[split] maklelan and others discuss evidence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2014, 10:57 PM
RE: [split] maklelan and others discuss evidence
(06-01-2014 10:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  Do you believe it would be socially and politically acceptable for the DSM to make religious belief a mental disorder?

You ignored my request after having your lie directly exposed. You're on ignore.

My Blog
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 10:58 PM
(06-01-2014 10:57 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 10:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  Do you believe it would be socially and politically acceptable for the DSM to make religious belief a mental disorder?

You ignored my request after having your lie directly exposed. You're on ignore.

You did no such thing - there was no lie on my part.

You are a prevaricating, equivocating, delusional ass.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
06-01-2014, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 11:04 PM by IndianAtheist.)
[Image: native-american-chief.jpg]
[Image: jewishMen_1494948c.jpg]
Guys look how "Middle eastern" and "Jewish" native Americans are! HA HA HA they don't look mongoloid or East Asian AT ALL!

and they descended from the same Jewish tribe ?? XD Oh God this is just beyond hilarious.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
[+] 1 user Likes IndianAtheist's post
06-01-2014, 11:01 PM
By the way, I don't think you're delusional at all. I used to believe lots of things I can only shake my head at now. For me it was indoctrination. I do notice from my observations of Mormons they seem to have perfected the practice. Very nice and helpful human beings by and large though.
06-01-2014, 11:06 PM
(06-01-2014 10:46 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  First let me admit that my knowledge of Mormonism is somewhat hobbyist, though I did read Under the Banner of Heaven (atheists will enjoy that one)! However I believe you said earlier in this thread that Mormons aren't required to hold to the BOM, D&C, PGP. Can you explain that?

I didn't say that, I just said I don't hold to a literalist reading.

(06-01-2014 10:46 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  In Christianity it amounts to cherry picking and hermeneutical gymnastics. What is the basis for theist beliefs if the holy books aren't trustworthy or intelligible?

Mormonism prioritizes prayer and personal revelation.

(06-01-2014 10:46 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  Is it personal experience, meaning there are millions of versions?

Versions of what?

(06-01-2014 10:46 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  I ask because an orthodox Mormon, as I understand it, is expected to believe in things like Kolob, your eventually becoming a god with your own universe, Jesus and satan as rival spirit brothers, Native Americans descend from ancient Israelites, Smith using a stone to translate Reformed Egyptian, Jesus will one day rule the earth from Jackson Co MO, etc.

These are the highlights one only finds in anti-Mormon litanies. These are not things Latter-day Saints really think or care much about.

(06-01-2014 10:46 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  These are claims that would make a mainstream Christian blush.

Which is just a result of cultural conditioning. For people without that conditioning, mainstream Christian claims are just as laughable. A talking donkey, the sun standing still, a flying man who is a different person but the same being as his father, and a dozen other things are no less silly.

(06-01-2014 10:46 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  You havent addressed your stance on Mormon doctrine. Let's have it, you believe these things or don't you?

I already explained my position on that.

My Blog
06-01-2014, 11:07 PM
(06-01-2014 10:20 PM)maklelan Wrote:  secret motivations atheists magically know that just happen to support their dogmatism?

YAY you proved you're an asshole. LMAO Just classic.

Thumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
06-01-2014, 11:07 PM
(06-01-2014 11:01 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  By the way, I don't think you're delusional at all. I used to believe lots of things I can only shake my head at now. For me it was indoctrination. I do notice from my observations of Mormons they seem to have perfected the practice. Very nice and helpful human beings by and large though.

Not an unreasonable assessment.

My Blog
06-01-2014, 11:08 PM
(06-01-2014 11:00 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  Guys look how "Middle eastern" and "Jewish" native Americans are! HA HA HA they don't look mongoloid or East Asian AT ALL!

and they descended from the same Jewish tribe ?? XD Oh God this is just beyond hilarious.

Uh, no, nobody's claiming that here.

My Blog
06-01-2014, 11:22 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 11:27 PM by IndianAtheist.)
(06-01-2014 11:08 PM)maklelan Wrote:  Uh, no, nobody's claiming that here.
just like how @Chas pointed out you're prevaricating.. you've already confessed being an LDS Mormon.

And according to Mormonism... Native americans come from a jewish tribe,whereas the DNA evidence points out that they came from east Asia and have jackshit to do with jews or anyone from middle east.

I don't like quoting myself but...
Quote:i'd even say that majority of the theists are just are blind to facts which disproves their beliefs

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
06-01-2014, 11:32 PM
(06-01-2014 10:55 PM)maklelan Wrote:  No, alcohol consumption is unilaterally and objectively a bad thing. It kills brain cells no matter what and produces a state of cognitive impairment, and that's just with moderate drinking. That it's fun and is therefore not bad is the subjective part.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. In any case, the issue is far from settled.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-condi...T-20048281

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post