[split] Thoughts on the subject of transgender by Caveman

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2013, 03:44 PM
RE: [split] Thoughts on the subject of transgender by Caveman
Let me try this again. Open minded folks. If you are transgendered, I don't hate you! And I hope you are happy! But you can't ell me, I won't believe you, that this change in your life is simple and shouldn't be discussed. Anyone here had the operation? Anyone?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Maybe we're just not qualified to hold the level of discussion you're talking about. Of course it should be discussed, we do need some trans people in the conversation though... and maybe some professionals too.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
19-07-2013, 03:49 PM
(19-07-2013 03:47 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Maybe we're just not qualified to hold the level of discussion you're talking about. Of course it should be discussed, we do need some trans people in the conversation though... and maybe some professionals too.

Thank you! I am not a hater! Promise!
19-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Being the mother of someone who is transgender (as dancefortwo is) isn't good enough? Knowing transgender people isn't good enough?

Got it.

And I'm out.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

19-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:Let me try this again. Open minded folks. If you are transgendered, I don't hate you! And I hope you are happy! But you can't ell me, I won't believe you, that this change in your life is simple and shouldn't be discussed. Anyone here had the operation? Anyone?
"Transgendered" does not mean a person who has had sexual reassignment surgery. Transgendered is what you call a person who is gender dysphoric and considers themselves a member of a different gender than what their birth certificate says. It has nothing to do with how they dress or if they've had surgeries, it has to do with how they feel.

You are talking about people who have had sexual reassignment surgery. There is a difference. Sorry, feeling a bit pedantic today, but grouping all transpeople together like this is problematic, IMO.

And I doubt anyone has suggested it's a simple thing that shouldn't be discussed. Most transpeople have been thinking about it and discussing it their entire lives.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
19-07-2013, 04:05 PM
(19-07-2013 03:26 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-07-2013 03:05 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  The question is "Will this make them happy?" I hope that it will! But we have to explore the idea that it may do the opposite! Will it make them happy? Or will it kill them?

I think the problem is that you have an "ick" factor going on. It might help people greatly who have a support system intact. Those who are surrounded by people telling them they're making a mistake -- will very likely have a different outcome.

We do need to vastly improve out mental health care in this country -- no argument from me at all. The lines you draw here seem to be etched in stone and not drawn in sand.

Is the road harder for transgender people? Yes! But we collectively can make it a little easier for them by showing them compassion and empathy, rather than treating them like their weird or strange.

I really think they're brave because they dare to live their dreams and make them as close to reality as they can.

"I think the problem is that you have an "ick" factor going on. It might help people greatly who have a support system intact."

I think I do. But I'm not talking about my "ick" factor. I am talking about the general "ick" factor and the fact that it is real. And can be VERY hurtful! (Sorry, I know you don't like all caps.) The "ick" factor is real! And it will be real for those, my beloved brothers and sisters, who have surgery to change their sex. The "ick" factor (just speculating) can cause beatings, hateful talk, even death!
19-07-2013, 04:11 PM
(19-07-2013 04:05 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  I think I do. But I'm not talking about my "ick" factor. I am talking about the general "ick" factor and the fact that it is real. And can be VERY hurtful! (Sorry, I know you don't like all caps.) The "ick" factor is real! And it will be real for those, my beloved brothers and sisters, who have surgery to change their sex. The "ick" factor (just speculating) can cause beatings, hateful talk, even death!

So, if I understand you correctly, you think these people should live as a gender they don't feel fits them to avoid judgment by others? To me, it sounds like you're completely ignoring the gender dysphoria aspect. It is ALSO problematic for them to live as the gender they don't want to be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-07-2013, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2013 04:51 PM by nach_in.)
(19-07-2013 03:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Being the mother of someone who is transgender (as dancefortwo is) isn't good enough? Knowing transgender people isn't good enough?

Got it.

And I'm out.

Maybe not. I'm not saying that it isn't worthy, I just think that ameron wants a full blown proffesional debate about the risks and consequences of sex reassignment surgery, medically, psychologically and sociologically.

There's a limitation to the depth of our debates here Confused

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
19-07-2013, 04:23 PM
(19-07-2013 03:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Being the mother of someone who is transgender (as dancefortwo is) isn't good enough? Knowing transgender people isn't good enough?

Got it.

And I'm out.

Hang on! You could help, here! You probably don't like me because of the questions I have been asking. Never mind. I am just talking, because I found this place. Now I feel bad, like I can't talk. Like I did something wrong. My life has been so hard! Now I don't feel welcome. I feel as bad as ever. I just like to talk. I don't like to hurt.
19-07-2013, 04:34 PM
(19-07-2013 04:23 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  

Got it.

And I'm out.

Hang on! You could help, here! You probably don't like me because of the questions I have been asking. Never mind. I am just talking, because I found this place. Now I feel bad, like I can't talk. Like I did something wrong. My life has been so hard! Now I don't feel welcome. I feel as bad as ever. I just like to talk. I don't like to hurt.

I have never said I don't like you.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon