[split] The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2015, 03:04 PM
RE: [split] The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
One of the problems with many martial arts is their unnecessary complexity. It's just not practical for a casual martial artist to expect to learn a few hundred joint locks and various tricks. It works fine in a relaxed atmosphere, but once that real situation occurs your amygdala shuts off your neocortex in preparation for quick, instinctive, life saving reactions, good luck remembering any of that stuff until after the confrontation is over. Then you'll think to yourself "Oh yeah, why didn't I do this?"

The advantage of arts like Muay Thai are that there is actually a relatively small number of techniques you end up putting to use. But... you're constantly drilling those techniques to the point where you don't have to think, just react instinctively,

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." Bruce Lee

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
10-11-2015, 03:15 PM
(10-11-2015 02:58 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 02:43 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  So...

Geissele SD-3G or SD-E for a new trigger in an LR-308?

The 3G has a much lighter trigger pull; other than that, they seem to almost the same. Consider

I don't dislike the triggers on my AR or LR enough to spend $250+.

I do. I'm running a couple of the SD-E triggers already. The Geisslel triggers last a lot longer than the Rock River National Match Triggers too. They are a huge improvement over a factory trigger or even a Del-Ton enhanced trigger. But I run aftermarket triggers in most of my long guns. Even my 10/22 has a Timney drop in which is a $200 plus trigger group.

[Image: Ruger%2010-22%20a_zpsdxzwap4p.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
10-11-2015, 03:22 PM
(10-11-2015 03:04 PM)yakherder Wrote:  One of the problems with many martial arts is their unnecessary complexity. It's just not practical for a casual martial artist to expect to learn a few hundred joint locks and various tricks. It works fine in a relaxed atmosphere, but once that real situation occurs your amygdala shuts off your neocortex in preparation for quick, instinctive, life saving reactions, good luck remembering any of that stuff until after the confrontation is over. Then you'll think to yourself "Oh yeah, why didn't I do this?"

The advantage of arts like Muay Thai are that there is actually a relatively small number of techniques you end up putting to use. But... you're constantly drilling those techniques to the point where you don't have to think, just react instinctively,

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." Bruce Lee

This is true. I notice when capoera players fight, the use a normal fighting stance instead of the ginga.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
10-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Interesting video, in regards to possible lessons to be learned, of a failed tazer attempt resulting in an officer getting stabbed a bunch before finally getting to his firearm.

The video isn't in a format that can be embedded here, so you'll have to follow the link.
https://activeselfprotection.com/officer...ed-skills/

'Murican Canadian
10-11-2015, 10:12 PM
(10-11-2015 02:37 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  The incident where my car got surrounded was one street away from my house, I was on my way home from the store. I don't live in a bad area, but there are still people that would and could harm me given the chance.
Yeah, that sounds weird.
Were they boy racers, drunken party goers or something?
Did they mistake you for someone else?
10-11-2015, 10:22 PM
(10-11-2015 02:50 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Disengagement and getting away if you have an obvious opportunity to do so isn't just the most likely to result in your survival, it's the most likely to keep you out of jail. If someone is a threat to you and getting away isn't an option, I firmly believe you should fight them with all the savagery and ruthlessness you can muster. But the second you have a clear opportunity to get away without placing other potential victims in danger, but choose not to, now you get to try and explain to a jury how unnecessarily continuing the fight qualifies as self defense.
Yeah, I don't really understand it when people keep kicking someone when they are down, especially kicking someone in the head.

I'm generally a confident fighter, I don't tend to have to get savage at all. Give them a couple of warning slugs and hope they then back away. But for someone less confident I guess they don't want to give the other person opportunities to punch at them so they may need to go in full throttle. Offense being the best defense for an unskilled fight.

I haven't had to fight in my adult years though, I've had some moments where something may have turned into a fight, but really I have nothing to prove, I don't care about backing down. I have nothing to gain from fighting a stranger, if I win, who cares, if I lose I may get some serious damage. So what's the point?

I can see why a person may feel that when they flashed a gun and their opponent leaves that it was the gun that stopped an inevitable fight. But really, most altercations don't end up as fights. It's just like two cats come too close to each other, they bend their backs, posture, growl and then more often than not back off. Well if you are one of the cats, don't snarl, don't bend your back, just say "whatever" and back off. Don't appear scared cause it will make your opponent brave, just appear disinterested.
10-11-2015, 10:23 PM
(10-11-2015 02:37 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 02:00 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I don't know anything about Aikido. My little girl does tai kwon do, and I'm not too impressed by it. Mostly kicking, but in the real world kicks aren't that useful, fighters get in close and it becomes a brawl and a wrestle.

At least with Karate they learn to punch as well. But even then, they get used to pulling their punches.

With Kick boxing or thai boxing its more full on, but because it's so rough it's off putting for many women.

BJJ is great because a small (skilled) opponent can easily control and disable a bigger, stronger opponent. But my wife doesn't like the idea of it because she doesn't want my girl wrestling and holding the boys.

But the thing is, girls want to learn to be safe, not necessarily to learn to compete for competition. There are "self defense" courses which don't focus on a specific brand of martial arts but instead just teach the things necessary to break a grip, to incapacitate in some way (e.g. kick in the groin, fingers in the eye) and then to run.

Of course the best form of defense is to be weary, don't get yourself into situations where you need to fight or pull a gun.

I'm guessing you meant wary, but yeah. The best bet is to never get into a situation that may require violence, and I hope to live the rest of my life not ever getting into another situation like that. Unfortunately, the reality of life is that sometimes trouble finds you.

The incident where my car got surrounded was one street away from my house, I was on my way home from the store. I don't live in a bad area, but there are still people that would and could harm me given the chance.

Wow, I'm glad nothing bad happened to you. Hug

I think it's easy to be lulled into the idea that nothing bad is going to happen to you simply because you live in a nice area. But criminals can and do come to nicer areas too. I try not to let my guard down no matter where I am. It sucks, but it's the way it is.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-11-2015, 05:48 AM
[split] The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(10-11-2015 02:43 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  So...

Geissele SD-3G or SD-E for a new trigger in an LR-308?

I always go with the high speed match. I like precision work.
https://geissele.com/hi-speed-national-m...igger.html
11-11-2015, 07:57 AM
(10-11-2015 10:12 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 02:37 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  The incident where my car got surrounded was one street away from my house, I was on my way home from the store. I don't live in a bad area, but there are still people that would and could harm me given the chance.
Yeah, that sounds weird.
Were they boy racers, drunken party goers or something?
Did they mistake you for someone else?

It was a group of guys standing around in the street. I was trying to get past them so I could get home. They didn't move as I drove up, so I tapped my horn. They then started surrounding my car and shouting at me. I was in a convertible with the top down, so rolling up the window and ignoring them wasn't an option. I lifted my shirt on the side where my gun was, placed my hand on the grip, and they started backing away. I drove off.

They may have been drunk or simply just assholes, I wasn't about to stick around to get to know their story.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
11-11-2015, 07:58 AM
(10-11-2015 10:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 02:37 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I'm guessing you meant wary, but yeah. The best bet is to never get into a situation that may require violence, and I hope to live the rest of my life not ever getting into another situation like that. Unfortunately, the reality of life is that sometimes trouble finds you.

The incident where my car got surrounded was one street away from my house, I was on my way home from the store. I don't live in a bad area, but there are still people that would and could harm me given the chance.

Wow, I'm glad nothing bad happened to you. Hug

I think it's easy to be lulled into the idea that nothing bad is going to happen to you simply because you live in a nice area. But criminals can and do come to nicer areas too. I try not to let my guard down no matter where I am. It sucks, but it's the way it is.

Yeah, I had family friend who was shot in the head for the $200 in his wallet. He was in a very nice part of town when it happened. Bad shit can happen anywhere.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister