[split] Thoughts on the subject of transgender by Caveman

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2013, 04:43 PM
RE: [split] Thoughts on the subject of transgender by Caveman
(19-07-2013 04:15 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(19-07-2013 03:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Being the mother of someone who is transgender (as dancefortwo is) isn't good enough? Knowing transgender people isn't good enough?

Got it.

And I'm out.

Maybe not. It's not say that it isn't worthy, I just think that ameron wants a full blown proffesional debate about the risks and consequences of sex reassignment surgery, medically, psychologically and sociologically.

Yea. But now I think I just hurt people. I kind of feel like I should leave. I am crying over it. If I hurt you Momsurroundedbyboys, or anyone else, I apologize! I don't know what to do anymore! I don't have any real friends, and now I can't talk
There's a limitation to the depth of our debates here Confused
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2013, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2013 05:00 PM by nach_in.)
(19-07-2013 04:43 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  
(19-07-2013 04:15 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Maybe not. It's not say that it isn't worthy, I just think that ameron wants a full blown proffesional debate about the risks and consequences of sex reassignment surgery, medically, psychologically and sociologically.

There's a limitation to the depth of our debates here Confused
Yea. But now I think I just hurt people. I kind of feel like I should leave. I am crying over it. If I hurt you Momsurroundedbyboys, or anyone else, I apologize! I don't know what to do anymore! I don't have any real friends, and now I can't talk

Relax! we're here to talk, we do get heated in the debates here though, but it isn't personal. You do raise interesting questions, and you're trying to define a very thin (if even existent) line, with a lot of political and emotional baggage. So this topic is bound to get loud Tongue

But we understand your position, and regardless of our own opinions, we won't attack you or shut you up. Unless you start making people feel bad on purpose, but that's just trolling and you're not a troll Big Grin

A piece of advice. If you feel you're not conveying your ideas properly and people is not understanding you, take more time to answer, this is a forum, not a chat room, so answers can wait. You can write a draft, and check it later, that way you can see if your words mean what you wanted them to mean, or if they're too "mood sensitive" (the interpretation depends on the reader's state of mind) or whatever... Specially if it's a delicate topic like this Wink

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
19-07-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm sorry Momsurroundedbyboys.

I have been through the mill. My youngest brother was murdered. We still don't know who did it or why. Dad was an alcoholic My other brother is schizophrenic, and I take care of him. I have no children and live alone. (except for my brother.) So the fact that I have hurt you, hurts me. So, I don't know what to do. Should I go away? I was looking for people to talk to, not people to hurt,
19-07-2013, 05:04 PM
(19-07-2013 04:56 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(19-07-2013 04:43 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  Yea. But now I think I just hurt people. I kind of feel like I should leave. I am crying over it. If I hurt you Momsurroundedbyboys, or anyone else, I apologize! I don't know what to do anymore! I don't have any real friends, and now I can't talk

Relax! we're here to talk, we do get heated in the debates here though, but it isn't personal. You do raise interesting questions, and you're trying to define a very thin (if even existent) line, with a lot of political and emotional baggage. So this topic is bound to get loud Tongue

But we understand your position, and regardless of our own opinions, we won't attack you or shut you up. Unless you start making people feel bad on purpose, but that's just trolling and you're not a troll Big Grin

A piece of advice. If you feel you're not conveying your ideas properly and people is not understanding you, take more time to answer, this is a forum, not a chat room, so answers can wait. You can write a draft, and check it later, that way you can see if your words mean what you wanted them to mean, or if they're too "mood sensitive" (the interpretation depends on the reader's state of mind) or whatever... Specially if it's a delicate topic like this Wink

Thanks. I just don't want to hurt anyone.
19-07-2013, 05:06 PM
So far I've not been personally hurt by anything you've said ameron1963. Mystified but not hurt.

I think this discussion has become a bit circular.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Well, I'm not Moms, but I interpreted her comment as meaning you specifically only wanted to talk to people who have had sexual reassignment surgery themselves, rather than people who know people who had it, and your comment on the matter could have been interpreted as not wanting to talk to the rest of us.

As for your posts in general, I'd say that you are right to be concerned about the impact of these kinds of surgery, but I still think it's worthwhile to weigh the pros and cons (not just of the surgeries, but of forcing a transperson to NOT get surgery and NOT live as the gender they see themselves as).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
19-07-2013, 05:09 PM
(19-07-2013 04:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-07-2013 04:23 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  Hang on! You could help, here! You probably don't like me because of the questions I have been asking. Never mind. I am just talking, because I found this place. Now I feel bad, like I can't talk. Like I did something wrong. My life has been so hard! Now I don't feel welcome. I feel as bad as ever. I just like to talk. I don't like to hurt.

I have never said I don't like you.

No. But I don't want to hurt you. You have a transgendered child. My comments were not men to hurt,
19-07-2013, 05:15 PM
(19-07-2013 05:04 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  Thanks. I just don't want to hurt anyone.

Should have thought of that when you made that god awful analogy to me before... Drinking Beverage

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
19-07-2013, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2013 05:24 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(19-07-2013 05:09 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  
(19-07-2013 04:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I have never said I don't like you.

No. But I don't want to hurt you. You have a transgendered child. My comments were not men to hurt,

No, I don't. Dancefortwo does.

I do know a few people who do identify as transgender. I also know two who had surgeries (partial I believe).

19-07-2013, 05:22 PM
(19-07-2013 05:08 PM)amyb Wrote:  Well, I'm not Moms, but I interpreted her comment as meaning you specifically only wanted to talk to people who have had sexual reassignment surgery themselves, rather than people who know people who had it, and your comment on the matter could have been interpreted as not wanting to talk to the rest of us.

As for your posts in general, I'd say that you are right to be concerned about the impact of these kinds of surgery, but I still think it's worthwhile to weigh the pros and cons (not just of the surgeries, but of forcing a transperson to NOT get surgery and NOT live as the gender they see themselves as).

That was exactly how I took it. Thanks for finding the words to explain it -- because I couldn't think of how to word it.