[split] maklelan and others discuss evidence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2014, 09:43 AM
RE: [split] maklelan and others discuss evidence
(05-01-2014 08:56 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 08:48 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA: "....not intelligent enough to understand"......Magic Underwear. Laughat

Magic. Underwear.

ROFL

Yes, I see that's how you mischaracterize them, and that's part of the reason I've concluded you're not intelligent enough to understand how I really conceptualize of garments.

Courtier's Reply. You are rationalizing your magic underwear. And yet you try to call ME stupid.

Quote: That and the fact that you, as near as I can tell, don't ever take responsibility for your errors and misunderstandings, leave me with no confidence in your integrity or intelligence.

You go ahead and rationalize your chickenshit retreat any way you want to.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2014, 09:50 AM
(05-01-2014 09:35 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 09:20 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  Ok,i have a few questions that comes from my ignorance towards mormonism. Is it mandatory to wear "magic underwear" or is it just a personal choice?

I'd appreciate it if they were just called garments,

Magic. Underwear.

Quote:and when an adult Latter-day Saint goes through the temple for the first time they make a promise to wear garments when reasonable as a symbol of the promises they make during the temple ceremony.

Yes because that just makes so much sense to wear magic underwear.

Quote: Insofar as they serve as a reminder of those promises, and consequently help the wearer to keep those promises,

Because they are magic and all.

Quote:they are thought to facilitate the blessings of those promises.

Magic. Underwear.

Quote: In other words, they're not magic, they're just reminders, like a WWJD bracelet.

But instead magic underwear that say "What would Brigham Young Do?".

Tongue

Quote:Some Latter-day Saints

I love how you think of yourselves as "saints". It's ridiculous.

Quote: have arrogated supernatural properties to them,

Like I said. Magic. Underwear.

Quote:which is what leads to the misunderstanding, but those people are moving well beyond the understanding promulgated by the Church itself.

....that they are "just a little" magic. Check. Rolleyes

05-01-2014, 09:55 AM
(05-01-2014 09:35 AM)maklelan Wrote:  I'm not that interested in Mormonism as a topic of discussion here.

Yes because being a magic-underwear-wearer destroys any credibility you might have hoped to establish.

Quote: I'm here mainly to share information about religion more generally, and the Bible more specifically.

And what part of this being an atheist forum don't you understand? We don't gather here to be proselytized at, or to "seek information" about religion or the BuyBull.

Quote: I don't like to see either topic maligned and mischaracterized in places like this.

It's not being mischaracterized at all, and as far as being maligned, tough shit.

05-01-2014, 10:02 AM
(05-01-2014 08:09 AM)maklelan Wrote:  And this is where reflective and intuitive beliefs come in.

Yes, I guess they do.

Quote:If it's not a sound your brain has already gotten used to and logged away for future reference, you do. It's an evolutionary trait from which no one is free.
Yes, but evolutionary traits are subject to change.

Quote:But it can be an unknown one, and that combines with other cognitive predispositions to create conceptualizations of abstractions and unknown entities in ways that can be called divine. For instance, all people who speak and think about science will at some point, and usually with regularity, conceive of science as an actor in a narrative with anthropomorphic features and agency. Not all, but the vast majority of people who speak and think about science will also think of it as all-knowing or potentially all knowing, and many will even think of it as potentially all-powerful. This is deifying science, and it's a result of cognition, not ignorance. It's doing the exact same thing to science that early humans did to whatever was making it rain (which was cognition + ignorance). These biases are a complex constellation of cognitive processes that our brain uses to make understanding the world more efficient and simple.

Ok, true. Except I am not sure that I would call them biases, but I can see that one can argue that I don't see them as biases exactly because I am biased.
Kind of a dead end.

Quote:Why is it sad?
Just a personal opinion, I think that religions are holding back the humanity.

Quote:No, the cognitive predisposition is not fundamentally to supernatural entities, but to those that are unknown or non-natural (that is, abstract). The attribution of deity is another cognitive step away.

I guess I'm arguing that with less of what we ,on a personal level, perceive as unknown or non-natural, and with the shift from intuitive to more reflective , next cognitive step will be away from attributing deities.
I believe that is the reason I am an atheist.

Quote:I think that's definitely a big contributing factor, but certainly not the only or most significant one.
What is in your opinion the most significant factor?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
05-01-2014, 10:02 AM
(05-01-2014 09:55 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Yes because being a magic-underwear-wearer destroys any credibility you might have hoped to establish.

No, it's just because I don't find it particularly interesting, and most people aren't willing to give up their prejudices and misunderstanding anyway.

(05-01-2014 09:55 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  And what part of this being an atheist forum don't you understand?

I suppose I misunderstand why anyone would call themselves a "thinking atheist" when they can't distinguish knowledge about religion from religious dogmas.

(05-01-2014 09:55 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  We don't gather here to be proselytized at,

I'm not proselytizing, as I've said many times, I'm sharing knowledge about religion, just as you and yours claim to do here. The difference is that I know much more about it than you.

(05-01-2014 09:55 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  or to "seek information" about religion or the BuyBull.

Again, you confuse knowledge about the Bible with believing or accepting the Bible's faith claims.

(05-01-2014 09:55 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  It's not being mischaracterized at all, and as far as being maligned, tough shit.

Yes, it is mischaracterization, and if all you really care about is maligning religion without even knowing if you're doing it accurately or intelligently, you're a bigger idiot than I thought. Why don't you bark some more at me and show me and everyone else here just how little you understand what I'm talking about? Your participation here appears to be more about emotional masturbation than knowledge or information, so go ahead and squeeze another one off for yourself. Maybe it'll help you calm yourself down a bit.

My Blog
05-01-2014, 10:10 AM
(05-01-2014 09:50 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Magic. Underwear.

No, garments. If you insist on rhetoric over substance, then you're just being a tool for the sake of being a tool. It's certainly not intellectual intimidating. You clearly don't know shit about me or my beliefs, and are hiding behind this belligerent rhetoric so you don't have to confront your ignorance. The more you do it the more I and everyone else here knows you're just an emotional adolescent looking to feel good about themselves.

(05-01-2014 09:50 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Yes because that just makes so much sense to wear magic underwear.

Maybe not to you, but it doesn't make much sense to me to just ejaculate rhetorical nonsense at people on the internet so you can feel like a bigger person. I still acknowledge that it's a part of what makes you get out of bed in the morning.

(05-01-2014 09:50 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Because they are magic and all.

No, actually that explanation shows that they're not magic at all.

No, you obviously don't understand.

(05-01-2014 09:50 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  But instead magic underwear that say "What would Brigham Young Do?".

No, still not accurate.

(05-01-2014 09:50 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I love how you think of yourselves as "saints". It's ridiculous.

Evidently you don't know the semantic range of the word "saint." Not surprising, but more ridiculous.

(05-01-2014 09:50 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Like I said. Magic. Underwear.

Yes, in the mischaracterization of a minority of Latter-day Saints. For you to take up that mischaracterization and then mindlessly attribute it to every Latter-day Saint shows you're either incredibly unintelligent or just more concerned with rhetoric than with facts and information. Either way, it's a terrible way to represent atheism.

(05-01-2014 09:50 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  ....that they are "just a little" magic. Check. Rolleyes

No, that's not what it means at all. I asked you how old you were earlier, but you didn't answer. How old are you? I know it sound rhetorical, but I'm sincerely wondering if you really are a teenager. It's sounding more and more like you are.

My Blog
05-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Who let the fucking bird in here? Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2014, 10:28 AM
(05-01-2014 10:10 AM)maklelan Wrote:  

No, garments. If you insist on rhetoric over substance, then you're just being a tool for the sake of being a tool. It's certainly not intellectual intimidating. You clearly don't know shit about me or my beliefs, and are hiding behind this belligerent rhetoric so you don't have to confront your ignorance. The more you do it the more I and everyone else here knows you're just an emotional adolescent looking to feel good about themselves.

(05-01-2014 09:50 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Yes because that just makes so much sense to wear magic underwear.

Maybe not to you, but it doesn't make much sense to me to just ejaculate rhetorical nonsense at people on the internet so you can feel like a bigger person. I still acknowledge that it's a part of what makes you get out of bed in the morning.

(05-01-2014 09:50 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Because they are magic and all.

(05-01-2014 09:50 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  But instead magic underwear that say "What would Brigham Young Do?".

No, still not accurate.

(05-01-2014 09:50 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I love how you think of yourselves as "saints". It's ridiculous.

Evidently you don't know the semantic range of the word "saint." Not surprising, but more ridiculous.

Yes, in the mischaracterization of a minority of Latter-day Saints. For you to take up that mischaracterization and then mindlessly attribute it to every Latter-day Saint shows you're either incredibly unintelligent or just more concerned with rhetoric than with facts and information. Either way, it's a terrible way to represent atheism.

(05-01-2014 09:50 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  ....that they are "just a little" magic. Check. Rolleyes

No, that's not what it means at all. I asked you how old you were earlier, but you didn't answer. How old are you? I know it sound rhetorical, but I'm sincerely wondering if you really are a teenager. It's sounding more and more like you are.

Mak I would advise you to just ignore Taq. He is never going to go anywhere other than taunts and name calling. As to the temple garments I never got why people get so hung up on them I mean Kolob is way sillier, I guess it is just the immature response to saying underwear.

As to your earlier points about the Atheist Utopia with no religion I think that is mostly hyperbole to stir up the crowd. I would be fine with a european style of religion. Religious Apathy as it were.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
05-01-2014, 10:31 AM
(05-01-2014 10:02 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 09:55 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Yes because being a magic-underwear-wearer destroys any credibility you might have hoped to establish.

No, it's just because I don't find it particularly interesting, and most people aren't willing to give up their prejudices and misunderstanding anyway.

I suppose you wouldn't find having to defend your batshit-crazy dogma particularly interesting.

Quote:
(05-01-2014 09:55 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  And what part of this being an atheist forum don't you understand?

I suppose I misunderstand why anyone would call themselves a "thinking atheist" when they can't distinguish knowledge about religion from religious dogmas.

Yeah, too bad for you that I can.

Quote:
(05-01-2014 09:55 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  We don't gather here to be proselytized at,

I'm not proselytizing, as I've said many times, I'm sharing knowledge about religion, just as you and yours claim to do here. The difference is that I know much more about it than you.

When did I or other atheists claim to be here to "share knowledge about religion"? Strawman much?

You may think you know more about religion than I or others here.

Quote:
(05-01-2014 09:55 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  or to "seek information" about religion or the BuyBull.

Again, you confuse knowledge about the Bible with believing or accepting the Bible's faith claims.

I did nothing of the kind. Put away the strawman.

Quote:
(05-01-2014 09:55 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  It's not being mischaracterized at all, and as far as being maligned, tough shit.

Yes, it is mischaracterization, and if all you really care about is maligning religion...

Too bad for you, that's not "all I really care about", by a long shot. Nice try, though.

Quote:without even knowing if you're doing it accurately or intelligently, you're a bigger idiot than I thought. Why don't you bark some more at me and show me and everyone else here just how little you understand what I'm talking about?

I understand perfectly well what you are talking about. You are just too fucking stupid to get that I'm calling you on it.

Quote: Your participation here appears to be more about emotional masturbation than knowledge or information, so go ahead and squeeze another one off for yourself. Maybe it'll help you calm yourself down a bit.

Gee, that Magic Underwear business really gets under your skin, doesn't it.

05-01-2014, 10:37 AM
(05-01-2014 10:10 AM)maklelan Wrote:  

No, garments.

Magic. Underwear. Laughat

Quote:If you insist on rhetoric over substance,

I have made no such insistence. I am merely calling you on your rationalizing euphemism.

Quote: then you're just being a tool for the sake of being a tool. It's certainly not intellectual intimidating. You clearly don't know shit about me or my beliefs, and are hiding behind this belligerent rhetoric so you don't have to confront your ignorance. The more you do it the more I and everyone else here knows you're just an emotional adolescent looking to feel good about themselves.

Oh, look, wishful thinking. That Magic Underwear bit really chaps your ass, doesn't it.

Quote:

Too bad for you that that's not what I'm doing. You are just whining and squirming because I called you on your Magic Underwear.

Quote:

No, still not accurate.

Still whining about being called on your Magic Underwear? Wow.

Quote:

I'm old enough to not believe in Santa Claus or the Magic Powers of Underwear.