Wtf

Is this seriously a thing?

You guys need to get laid. Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
09-10-2014, 01:10 PM
RE: [split] W00t
(09-10-2014 01:05 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  It would be nice to think that perhaps there is a shortage of theists because they are now atheists? Unsure

Big Grin

You are so endearingly optimistic. Heart

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
09-10-2014, 01:10 PM
I honestly can't think of one. We've had some trolls...

I think part of the problem is that there's a lot of crossover in atheist forums. Many people belong to more than one. When a theist comes here, I tend to want to give them the benefit of doubt, but other members might be familiar with them from other sites and immediately ground pound them.

Not that I think it's wrong or anything, occasionally we do get theist like mosch (?) who was very polite, but didn't stay due to the overall atmosphere surrounding theist Poes and other trolls.

Getting hauled into the boxing ring to challenge their views don't always help either.

I don't know.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-10-2014, 01:12 PM
(09-10-2014 01:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 01:05 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  It would be nice to think that perhaps there is a shortage of theists because they are now atheists? Unsure

Big Grin

You are so endearingly optimistic. Heart

Just like you. Yes? Hehe Hug

Be true to yourself. Heart
09-10-2014, 01:26 PM
(09-10-2014 01:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ...
When a theist comes here, I tend to want to give them the benefit of doubt,

Just curious... what's the antipode of "shoo fly"?

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
09-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Not sure if you guys know fr0d0 or Mystic Knight from AF, but they're both theists and very down to earth and easy to have a productive dialogue with, even if they don't agree with atheists. I've never seen arrogance or disparaging remarks by them and most treat them with respect. I was once a theist, so I try to be open to what is being offered. But if the poster is uppity or preachy, I just tune out.

But I don't feel the need to rail back. I remember what it was like to be overwhelmed by theism. Theists feel in large part that it is a "higher calling" that leads them to witness. That may be mainly a Christian thing.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
09-10-2014, 01:45 PM
(09-10-2014 01:42 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Not sure if you guys know fr0d0 or Mystic Knight from AF, but they're both theists and very down to earth and easy to have a productive dialogue with, even if they don't agree with atheists. I've never seen arrogance or disparaging remarks by them and most treat them with respect. I was once a theist, so I try to be open to what is being offered. But if the poster is uppity or preachy, I just tune out.

But I don't feel the need to rail back. I remember what it was like to be overwhelmed by theism. Theists feel in large part that it is a "higher calling" that leads them to witness. That may be mainly a Christian thing.

Those two get their asses handed to them regularly. And Fr0d0 is not always polite.

09-10-2014, 01:45 PM
(09-10-2014 01:26 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 01:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ...
When a theist comes here, I tend to want to give them the benefit of doubt,

Just curious... what's the antipode of "shoo fly"?

Consider

I warmly welcome them to our community. I reply with genuine honesty to their posts or questions.

I said "tend to want to give them the benefit of doubt."

When they bring their crazy out in the first post...yeah.

But if they seem fairly reasonable, I wait and see how it goes. Sometimes the crazy takes a while.

Btw I've also said it to atheists who were assholes.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Ok,
I don't want crap talk in the intro section either. It has it's own rules. That's all there is to it.

The lack of intelligent communications with theists is a whole other subject. I wish that was possible too, and I long stopped taking part in any dialog with theists because it's impossible to do so. At the blink of an eye there are a zillion aggressive posts and the theist can't think straight anymore (whether they could do that in the first place is another story, one that will never be found out at this rate).

But this has nothing to do with talking crap in the intro section. It's not allowed, so cut it out. Dodgy

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-10-2014, 01:47 PM
(09-10-2014 01:45 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 01:26 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Just curious... what's the antipode of "shoo fly"?

Consider

I warmly welcome them to our community. I reply with genuine honesty to their posts or questions.

I said "tend to want to give them the benefit of doubt."

When they bring their crazy out in the first post...yeah.

But if they seem fairly reasonable, I wait and see how it goes. Sometimes the crazy takes a while.

Btw I've also said it to atheists who were assholes.

And I'll testify to that.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post