[split] maklelan and others discuss evidence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2014, 05:53 PM
RE: [split] maklelan and others discuss evidence
(06-01-2014 05:49 PM)maklelan Wrote:  That's a dumb invitation. I could rattle off a hundred different questions and challenges that you couldn't satisfy in a million years.

Wow - really? How do you know Joben so well? I certainly don't - yet. Big assumption that someone here cannot answer your questions. Unless, of course, your looking for supernatural fairy tales to be as satisfaction for you. Then - yeah - maybe you're right.

Still - kind of an asshole move to assume that of a member here.
Joben - I find your posts awesome, myself.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like WitchSabrina's post
06-01-2014, 05:54 PM
(06-01-2014 05:46 PM)joben1 Wrote:  I don't know of any scientific study done in this area, but I find it hard to believe that anyone can say how many people in the world are against alcohol.

Yeah, no one is going to have precise numbers. Obviously, however, there are many more people online and in the media against religion than against alcohol, despite the fact that it is far deadlier and far more costly.

(06-01-2014 05:46 PM)joben1 Wrote:  One of my closest friends is a muslim and he drinks just as much as anyone else I know who likes a drink, and more than most. He has thrown house parties which I have attended where his muslim friends have been seen to enjoy copious amounts of alcohol. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that a fair number of muslims who profess abstinence from alcohol are not telling the truth and do so for obvious reasons.

I'm certain that's the case. As secularism and wealth increase (and other factors contribute), so too does alcohol consumption.

(06-01-2014 05:46 PM)joben1 Wrote:  It appears that alcohol consumption is rising faster in muslim areas of the world than it is in many other areas, and non muslim inhabitants of those areas don't appear to account for this rise.

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Muslim_Statist..._and_Drugs

My Blog
06-01-2014, 05:55 PM
(06-01-2014 05:53 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 05:49 PM)maklelan Wrote:  That's a dumb invitation. I could rattle off a hundred different questions and challenges that you couldn't satisfy in a million years.

Wow - really? How do you know Joben so well? I certainly don't - yet. Big assumption that someone here cannot answer your questions. Unless, of course, your looking for supernatural fairy tales to be as satisfaction for you. Then - yeah - maybe you're right.

This is the problem with deluded people when all is said and done they insist that everyone else has a problem. This entire derail is to escape from issues Mak cannot and will not address. There is no merit to this discussion it is at best a non sequitor and more likely a red herring to get us away from questions he knows he can't answer.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
06-01-2014, 05:57 PM
(06-01-2014 05:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 05:53 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Wow - really? How do you know Joben so well? I certainly don't - yet. Big assumption that someone here cannot answer your questions. Unless, of course, your looking for supernatural fairy tales to be as satisfaction for you. Then - yeah - maybe you're right.

This is the problem with deluded people when all is said and done they insist that everyone else has a problem. This entire derail is to escape from issues Mak cannot and will not address. There is no merit to this discussion it is at best a non sequitor and more likely a red herring to get us away from questions he knows he can't answer.

Thank you Heart

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
06-01-2014, 06:03 PM
(06-01-2014 05:53 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  

Why thank you Smile. I have never had a witch find me awesome before Wink

However, I don't think he was addressing me or, if he was, I didn't see it.
[+] 1 user Likes joben1's post
06-01-2014, 06:03 PM
(06-01-2014 05:49 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Like I said, I have NEVER come across an atheist that is working at ALL to rid the world of religion.

Now you've come across a few. I'm surprised you were unaware that Dawkins advocates for getting rid of religion.

(06-01-2014 05:49 PM)joben1 Wrote:  One link appears to be about ridding Soviet Russia of religion.

Yes. Tens of thousands of people were killed by the League of Militant Atheists. The Khmer Rouge also outlawed religion and a number of other freedoms, killing millions of people in the process. Mao Zedong killed over 40 million people, and he had the expressed purpose of trying to make religion "perish."

(06-01-2014 05:49 PM)joben1 Wrote:  The others I wouldn't categorise as "working hard" to rid the world of religion.

But would they? Claiming to make a movie with the purpose of "destroying" religion sounds like plenty of work.

My Blog
06-01-2014, 06:08 PM
(06-01-2014 05:49 PM)maklelan Wrote:  Me too. Lots of people die because of drinking, just no their own drinking.
As far as i know alcohol only affects the health of the person who drinks it.
Quote:alcohol being responsible for 2.5 million annual deaths globally
I don't think alcohol is the sole reason for these "2.5 million annual deaths" instead its just merely one of the factors which leads to domestic violence,you can't say that alcohol alone is the sole reason why domestic violence exists.
Quote:There's plenty you don't know
Says who ? some smug internet guy? Drinking Beverage
Quote:Please don't waste my time with your silly little posturing.
Funny i was about to say the same.
Quote:Then go back and read the beginning of this topic.
Nah i'm not in the mood chav,i have more important stuff to do then to search for stupid posts inferring that atheism has anything to do with drinking alcohol..lol

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
[+] 1 user Likes IndianAtheist's post
06-01-2014, 06:11 PM
(06-01-2014 05:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  This is the problem with deluded people when all is said and done they insist that everyone else has a problem.

We all have problems. I'm not free from problems by any stretch of the imagination, and I've apologized multiple times on this website for some of those problems. You and I both know I'm not deluded, though, and I don't appreciate the insult.

(06-01-2014 05:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  This entire derail is to escape from issues Mak cannot and will not address.

No, this entire derail was because I made a simple point and a bunch of people didn't want to acknowledge it, so they tried to challenge me. The simple fact is that many atheists challenge and fight against religion for its perceived dangers to society, but give a pass to alcohol despite being demonstrably many times more dangerous to society. That's being hypocritical, and so far no one has bothered to directly engage the point. Instead they hack away furiously and impotently at the rhetorical branches.

(06-01-2014 05:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  There is no merit to this discussion it is at best a non sequitor and more likely a red herring to get us away from questions he knows he can't answer.

It has nothing to do with getting away from other answers. It was a simple point on which everyone crawled out of the woodwork to challenge me. The point stands, and as soon as you or anyone else is ready to move on, let's have it.

My Blog
06-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Maybe I'm being pedantic, but none of those can be said to be trying to rid the "world" of religion. Also, I find it hard to believe that someone who makes a movie really thinks that he has any chance of ridding the world of religion by doing so. In my opinion, he was expressing his views. The same goes for Dawkins but hey, maybe they are deluded.

PS, I know I used the words "come across" but what I meant was met.
06-01-2014, 06:17 PM
(06-01-2014 06:08 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  As far as i know alcohol only affects the health of the person who drinks it.

Tell that to, among millions of others, a man in my neighborhood who lost his wife, daughter, and unborn child to a drunk driver despite never having touched alcohol once in their lives.

My Blog