[split] W00t

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 06:46 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
RE: [split] W00t
(09-10-2014 01:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I honestly can't think of one. We've had some trolls...

I think part of the problem is that there's a lot of crossover in atheist forums. Many people belong to more than one. When a theist comes here, I tend to want to give them the benefit of doubt, but other members might be familiar with them from other sites and immediately ground pound them.

Not that I think it's wrong or anything, occasionally we do get theist like mosch (?) who was very polite, but didn't stay due to the overall atmosphere surrounding theist Poes and other trolls.

Getting hauled into the boxing ring to challenge their views don't always help either.

I don't know.

I usually try to meet them at the level they entered the forum with. If, like hell lover they make their opening thread screaming about we are all going to hell, then refusing to enter a serious debate, then I swing the stick, if like the two muslims we had for two or three days, who come running in trying to sell islam as a religion of peace, i swing the knowledge stick, if they are like Diddo who can't make an intelligent sentence to save his life, while flip flopping on his positions like a new pole dancer, then I use the ignore stick, so it depends on how they approach. I don't go into attack mode unless they do, and I much rather enter an intellectual debate then play swing the spanking stick with the latest drive by troll who has zero desire to enter a debate.

Which is why i do most of my deeper posits at a different site where they are so touchy feely about "civil discourse" you can't even type the letters BS without getting a warning, but at least there I can enter lengthy thoughtful debates. But that is because they have a large population of theists/creationists from a plethora of belief systems to play with there. I do wish we could get some serious people of varying viewpoints to talk to, I enjoy learning, and with every serious thought provoking debate I have had, i learned something.

But this is my sanctuary, I can come here and babble about anything and you guys put up with it Big Grin

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
09-10-2014, 06:19 PM
(09-10-2014 01:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 01:42 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Not sure if you guys know fr0d0 or Mystic Knight from AF, but they're both theists and very down to earth and easy to have a productive dialogue with, even if they don't agree with atheists. I've never seen arrogance or disparaging remarks by them and most treat them with respect. I was once a theist, so I try to be open to what is being offered. But if the poster is uppity or preachy, I just tune out.

But I don't feel the need to rail back. I remember what it was like to be overwhelmed by theism. Theists feel in large part that it is a "higher calling" that leads them to witness. That may be mainly a Christian thing.

Those two get their asses handed to them regularly. And Fr0d0 is not always polite.

Frodo is generally nice to those who are nice to him. He's nice to me.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
09-10-2014, 06:27 PM
(09-10-2014 06:19 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 01:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Those two get their asses handed to them regularly. And Fr0d0 is not always polite.

Frodo is generally nice to those who are nice to him. He's nice to me.

So not so much a Frodo, then...

[Image: alien-versus-gollum.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
09-10-2014, 08:22 PM
(09-10-2014 06:27 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 06:19 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Frodo is generally nice to those who are nice to him. He's nice to me.

So not so much a Frodo, then...

I don't get it. Isn't that the creepy guy who says "my precious" in Star Wars?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 6 users Like Losty's post
09-10-2014, 08:27 PM
(09-10-2014 08:22 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 06:27 PM)DLJ Wrote:  So not so much a Frodo, then...

I don't get it. Isn't that the creepy guy who says "my precious" in Star Wars?

It's as if a million nerds cried out and were suddenly silenced.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 10 users Like Revenant77x's post
09-10-2014, 08:33 PM
(09-10-2014 08:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 08:22 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I don't get it. Isn't that the creepy guy who says "my precious" in Star Wars?

It's as if a million nerds cried out and were suddenly silenced.

[Image: DoOrDoNot.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
09-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Are these pictures part of the aforementioned crusade?

I need a cheat sheet - I am woozy from fever and can't quite keep up.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-10-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm glad this thread turned around. Laugh out load
Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
10-10-2014, 09:59 AM
(09-10-2014 12:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  I urge you to call out those posters in the threads where you believe they cross that line.
Doing nothing won't improve things.
That worked really well back when you called out Chippy for being abusive towards WitchSabrina and others, didn't it? If anything, it only made him more hostile. Dodgy

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
10-10-2014, 10:02 AM
(10-10-2014 09:59 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 12:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  I urge you to call out those posters in the threads where you believe they cross that line.
Doing nothing won't improve things.
That worked really well back when you called out Chippy for being abusive towards WitchSabrina and others, didn't it? If anything, it only made him more hostile. Dodgy

And he should have been banned right about then.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post