[split] maklelan and others discuss evidence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2014, 07:33 PM
RE: [split] maklelan and others discuss evidence
(06-01-2014 07:11 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  .... but you were picking on the witch. Tongue

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
06-01-2014, 07:34 PM
(06-01-2014 07:11 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What the heck we arguing about anyway? Alcohol? That cannot be right... Angel

This was a tangential point within a broader conversation, although I forget exactly what it was about. I do apologize for derailing the thread.

My Blog
[+] 1 user Likes maklelan's post
06-01-2014, 07:36 PM
(06-01-2014 07:29 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 07:24 PM)joben1 Wrote:  But that's not what you said. You claimed that many atheists fight religion while giving a pass to the problems of alcohol.

Many give it a pass in the sense that they don't think it's an issue that needs any attention.

(06-01-2014 07:24 PM)joben1 Wrote:  I wonder how many of those that harangued you are religious.

One was an avowed atheist, but another was definitely a theist. Others, I can't say.

(06-01-2014 07:24 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Unless you mean 5 is many :-)

Well, you know how we do in America.

Oh it's an issue that needs attention alright. You just need to walk around any major city centre on a Saturday night in this country to realise that. I dare say you don't have this particular problem to anywhere near the same extent in the US
06-01-2014, 07:37 PM
(06-01-2014 07:29 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 07:24 PM)joben1 Wrote:  But that's not what you said. You claimed that many atheists fight religion while giving a pass to the problems of alcohol.

Many give it a pass in the sense that they don't think it's an issue that needs any attention.

You really need to come up with some citations on this shit.

And you also need to buy a fucking clue and give your bullshit strawman line of pseudo-argument.

06-01-2014, 07:40 PM
(06-01-2014 06:45 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 06:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  He makes a case for religion being, on balance, a negative to humanity.
So, yes, he says we'd be better off without it. The means he advocates is education.

Power and control were their goals, stomping on religion was merely one of the means.

I hear this assumption a lot, but if atheism was just a pretext for the League of Militant Atheists, whose explicitly stated goal was the abolishing of religion, I wonder why no one ever calls religion just a pretext for other religiously oriented nationalist and cultural groups incorporating parallel mechanisms and techniques.

I wonder why you assume that because in your limited experience you have never heard someone say it, that no one does.

What do you think the "Moral Majority", among countless other "religious" political groups, are/were?

06-01-2014, 07:49 PM
(06-01-2014 07:34 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 07:11 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What the heck we arguing about anyway? Alcohol? That cannot be right... Angel

This was a tangential point within a broader conversation, although I forget exactly what it was about. I do apologize for derailing the thread.

I don't think there was a thread to derail. There's some lively convo, though, thanks for that. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2014, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 08:00 PM by Chas.)
(06-01-2014 06:56 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 06:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  I believe any Mormon is delusional.

An empty and intelligence-insulting rhetorical jab.

(06-01-2014 06:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  And Muslims, and Christians, ...
"A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary. "

Good old Wikipedia. In reality, delusion is a pathology and is not nearly as simple as just changing your mind, and yet completely rational people enter and leave Mormonism all the time because of simple changes of mind. I suggest you actually study the psychology of religion, conversion, leave-taking, etc., before presuming to diagnose entire faith communities you've never met from behind your keyboard just because you find it has some rhetorically zing.

I'm sure you don't care for that word, or that definition for that word.

However, belief in those religions fit the definition "a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary." Use whatever word you like, but the definition fits.

I suppose the word you would choose is 'faith'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
06-01-2014, 07:55 PM
I'm quite impressed with maklelan.

He must have constructed one hell of a wall in his head to protect his faith from all his knowledge.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
06-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Did we get that hard-core proof of alcoholism attributed to atheism yet? Yes, I'm still reading the thread and I've just not seen that proven yet.
Anyone?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
06-01-2014, 09:27 PM
(06-01-2014 09:20 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Did we get that hard-core proof of alcoholism attributed to atheism yet? Yes, I'm still reading the thread and I've just not seen that proven yet.
Anyone?

No more than we have proof the LDS is the cause of strip mining and CO2 in the atmosphere, both of which are far more dangerous long term than alcohol.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post