[split] maklelan and others discuss evidence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2014, 12:46 PM
RE: [split] maklelan and others discuss evidence
(06-01-2014 12:43 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 12:19 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Says the non-scientist. Angel
Your not a thesbien but you can appreciate Gwenith and her profession can you not?

*you're *thespian *Gwyneth

Non-scientist. Tongue

I was trolling you, but, as an ameteur scientist, it is very easy, seductive, to believe my own hypothesis.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 12:47 PM
(06-01-2014 12:03 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Name one.

Had I the inclination, I could pull up thousands of records of vehicular homicide resulting from people driving just over the legal limit, which can be as little as one drink if your weight, sex, and tolerance is right. Tell me, at what specific BAC does one move from drinking "in moderation" to "excessively"?

(06-01-2014 12:03 PM)joben1 Wrote:  And when did I tell you that?

It's the specific attitude against which I'm leveling the alcohol example. If that's not your position, then my argument is not with you.

(06-01-2014 12:03 PM)joben1 Wrote:  But I know all the arguments.

No, you don't.

(06-01-2014 12:03 PM)joben1 Wrote:  I'm well aware of this and do take steps to prevent it when I see it, do you?

Absolutely, but rather than just be reactive about one of the biggest and most direct threats to human health and safety, I make a point of trying to be proactive about making the world a better place. As long as someone here is bitching about how religion needs to go away because it's dangerous, they need to bitch even more about alcohol or admit that they're being disingenuous.

(06-01-2014 12:03 PM)joben1 Wrote:  And that's one of them by the way. It seems I DO know you.

That's one of what? And no, you don't know me at all, irrespective of what you may think you know about how these arguments go.

(06-01-2014 12:03 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Yes it is thanks.

Thumbsup

My Blog
Find all posts by this user
06-01-2014, 12:48 PM
(06-01-2014 12:41 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 11:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  Who says we're not worried about alcohol ? We don't have idiots saying 'you *must* drink', 'you are evil if you don't drink' running around. We don't have ancient books written by twits with frothing-at-the-mouth condemnations of people who don't drink contained therein, which are read and believed by a large majority of the population. We don't have powerful lobbies of people trying to spread misinformation about alcohol, or at least not on the scale of for example, the Creationist movement. Therefore we don't feel the same need to address the arguments of the alcohol pushers.

You'll just let 2.5 million people continue to die every year (in addition to the many millions more hospitalized, abused, and otherwise suffering as a direct result) because at least they're not being dicks about pushing it? Seriously? That's your argument?

No, just that people should take responsibility for their own actions. You can't legislate for stupidity. Education is the answer.
[+] 1 user Likes joben1's post
06-01-2014, 12:49 PM
(06-01-2014 12:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Typical theist stance "I am not deluded about anything it's you lot that's deluded" and now we have one hell of a red herring.

I never said you or anyone else is deluded, I've only said many of you are not thinking very hard about things and are not always being honest, primarily because of prejudices and presuppositions.

My Blog
06-01-2014, 12:51 PM
(06-01-2014 12:48 PM)joben1 Wrote:  No, just that people should take responsibility for their own actions.

They should. We should also try to stop being from killing each other rather than just wag our finger at them and be content when they take responsibility for it.

(06-01-2014 12:48 PM)joben1 Wrote:  You can't legislate for stupidity.

You can legislate to mitigate it.

(06-01-2014 12:48 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Education is the answer.

Education is one of the answers. You advocate for some form of gun control, don't you?

My Blog
[+] 1 user Likes maklelan's post
06-01-2014, 12:52 PM
(06-01-2014 06:57 AM)maklelan Wrote:  The surgeon came by a couple weeks after his release to talk to him and told me that he shouldn't be alive, and definitely shouldn't be in such good condition. He called it an inexplicable miracle (in Spanish).

That doesn't speak well for the surgeon's experience.

Quote:Now, whatever you believe about what happened to this friend of mine, other friends who were there and witnessed it have long since decided to understand it as miraculous. Many people might insist there has to be some natural explanation, but at that point the explanations are really just a matter of preference.

No, they are not a matter of preference. The human body has amazing capabilities to heal. What you are describing happens far more often than you are alluding.

Quote:If one of my friends were to come here and say that they would never use that story to convince anyone else of the reality of their beliefs, but that it is a close personal witness to them that their worldview works, on what grounds do you tell them they are not allowed to think that?

They and you are free to believe whatever they want, but that doesn't make it true and them and you any less credulous idiots succumbing to willful self-delusion-driven confirmation bias.

Quote:So no one should ever say they're in love, since that's not really testable in any truly objective way. They certainly shouldn't be allowed to say they experienced love at first sight. Pain is another thing that people need to stop talking about, since it's entirely subjective.

[Image: strawman1.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
(06-01-2014 12:47 PM)maklelan Wrote:   I make a point of trying to be proactive about making the world a better place.

I don't think you can do that while ignoring religion AND being religious at the same time.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
(06-01-2014 12:42 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Someone tell me again why we're not allowed to point out the absurdity of the history of religion and how that does not apply to Mak here? And explain to me why Mak gets to cherry pick that OUT of his association with religion and run his agenda against Atheism were alcohol is concerned?? Because we Finally DID get down to his agenda here but not before we all had to tip-toe around his sensitivity of persecution where he feels we misrepresent religion as a whole.......

so....... someone catch me up. Mak refuses to answer such questions.

What I don't understand is Mak's involvement in the "Ask A Theist" debate, given his initial reluctance. But now that he's here, I think we should "fatten up the turkey" first before "we slaughter it."

Which is to say, if he wants to defend these perspectives, I'm all ears. I'm totally with Chas when he enquires "how does an intelligent and educated individual still hold to these delusions" (and I probably paraphrase) while warning Mak "you would be absurd to assume we are not going to hold these revelations against you (Mormons) in the future." Gotta love ambivalence, makes life interesting. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
06-01-2014, 12:53 PM
(06-01-2014 12:49 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 12:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Typical theist stance "I am not deluded about anything it's you lot that's deluded" and now we have one hell of a red herring.

I never said you or anyone else is deluded, I've only said many of you are not thinking very hard about things and are not always being honest, primarily because of prejudices and presuppositions.

i·ro·ny1
ˈīrənē,ˈiərnē/
noun
the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
"“Don't go overboard with the gratitude,” he rejoined with heavy irony"
synonyms: sarcasm, causticity, cynicism, mockery, satire, sardonicism More

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
06-01-2014, 12:55 PM
(06-01-2014 12:52 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 12:42 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Someone tell me again why we're not allowed to point out the absurdity of the history of religion and how that does not apply to Mak here? And explain to me why Mak gets to cherry pick that OUT of his association with religion and run his agenda against Atheism were alcohol is concerned?? Because we Finally DID get down to his agenda here but not before we all had to tip-toe around his sensitivity of persecution where he feels we misrepresent religion as a whole.......

so....... someone catch me up. Mak refuses to answer such questions.

What I don't understand is Mak's involvement in the "Ask A Theist" debate, given his initial reluctance. But now that he's here, I think we should "fatten up the turkey" first before "we slaughter it."

Which is to say, if he wants to defend these perspectives, I'm all ears. I'm totally with Chas when he enquires "how does an intelligent and educated individual still hold to these delusions" (and I probably paraphrase) while warning Mak "you would be absurd to assume we are not going to hold these revelations against you (Mormons) in the future." Gotta love ambivalence, makes life interesting. Angel

Thanks babe. I'll just wait.............

Bowing

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post