fist fight. As far as self defense styles go, Aikido suits me best.

My sensei was a woman who was maybe 5 feet tall. She could throw 6 foot men around like they were rag dolls. Thumbsup

Most of the people in my classes were women who were smaller than me, but they had no problem using Aikido to throw us guys into the mat. hehe. Sensei Vecchio used to tell us that practicing Aikido was the art of becoming one with the mat. Laugh out load
From watching demonstrations, once live but mostly online, to me it looks like Aikido is really ineffective in real life scenarios.
I had a very troubled youth, living in a bad neighborhood, I`ve been in who knows how many fights and have some martial arts training, karate, BJJ and boxing.
Attacks practiced against in Aikido do not resemble real life attacks at all, although joint manipulation can be very useful some times.
Just my two cents.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
10-11-2015, 09:18 AM
thought aikido was non-violent and shit (from Walking Dead just now)

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2015, 09:44 AM
Aikido in the real world sucks ass. It was designed to suck as a matter of fact.

Put an Aikido person with someone that does MMA and the the Aikido person will get beat to a pulp.
10-11-2015, 09:46 AM
(10-11-2015 09:44 AM)KUSA Wrote:  Aikido in the real world sucks ass. It was designed to suck as a matter of fact.

Put an Aikido person with someone that does MMA and the the Aikido person will get beat to a pulp.

Well, then I'm glad I carry a gun... Drinking Beverage

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
10-11-2015, 11:57 AM
(10-11-2015 09:46 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 09:44 AM)KUSA Wrote:  Aikido in the real world sucks ass. It was designed to suck as a matter of fact.

Well, then I'm glad I carry a gun... Drinking Beverage

Me too. Even though I've practiced martial arts for many years I've found out that there is always someone that can kick your ass.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
10-11-2015, 12:10 PM
(10-11-2015 11:57 AM)KUSA Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 09:46 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Well, then I'm glad I carry a gun... Drinking Beverage

Me too. Even though I've practiced martial arts for many years I've found out that there is always someone that can kick your ass.

And as I've said before, I am very small for a male. I couldn't stand toe to toe with even an average sized man. But simply having a gun on me has made multiple men who were larger than me decide not to mess with me or my car.

10-11-2015, 01:00 PM
(10-11-2015 12:10 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 11:57 AM)KUSA Wrote:  Me too. Even though I've practiced martial arts for many years I've found out that there is always someone that can kick your ass.

And as I've said before, I am very small for a male. I couldn't stand toe to toe with even an average sized man. But simply having a gun on me has made multiple men who were larger than me decide not to mess with me or my car.

I can't imagine how it is to be small.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
10-11-2015, 01:21 PM
(10-11-2015 01:00 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 12:10 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  And as I've said before, I am very small for a male. I couldn't stand toe to toe with even an average sized man. But simply having a gun on me has made multiple men who were larger than me decide not to mess with me or my car.

I can't imagine how it is to be small.

Just look in your pants.
[+] 4 users Like KUSA's post