• 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2014, 04:18 PM
RE: [split] maklelan and others discuss evidence

My Blog
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2014, 04:21 PM
(04-01-2014 04:16 PM)maklelan Wrote:  Credentials in cognitive linguistics, psycholinguistics, or semantics? That certainly doesn't follow from the way you've presented your argument.

Since the one-upsmanship game is surely yours I'm not sure this ^^^ would really matter, now would it?

Sad

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
04-01-2014, 05:18 PM
(04-01-2014 04:16 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 01:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  The reader assigns a meaning from a constrained set of possibilities based on the source and context of the text.

And the constraints (more like suggestions) exist apart from the text entirely.

(04-01-2014 01:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  Oooh, academic bullying. Impressive. Thumbsup

Right, you've never gotten tired of a hobbyist trying to dogmatically argue against something in which you've invested years of formal and professional experience.

(04-01-2014 01:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  I also have credentials and experience, so your bullying falls flat.

Credentials in cognitive linguistics, psycholinguistics, or semantics? That certainly doesn't follow from the way you've presented your argument.

(04-01-2014 01:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is no dogma that I am propounding, I am analyzing the issue.

But you've flatly ignored all my analysis and have just objected to everything I've said, despite empirical evidence and a whole host of research to back it up.

(04-01-2014 01:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, all texts are read that way. The reader does not create all of the meaning.

Another "Nu-uh."

No my credentials are in mathematics, philosophy, and computer science. We do not use the same terminology. I will accept that I do not have the requisite knowledge of your field to have a useful discussion on this.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2014, 05:28 PM
(04-01-2014 05:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  No my credentials are in mathematics, philosophy, and computer science. We do not use the same terminology.

We do not, that is true.

(04-01-2014 05:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  I will accept that I do not have the requisite knowledge of your field to have a useful discussion on this.

I appreciate that. I will admit that I have not done the best job of explaining my position, and I apologize for being defensive about it.

My Blog
[+] 1 user Likes maklelan's post
04-01-2014, 05:39 PM
(04-01-2014 05:28 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 05:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  No my credentials are in mathematics, philosophy, and computer science. We do not use the same terminology.

We do not, that is true.

(04-01-2014 05:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  I will accept that I do not have the requisite knowledge of your field to have a useful discussion on this.

I appreciate that. I will admit that I have not done the best job of explaining my position, and I apologize for being defensive about it.

No apology needed, I was aggressive. Smile

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2014, 05:40 PM
(04-01-2014 05:28 PM)maklelan Wrote:  

We do not, that is true.

(04-01-2014 05:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 05:28 PM)maklelan Wrote:  We do not, that is true.

No apology needed, I was aggressive. Smile

[Image: tumblr_lmputme3co1qa6q7k_large.png]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
04-01-2014, 07:04 PM
(02-01-2014 07:00 AM)maklelan Wrote:  I'd also suggest you find blog posts by authors that have some exposure to research into the psychology and evolution of religion (insofar as they're going to be pontificating on those things, anyway). Rather naive conventional wisdom about the development of the notion of the divine isn't all that impressive.
I think that the psychology and evolution of religion would've been the most interesting topic. But it seems it went in a different direction.

Few questions if I may.

Does religion satisfy some human psychological needs? If so, which ones?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
04-01-2014, 07:53 PM
(04-01-2014 07:04 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I think that the psychology and evolution of religion would've been the most interesting topic. But it seems it went in a different direction.

Few questions if I may.

It's not that it satisfies a need so much as that our brains are hardwired to conceptualize the universe in ways conducive to religious worldviews, like, for instance, our primeval cognitive predisposition to assume agency and intentionality in unnatural and unknown events and phenomena. Some good treatments are here, here, here, and here.

My Blog
04-01-2014, 08:25 PM
(04-01-2014 07:53 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 07:04 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I think that the psychology and evolution of religion would've been the most interesting topic. But it seems it went in a different direction.

Few questions if I may.

It's not that it satisfies a need so much as that our brains are hardwired to conceptualize the universe in ways conducive to religious worldviews, like, for instance, our primeval cognitive predisposition to assume agency and intentionality in unnatural and unknown events and phenomena. Some good treatments are here, here, here, and here.
Ok. Would you agree that our cognitive predisposition to assume agency plays a significant role in the conception and evolution of religion.

Let me refraze that.

Without mentioned predispositions , how likely is that we wouldn't have religion?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
04-01-2014, 08:31 PM
(04-01-2014 08:25 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Ok. Would you agree that our cognitive predisposition to assume agency plays a significant role in the conception and evolution of religion.

Let me refraze that.

Without mentioned predispositions , how likely is that we wouldn't have religion?

Well, those predispositions evolved from our experience in our environment, so what would be different about our environment?

My Blog