[split] excubitor vs deconversion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2013, 07:50 PM
RE: Share your de-conversion story
(17-09-2013 06:14 AM)excubitor Wrote:  I agree. This thread has run its course. Endlessly repeated stories of apostasy and degeneration does not make for inspiring reading. There is nothing noble, positive or uplifting in a deconversion story. Such a story is a destructive story that harms the teller and the reader.

I suggest that you read and think on positive, uplifting and inspiring stories of atheists converting to Christianity and regenerating, restoring and rebuilding their lives. I have read hundreds of such stories and could easily read a hundred more, whereas the tales of apostasy and faithfulness found in this thread drag upon the soul.

The only thing a deconversion story is good for is to prop up the guilt-ridden deconverters so that they have some company in their misery and a kind of pathetic reinforcement that their tale of woe has some sliver of merit or justification.

Pitiful.
There's a difference between a thread being derailed and a thread running its course. Each story, though while the same in subject matter, is distinctly different in its own way. My path away from the grip of religion is surely different from everyone else's here, as is Philosoraptor's and anyone else's. Moreover, it's somewhat cathartic. Thus, there is something very positive for the authors of such posts. Additionally, these are people connecting through similar experiences, not unlike the way that Christians might connect after attending the same service. As such, there is a social benefit to be gained from the topic as well. Therefore, as you can see, there is a great deal of positivity to be gained.

I must say, though, that your tone is unkind and unwarranted. Plus, you're really not going to convince anyone to drink your Kool-Aid like that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like SeventhSon's post
17-09-2013, 08:57 PM
(17-09-2013 06:14 AM)excubitor Wrote:  I suggest that you read and think on positive, uplifting and inspiring stories of atheists converting to Christianity and regenerating, restoring and rebuilding their lives. I have read hundreds of such stories and could easily read a hundred more, whereas the tales of apostasand faithfulness found in this thread drag upon the soul.

I see that you haven't taken the time to read through most of the posts here. You come along, smug in your faith, to smear those who would dare to think for themselves. Right or wrong, at least the posters here had the conviction and self respect to open their eyes and honestly examine the one thing that they clung to in spite of the ridiculous lies and bigotry that horrified them.

You have repeatedly admitted that you refuse to personally and honestly examine any evidence, no matter how obvious, that would challenge a belief that you hold.

You hold these beliefs out of fear. I know it, you know it.

At least have the consideration to shut the fuck up when courageous human beings are expressing their humble stories of the realization that they don't hold the key to the universe, but without religion to blind and restrain, they hold the key to understanding a freedom and truth that religion just can't provide.

You are a coward.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
19-09-2013, 07:52 AM
(18-09-2013 08:30 AM)Godless Ute Wrote:  My background is similar to many of your's I'm sure - grew up in a Christian home, back-slid after high school, went back because "that's what I was supposed to do", got burned out a little, then eventually found information that challenged my deeply held beliefs.
My journey started with Penn and Teller's Bullshit show about the Bible. It was humorous, but not very compelling. However, thanks to Youtube's recommendation feature, I started watching The Atheist Experience. That's where my religion and faith started to die. I started seriously investigating what I believed and why. I'm still surprised how quickly the foundations of my faith crumbled.
It says something about a person when crude blasphemers make a bigger impression on them than the stories of the saints in the scriptures. As for apostate Catholics, its hard to fathom how much I loathe them. I think it is because I was brought up as a protestant and then to convert I see Catholicism with fresh eyes. What an incredibly, incredibly beautiful, astonishingly beautiful and wonderful the Christian religion in the Catholic tradition is. Apostate Catholics are like pigs who have taken beautiful pearls and trod them into mud. The only respite in the disgust I have for Apostate Catholics is a tiny glimmer of pity that I feel for them, kind of like the despairing pity Luke Skywalker had for his corrupt father Darth Vader. Which is why I implore apostate Catholics to pray to our holy and blessed mother Mary. I tell you now. Jesus will not bother with you, you are too far gone. But our mother has an what I call incongruously, an unbearable love for us. When you come to know the love of dearest mother Mary your heart breaks, to see someone so pure and to compare yourself with her is utterly shattering. It is this love of Mary which I use to overthrow my disgust of apostate Catholics. I imagine myself as Abel, loving his brother up till the moment that he is slaughtered, an innocent lamb. So I hold out hope for you, waste my prayers on you, make myself a lamb for the slaughter for you because of the love that I know that Mary our dearest mother has for you.

Do not despise this incredible love which even in its glory is a mere reflection of the love that our Lord Jesus has for you. The spurning of such great and deep love is a terrible thing, and if our mother will not beseech for us before the throne of God, then we are utterly without any last hope.

Many here are in this desperate, desperate state. These are the kinds of people that as they descend into the pit of flames and hell spit out with vehement hatred their loathing for Mary. Hard to imagine, but that is truly the ultimate fate of the reprobate mind and soul.
19-09-2013, 08:28 AM
(19-09-2013 07:52 AM)excubitor Wrote:  
(18-09-2013 08:30 AM)Godless Ute Wrote:  My background is similar to many of your's I'm sure - grew up in a Christian home, back-slid after high school, went back because "that's what I was supposed to do", got burned out a little, then eventually found information that challenged my deeply held beliefs.
My journey started with Penn and Teller's Bullshit show about the Bible. It was humorous, but not very compelling. However, thanks to Youtube's recommendation feature, I started watching The Atheist Experience. That's where my religion and faith started to die. I started seriously investigating what I believed and why. I'm still surprised how quickly the foundations of my faith crumbled.
It says something about a person when crude blasphemers make a bigger impression on them than the stories of the saints in the scriptures. As for apostate Catholics, its hard to fathom how much I loathe them. I think it is because I was brought up as a protestant and then to convert I see Catholicism with fresh eyes. What an incredibly, incredibly beautiful, astonishingly beautiful and wonderful the Christian religion in the Catholic tradition is. Apostate Catholics are like pigs who have taken beautiful pearls and trod them into mud. The only respite in the disgust I have for Apostate Catholics is a tiny glimmer of pity that I feel for them, kind of like the despairing pity Luke Skywalker had for his corrupt father Darth Vader. Which is why I implore apostate Catholics to pray to our holy and blessed mother Mary. I tell you now. Jesus will not bother with you, you are too far gone. But our mother has an what I call incongruously, an unbearable love for us. When you come to know the love of dearest mother Mary your heart breaks, to see someone so pure and to compare yourself with her is utterly shattering. It is this love of Mary which I use to overthrow my disgust of apostate Catholics. I imagine myself as Abel, loving his brother up till the moment that he is slaughtered, an innocent lamb. So I hold out hope for you, waste my prayers on you, make myself a lamb for the slaughter for you because of the love that I know that Mary our dearest mother has for you.

Do not despise this incredible love which even in its glory is a mere reflection of the love that our Lord Jesus has for you. The spurning of such great and deep love is a terrible thing, and if our mother will not beseech for us before the throne of God, then we are utterly without any last hope.

Many here are in this desperate, desperate state. These are the kinds of people that as they descend into the pit of flames and hell spit out with vehement hatred their loathing for Mary. Hard to imagine, but that is truly the ultimate fate of the reprobate mind and soul.

Theology like yours is probably what clarified my atheism.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-09-2013, 09:01 AM
(19-09-2013 07:52 AM)excubitor Wrote:  It says something about a person when crude blasphemers make a bigger impression on them than the stories of the saints in the scriptures. As for apostate Catholics, its hard to fathom how much I loathe them. I think it is because I was brought up as a protestant and then to convert I see Catholicism with fresh eyes. What an incredibly, incredibly beautiful, astonishingly beautiful and wonderful the Christian religion in the Catholic tradition is. Apostate Catholics are like pigs who have taken beautiful pearls and trod them into mud. The only respite in the disgust I have for Apostate Catholics is a tiny glimmer of pity that I feel for them, kind of like the despairing pity Luke Skywalker had for his corrupt father Darth Vader. Which is why I implore apostate Catholics to pray to our holy and blessed mother Mary. I tell you now. Jesus will not bother with you, you are too far gone. But our mother has an what I call incongruously, an unbearable love for us. When you come to know the love of dearest mother Mary your heart breaks, to see someone so pure and to compare yourself with her is utterly shattering. It is this love of Mary which I use to overthrow my disgust of apostate Catholics. I imagine myself as Abel, loving his brother up till the moment that he is slaughtered, an innocent lamb. So I hold out hope for you, waste my prayers on you, make myself a lamb for the slaughter for you because of the love that I know that Mary our dearest mother has for you.

Holy cow, what complete bull that is, lol. In my catholic days I worshipped Mary. But that was before I even understood what "immaculate conception" meant. By the time I learned about that, I had already abandoned fairy tales, including the bible.

Why would god need "beseeching" anyways? What's his issue? Is he just that mean that the normal action of his is evil?

And this is a derail of a thread you should not be derailing. People come here to pour their heart out about what happened in their life. Stop posting here. You got all the rest of the board to play in.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
19-09-2013, 09:15 AM
(19-09-2013 09:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(19-09-2013 07:52 AM)excubitor Wrote:  It says something about a person when crude blasphemers make a bigger impression on them than the stories of the saints in the scriptures. As for apostate Catholics, its hard to fathom how much I loathe them. I think it is because I was brought up as a protestant and then to convert I see Catholicism with fresh eyes. What an incredibly, incredibly beautiful, astonishingly beautiful and wonderful the Christian religion in the Catholic tradition is. Apostate Catholics are like pigs who have taken beautiful pearls and trod them into mud. The only respite in the disgust I have for Apostate Catholics is a tiny glimmer of pity that I feel for them, kind of like the despairing pity Luke Skywalker had for his corrupt father Darth Vader. Which is why I implore apostate Catholics to pray to our holy and blessed mother Mary. I tell you now. Jesus will not bother with you, you are too far gone. But our mother has an what I call incongruously, an unbearable love for us. When you come to know the love of dearest mother Mary your heart breaks, to see someone so pure and to compare yourself with her is utterly shattering. It is this love of Mary which I use to overthrow my disgust of apostate Catholics. I imagine myself as Abel, loving his brother up till the moment that he is slaughtered, an innocent lamb. So I hold out hope for you, waste my prayers on you, make myself a lamb for the slaughter for you because of the love that I know that Mary our dearest mother has for you.

Holy cow, what complete bull that is, lol. In my catholic days I worshipped Mary. But that was before I even understood what "immaculate conception" meant. By the time I learned about that, I had already abandoned fairy tales, including the bible.

Why would god need "beseeching" anyways? What's his issue? Is he just that mean that the normal action of his is evil?

And this is a derail of a thread you should not be derailing. People come here to pour their heart out about what happened in their life. Stop posting here. You got all the rest of the board to play in.

Maybe a moderator could split the excrementor excubitor derail off. Cool

19-09-2013, 09:15 AM
(19-09-2013 09:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  

People pour their heart out and then they die and then there is nothing. That is your system. There is no shortage of grief for those who reject the Christian religion and their grief will not stop at death, of that you can be sure.
19-09-2013, 09:17 AM
(19-09-2013 09:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-09-2013 09:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  Holy cow, what complete bull that is, lol. In my catholic days I worshipped Mary. But that was before I even understood what "immaculate conception" meant. By the time I learned about that, I had already abandoned fairy tales, including the bible.

Maybe a moderator could split the excrementor excubitor derail off. Cool
Typical filth showing the state of the inner man.
The thread had run its course and was grown cold and boring anyway before I revived it. It was one long pity party. I could not read it actually. It was too pathetic.
19-09-2013, 09:17 AM
(19-09-2013 09:15 AM)excubitor Wrote:  
(19-09-2013 09:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  Holy cow, what complete bull that is, lol. In my catholic days I worshipped Mary. But that was before I even understood what "immaculate conception" meant. By the time I learned about that, I had already abandoned fairy tales, including the bible.

People pour their heart out and then they die and then there is nothing. That is your system. There is no shortage of grief for those who reject the Christian religion and their grief will not stop at death, of that you can be sure.

Of course grief stops at death; everything does.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-09-2013, 09:19 AM
(19-09-2013 09:17 AM)excubitor Wrote:  
(19-09-2013 09:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  Maybe a moderator could split the excrementor excubitor derail off. Cool
Typical filth showing the state of the inner man.
The thread had run its course and was grown cold and boring anyway before I revived it. It was one long pity party. I could not read it actually. It was too pathetic.

Your opinion of the state of this thread is not an excuse to shit all over it.

It is, though, an excellent argument for you being banned from this forum.
If it were in my power, I would do so.