spread the wealth policies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2012, 01:30 PM
spread the wealth policies
For those that believe in taxing the rich and give to the poor. Here is a perfect real life example of 50 years of democrats and unions running things. Eventually you run out of other peoples money to tax and spend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hhJ_49leBw
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like satan69's post
12-02-2012, 11:21 PM
RE: spread the wealth policies
You also set up the counter incentive cycle.
You are incentivized to do less than the average as the average falls.
Never works.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
13-02-2012, 12:32 AM
(12-02-2012 11:21 PM)Thomas Wrote:  You also set up the counter incentive cycle.
Never works.

Worse than de -incentivation, in my view, is the trickle down economics whereby gross greed de humanizes the masses, in various devious ways, ensuring their alienation, or insanity in succumbing to the garbage being fed them.

I am not claiming that this is the essence of capitalism; rather, a highly devious component part.
[+] 3 users Like Mr Woof's post
13-02-2012, 12:07 PM
(12-02-2012 11:21 PM)Thomas Wrote:  You also set up the counter incentive cycle.
Never works.

^^ This ^^

I have a couple of friends of mine, he has a good job and she's a stay home mom who'd really like to get a job, to feel she contributes more to the family than change dirty diapers. They went to a tax consultant and found out that if she does start working, they'd jump tax bracket, get hit with the AMT, and end up with less net money than if she just stayed home.

A system in which not working is more convenient than working is doomed.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
13-02-2012, 12:10 PM
(13-02-2012 12:07 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  
Never works.

^^ This ^^

I have a couple of friends of mine, he has a good job and she's a stay home mom who'd really like to get a job, to feel she contributes more to the family than change dirty diapers. They went to a tax consultant and found out that if she does start working, they'd jump tax bracket, get hit with the AMT, and end up with less net money than if she just stayed home.

Umm. Tax brackets are marginal. It's impossible to make more and take home less. Absolutely impossible.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
13-02-2012, 01:06 PM
(13-02-2012 12:10 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
Never works.

^^ This ^^

Umm. Tax brackets are marginal. It's impossible to make more and take home less. Absolutely impossible.

Have you actually had to pay AMT? There's nothing marginal about it.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
[+] 1 user Likes sy2502's post
13-02-2012, 01:44 PM
(13-02-2012 12:10 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Umm. Tax brackets are marginal. It's impossible to make more and take home less. Absolutely impossible.

Correct. The couple in question would take home a lower percentage of their earned income, but they wouldn't take home less money. At least that's how it works here in Canada, but I'm pretty sure it's the same way in the states.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
13-02-2012, 02:08 PM
(13-02-2012 01:06 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  
(13-02-2012 12:10 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
Never works.

^^ This ^^

Have you actually had to pay AMT? There's nothing marginal about it.

Having to pay at the end of the year doesn't make the tax rates non marginal. Just means you claimed too many deductions and less tax than required was paid throughout the year. When you jump tax brackets you don't pay the higher rate on all of your income. Just on any income earned in that tax bracket.

Check out the section near the top of the page titled Federal Income Tax Rates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_...vs._income

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain