[split] Thoughts on the subject of transgender by Caveman

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2013, 02:03 PM
RE: [split] Thoughts on the subject of transgender by Caveman
It's true that I haven't researched this. Send me some quick stuff and I will look at it. But my post is not about hatred of anyone, it is a matter of concern. Surgery to alter ones sex is a very serious matter! I would like to know the percentage of people who are happy with or regret the change. I am not a gay basher or a hater. I have had gay sex myself. But, for me, this is a scary idea.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2013, 02:05 PM
(17-07-2013 01:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-07-2013 01:10 PM)Caveman Wrote:  You are missing a very vital function.
You don't consider that a handicap?

No. Btdt twice. Can't anymore. That argument is silly. Why on earth would I consider not getting pregnant a handicap?

Well, I haven't btdt, and I still don't consider it a handicap (can't due to hormonal issues and am on at least 2 meds that either cause abortion (MTX) or fatal birth defects). Hell, I don't even consider it a "very vital function." Vital means it's necessary, and I can certainly live without having kids (and if I wanted them, I could adopt). Anyway,lots of people who can't get pregnant (or are shooting blanks, in the case of men) live healthy, happy lives and do not call themselves "handicapped."

The issue here is quality of life though: if a person is born male and would be happier female, he can transition and may have a happier life. If other people can't understand that, fuck those people. There are many supportive people out there, too. You can't argue, "oh but what if they get made fun of?" because lots of people get made fun of, even for things like hair color, skin color, weight, etc. The people know what's involved, and this also assumes their happiness is based on whether or not some assholes they probably don't even know "approve" of the way they live their life. This is bullshit. Their happiness doesn't depend on your approval.

As for sexual reassignment surgery, if you don't like it, don't get one. (And to reiterate, not all transpeople get it or feel they need it; and it doesn't involve "chopping off the penis." There are some episodes of Dr 90210 on Netflix where such surgeries are explained more in detail, if you're interested.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
17-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Amy there is so much to like about what you wrote!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-07-2013, 02:31 PM
(17-07-2013 02:03 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  It's true that I haven't researched this. Send me some quick stuff and I will look at it. But my post is not about hatred of anyone, it is a matter of concern. Surgery to alter ones sex is a very serious matter! I would like to know the percentage of people who are happy with or regret the change. I am not a gay basher or a hater. I have had gay sex myself. But, for me, this is a scary idea.

It is an extreme solution to an extreme problem. It is not a first option for anyone, even those who end up having these procedures spent years in therapy and counseling beforehand.

http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/programs/transgender/
http://www.genderpsychology.org/
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-...identities

There is a bit of information for you to help explain the psychology of this issue. Now all this being said I do believe that a good portion of transgender people have some extensive problems that simply having this procedure will not be a panacea for. But it is a start and while it wont solve all their problems it will allow them to move past a major one and begin working on other things.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
17-07-2013, 02:43 PM
I can't fathom why having kids is vital. No one dies from not having them. And more kids is certainly not vital for the human race, quite the opposite, would be great of people stopped multiplying like rats and screwing up the planet with it.

It is also not a handicap, I am very happy with my decision not to have kids. If I feel like mothering some, there are a ton of kids who don't get enough of that. I could always volunteer.

As far as transgender goes:

If it's just something a person feels they would be happier with, why not? Lots of people think they'd be happier with big boobs and get some, and no one gets upset about it.

If they appear to be one gender physically, but they can't make themselves adapt to that role in life, a lot of people kill themselves because they think they are misfits. That's not acceptable when there is a better solution.

And I fail to see a handicap in any of that.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
17-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Revenant77x:

Thanks for your response. I am about to get off here. But I will look at the links you sent me at a later date.

" transgender people have some extensive problems that simply having this procedure will not be a panacea for." This is what worries me.

Has anyone here had the surgery? And how do you feel about it now?
17-07-2013, 02:51 PM
By the way, the word "simply" bothers me. This is a life altering procedure, not a "simple" one.
17-07-2013, 02:55 PM
(17-07-2013 02:51 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  By the way, the word "simply" bothers me. This is a life altering procedure, not a "simple" one.

You do understand that it's not something that one can just wake up one morning and decide to do either.

17-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Love to you all, irrigardless (just wanted to misuse that nonword) of your sexual proclivities! This ain't about that! It's about the decision to chop off or past on a weenie! Serious decision, folks!
17-07-2013, 03:08 PM
(17-07-2013 03:05 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  Love to you all, irrigardless (just wanted to misuse that nonword) of your sexual proclivities! This ain't about that! It's about the decision to chop off or past on a weenie! Serious decision, folks!

And you do understsnd one must go through years of therapy before its even a reality? Again, it's not as simple as just waking up and doing it. It's a painstaking process. Some are never cleared for surgery even if they can afford it.