[split] maklelan and others discuss evidence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2014, 10:30 AM
RE: [split] maklelan and others discuss evidence
(06-01-2014 10:26 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 10:19 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  If religions are so opposed to use of alcohol , priests shouldn't be making it, right?

Did I identify that particular religion as one that opposes alcohol? I would like a serious answer to my question, by the way. A simple yes or no will do.

Now that's just arguing for argue's sake.
That's just being a hair-splitting ass.

stop it

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
06-01-2014, 10:32 AM
(06-01-2014 10:25 AM)maklelan Wrote:  ...
Yes, there are far too many tragedies committed every year in the name of religion, and that's a big problem that I am constantly fighting against.

I'm kinda getting bored with this thread (maybe because I wasn't involved before it schism-ed) but perhaps in another thread, I'd like to know more detail about the above.

I'd be happy to join you in that fight.

06-01-2014, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 10:38 AM by Slowminded.)
(06-01-2014 10:26 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 10:19 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  If religions are so opposed to use of alcohol , priests shouldn't be making it, right?

Did I identify that particular religion as one that opposes alcohol? I would like a serious answer to my question, by the way. A simple yes or no will do.

Well you did say " primarily Muslims" but that hardly counts as identifying a particular one.

So my answer would be :No

But seriously, blaming atheism for alcoholism is just ridiculous.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
06-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Had to take another look into this thread and WOW - finally getting somewhere. Saw this coming a while ago before giving into frustration and getting railed on for attempting to expose this "theologin thiest".

The double standards and arrogance are endless: presumptions about athiesm/athiests, generalizations, to dance around truths... All what this forum as whole has been repeadedly accused of doing regularly.

For me, if you align with the LDS church and make a splash into this website, then deal with the simple challenges instead of hiding behind a long winded defense tactic. Maybe in 30 more pages we will see some honest answers to honest questions.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 2 users Like Timber1025's post
06-01-2014, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 11:48 AM by IndianAtheist.)
(02-01-2014 07:02 PM)maklelan Wrote:  Any god worshipped by a society that is not scientifically literate, or any conceptualization of any god held by any individual that rejects, marginalizes, or ignores such questions. The "god of the gaps" is a theological perspective, and it's a perspective that is only held by a remarkably small portion of the global religious community.
Not true.. almost every religious argument starts with "Science can't explain this therefore my personal ABC God exists" and that's NOT a "Small portion" of a religious community,in fact i'd even say that majority of the theists are just are blind to facts which disproves their beliefs.

i'd also like to see which "Any God" is actually worth pondering over,so far i've failed to see that "any God" conjured up by critical thinkers as most of the major religions demand faith.

and also organized RELIGION IS A CULT you can play word games all you want but in the end the dogma laid out by religions is specifically meant to control your way of thinking and you life that to me is a CULT mentality.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
[+] 1 user Likes IndianAtheist's post
06-01-2014, 11:06 AM
(06-01-2014 10:59 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  i'd also like to see which "Any God" is actually worth pondering over...

[Image: 1559418_631512690245895_1819460608_o.jpg]

(...well, that was an invitation. Blush )

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
06-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Gywnnies >>> LDS Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
06-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Mak, who the hell do you think you are to tell me I can't drink alcohol? I drink in moderation, and my drinking does me nor anyone else any harm.

I know you're gonna say "well good for you, but...."

Get over yourself; I know all the arguments and the reality is that if you can't handle alcohol, you shouldn't drink it. That's it.

You may need nannying, but I'm an adult thank you very much.
[+] 3 users Like joben1's post
06-01-2014, 11:40 AM
(06-01-2014 10:33 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Well you did say " primarily Muslims" but that hardly counts as identifying a particular one.

Yes, the largest portion of the world's population that does not consume alcohol is Muslim.

(06-01-2014 10:33 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  So my answer would be :No

Thanks.

(06-01-2014 10:33 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  But seriously, blaming atheism for alcoholism is just ridiculous.

I'm not blaming atheism for alcoholism, I'm concerned that priorities are misplaced and people aren't being entirely honest when they express deep moral concern and outrage for the putative dangers of religion and then no concern at all for a demonstrably more dangerous phenomenon, or even defend the value and necessity of that phenomenon.

My Blog
06-01-2014, 11:43 AM
(06-01-2014 11:38 AM)joben1 Wrote:  Mak, who the hell do you think you are to tell me I can't drink alcohol? I drink in moderation, and my drinking does me nor anyone else any harm.

Plenty of people who drink in moderation have still unintentionally caused death and suffering. On the other hand, who the hell are you to tell me that my practice of my religion is bad when it neither does me nor anyone else any harm?

(06-01-2014 11:38 AM)joben1 Wrote:  I know you're gonna say "well good for you, but...."

No, you don't know anything about me.

(06-01-2014 11:38 AM)joben1 Wrote:  Get over yourself; I know all the arguments and the reality is that if you can't handle alcohol, you shouldn't drink it. That's it.

Then there are 2.5 millions deaths a year that are preventable. All it takes is people stopping those people from drinking. Is that a campaign you're going to undertake, or are you just going to ignore it?

(06-01-2014 11:38 AM)joben1 Wrote:  You may need nannying, but I'm an adult thank you very much.

Now I'll say good for you.

My Blog