[split] W00t

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 11:46 AM
RE: W00t
(09-10-2014 11:37 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 11:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  Since his statement isn't actually true, who are these imagined Crusaders?

The people who attack any theist who turns up and doesn't instantly deconvert. This place was, when I joined, a place where you could discuss things with theists and, whilst you didn't agree with them, you were respectful and the convos were interesting. Now, every theist who joins gets run of by a certain few assholes who in some cases think theists shouldn't be welcome here, and in other cases are too stupid to differentiate between someone preaching, and someone explaining their views.

You would be describing Taq and Chippy. Are there others?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2014, 11:47 AM
[split] W00t 2
(09-10-2014 11:41 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 11:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  And if you think I said that then lol. Just lol.

I didn't think you said anything. You asked a question, and I answered it.

And ended with a smarmy comment to which I responded.

09-10-2014, 11:49 AM
RE: [split] W00t
(09-10-2014 11:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  You would be describing Taq and Chippy. Are there others?

I'm not gonna name names. Said people know who they are, hell there may well be more than those I know about because the original lot have utterly ruined any prospect of discussing things civilly with theists in A&T so I gave up trying some time ago.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
09-10-2014, 11:55 AM
(09-10-2014 11:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  And ended with a smarmy comment to which I responded.

You said 'imagined'. I took that to mean that you were dismissing my claim as untrue, therefore suggesting that I'm the only one that holds it.

If that is not the case then I apologise.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
09-10-2014, 11:58 AM
(09-10-2014 11:55 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 11:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  And ended with a smarmy comment to which I responded.

You said 'imagined'. I took that to mean that you were dismissing my claim as untrue, therefore suggesting that I'm the only one that holds it.

If that is not the case then I apologise.

Well, I am saying your claim is untrue, but I in no way implied that you were the only one that held it.

There may be some truth to your claim, but it is limited to a very few zealots.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-10-2014, 12:05 PM
(09-10-2014 11:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, I am saying your claim is untrue, but I in no way implied that you were the only one that held it.

Well I made no comment on the number of Crusaders. Tbh though, there doesn't need to be a huge number. It's pretty much reached the point where proper discussion with any theist who isn't like KC (I mean more critical of theists than most of us atheists are) is borderline impossible.

It's a shame really, I enjoy being able to discuss stuff with theists. I see the chance to learn more about the various mindsets and views they hold as a good thing. Unfortunately though a few people seem to think they are doing the forum a favour, or impressing other like minded idiots, by just attacking any theist that joins simply for being a theist. Either that or they like the intellect to know the difference between preaching and explaining your views, or being purposely disingenuous/trolling and honestly believing in something illogical for one reason or another.

Best
Worst
09-10-2014, 12:07 PM
(09-10-2014 12:05 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 11:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, I am saying your claim is untrue, but I in no way implied that you were the only one that held it.

Well I made no comment on the number of Crusaders. Tbh though, there doesn't need to be a huge number. It's pretty much reached the point where proper discussion with any theist who isn't like KC (I mean more critical of theists than most of us atheists are) is borderline impossible.

It's a shame really, I enjoy being able to discuss stuff with theists. I see the chance to learn more about the various mindsets and views they hold as a good thing. Unfortunately though a few people seem to think they are doing the forum a favour, or impressing other like minded idiots, by just attacking any theist that joins simply for being a theist. Either that or they like the intellect to know the difference between preaching and explaining your views, or being purposely disingenuous/trolling and honestly believing in something illogical for one reason or another.

I urge you to call out those posters in the threads where you believe they cross that line.
Doing nothing won't improve things.

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
09-10-2014, 12:10 PM
(09-10-2014 12:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  I urge you to call out those posters in the threads where you believe they cross that line.

Perhaps, but when things are getting heating I've learned in my time here it's that pitching into an already heated argument (especially with my unique brand of directness), can often make things worse not better.

Best
Worst
09-10-2014, 12:14 PM
(09-10-2014 12:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 12:05 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Well I made no comment on the number of Crusaders. Tbh though, there doesn't need to be a huge number. It's pretty much reached the point where proper discussion with any theist who isn't like KC (I mean more critical of theists than most of us atheists are) is borderline impossible.

I urge you to call out those posters in the threads where you believe they cross that line.

He's not doing nothing, Chas.

He's bitching about it here.

... this is my signature!
09-10-2014, 12:16 PM
(09-10-2014 12:05 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  

Do you think there are any theists here whose attempts at genuine discussion are being drowned out by a minority?

Genuine question here, Hughsie.

Do you think we're missing out on the enlightened insight of Q Continuum? Or diddo?

... this is my signature!