[split] When You Fell In Love With Science/Reason/Rationality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2017, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2017 10:11 PM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: [split] When You Fell In Love With Science/Reason/Rationality
(28-10-2017 03:39 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  He's presently in the position of "damned if you do and damned if you don't." But he also brought it on himself, at least to some extent, since he ignored what people wrote to him on multiple occasions. I guess it's hard not to become distracted in these discussions, especially with multiple people answering what you wrote.

I sincerely doubt that 'getting distracted' was their excuse for blocking Mathilda and I for more than sufficiently answering their questions civilly about about emergence at 4 in the morning. I'd chalk that up to getting answers they didn't like. After all, just how 'vulgar' is posting a TedTalk clip from YouTube? Atheist or otherwise, it's not a good look on their part.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
30-10-2017, 12:49 AM
(28-10-2017 05:06 AM)Belaqua Wrote:  Chances are the human race will not survive this century.

A claim made by dumbasses throughout every single century. But no no, for sure this time.Drinking Beverage

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
30-10-2017, 03:30 AM
(30-10-2017 12:49 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(28-10-2017 05:06 AM)Belaqua Wrote:  Chances are the human race will not survive this century.

A claim made by dumbasses throughout every single century. But no no, for sure this time.Drinking Beverage

Some people think that the more pessimistic climate scientists have misinterpreted the data. In the vocabulary of this forum, I guess that makes them dumbasses.

arctic-news.blogspot.co.uk
30-10-2017, 03:34 AM
There is a big difference between civilisation being wiped out and every last member of the human species dying off.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
30-10-2017, 03:38 AM
(30-10-2017 03:34 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  There is a big difference between civilisation being wiped out and every last member of the human species dying off.

Better watch out! You pointing out his clearly hyperbolic language might itself be a tad childish and vulgar! Shocking

I mean surely, when he wrote that he wasn't expecting an Oxford debate over his exact and precise language, correct? Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
30-10-2017, 04:44 AM
(28-10-2017 11:44 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I'm wondering whether either Belaqua has an ego of Trumpian proportions, or whether he might be a sock of Eagle who seems to have disappeared. And I can't thinking that they are both trying to pretend to be scientists / academics so that we accept them, listen to their doubts and think the christianity is more plausible.

It would explain why Belaqua put both EK and myself on ignore. It would mean that he would not have to respond to our posts. It would explain comments like ""When people grow up without religion as a moral guide they may feel challenged to consider moral issues". It would also explain why he finds the idea of consciousness as a property of the brain so abhorrent.

Both Belaqua and Eagle have very strong theistic thought processes and don't understand the scientific method.

I might be wrong though, it's just a suspicion though.

Not Eagle. Eagle just regurgitates evangelical talking points.
30-10-2017, 05:53 AM
(30-10-2017 04:44 AM)julep Wrote:  
(28-10-2017 11:44 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I'm wondering whether either Belaqua has an ego of Trumpian proportions, or whether he might be a sock of Eagle who seems to have disappeared. And I can't thinking that they are both trying to pretend to be scientists / academics so that we accept them, listen to their doubts and think the christianity is more plausible.

It would explain why Belaqua put both EK and myself on ignore. It would mean that he would not have to respond to our posts. It would explain comments like ""When people grow up without religion as a moral guide they may feel challenged to consider moral issues". It would also explain why he finds the idea of consciousness as a property of the brain so abhorrent.

Both Belaqua and Eagle have very strong theistic thought processes and don't understand the scientific method.

I might be wrong though, it's just a suspicion though.

Not Eagle. Eagle just regurgitates evangelical talking points.

Ha. No, I've never used any other name on this forum.

Strange that people are so quick to make up fantasies about people they disagree with.
31-10-2017, 02:38 PM
(26-10-2017 11:35 PM)Belaqua Wrote:  The consensus on this thread (though not necessarily in the rest of the world) is that electrochemical synaptic events just ARE abstract concepts.
Actually that's kind of the reverse of what I see. Sort of like saying "imagination is ghosts", when what is really going on is that "ghosts are imaginary". Abstract concepts are electrochemical synaptic events.

(26-10-2017 11:35 PM)Belaqua Wrote:  
(26-10-2017 07:50 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  What school of consciousness studies do you yourself represent?

Does that sort of thing pay well?

Not unless you actually fill out the job application.
They tend to frown on answering a question with a question, on applications.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
31-10-2017, 02:54 PM
(27-10-2017 06:25 AM)Belaqua Wrote:  
(27-10-2017 05:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, it is the sum, the collection, pattern of electrochemical impulses that emerges as mind.

That's what everybody keeps saying. And when I ask how, they say it's an emerget property. And when I say that's really no more of an explanation than saying it's magic, they get kind of miffed.
Emergent properties are demonstrable; magic is not.

Quote:I've read some different theories of mind, but none has seemed persuasive concerning the function by which electrochemical events are perceived by the experiencing subject as something other than electrochemical events. The answers so far on this thread haven't been helpful.
Perception itself is an electrochemical process.
You seem to regard it as something else.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 4 users Like Dr H's post
02-11-2017, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2017 08:14 PM by JesseB.)
This thread is weird. I'm not in love with rationality, reason, or science. I mean It's not a matter of like or dislike for me. I'm just me, It's not that I "choose" to be non religious or reject magical claims. It's that I am incapable of accepting such absurd nonsense. I can be fooled, I can be lied to, but eventually the cracks in the lie will show and I will naturally and uncontrollably begin to tear at those cracks and eventually expose reality. It's just my nature. There's nothing particularly special about it. It's also in no way beneficial for me from a quality of life perspective, nor from a reproductive perspective, which is why my genes will likely die with me.

After all....

(I also spend a great deal of time in self reflection and am honest with myself, you might not like me, you might not agree with me and you might point out flaws in my character ect, however If you're correct in your assessment You'll find no disagreement with me. I don't claim to be perfect. I only claim to be less absurdly emotional about logical equations. I have plenty of emotions and difficulty properly expressing them, but logic is logic and emotion is emotion, and I generally am not inclined to allow my emotions to make my decisions for me. And I'm aware of when my emotions attempt to lie to me)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post