stick your finger in a gun nozzle..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2014, 07:07 AM
stick your finger in a gun nozzle..
So... this guy who I don't take seriousy at all and is generally wrong about everything told me that if someone pointed a gun at you and you stuck you finger in the nozzle and said person fired the gun...

Yes... you would lose your finger but because the projectile wouldnt get a chance to accelerate like it normally would and leave the barrel properly so the gun would backfire also injuring the person holding the gun.

Is this just another load of horseshit coming out this idiots mouth?

Not like I'm considering putting my finger in a gun barrel. I just want to put this myth to rest.

I typed this on my tablet so forgive the typos...

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2014, 07:23 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 07:27 AM by Free Thought.)
RE: stick your finger in a gun nozzle..
(05-05-2014 07:07 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  So... this guy who I don't take seriousy at all and is generally wrong about everything told me that if someone pointed a gun at you and you stuck you finger in the nozzle and said person fired the gun...

Yes... you would lose your finger but because the projectile wouldnt get a chance to accelerate like it normally would and leave the barrel properly so the gun would backfire also injuring the person holding the gun.

Not like I'm considering putting my finger in a gun barrel. I just want to put this myth to rest.

The Mythbusters actually tested this (Episode 43) and, unsurprisingly, they found it was complete bogus.

As for the 'wouldn't get a chance to accelerate because it wouldn't leave the barrel', that's just silly!
I'm not a physics person, nor much of a gun guy, but I'm pretty sure that the bullet would have it's maximum momentum just after the propellant detonated anyway, so 'stopping it from leaving the barrel' logic is pretty flawed from the onset. bullet don't need to leave the barrel to have velocity and thus force.

Plus you'd get nasty powder burns from the muzzle flash just after the bullet ripped straight through your finger.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 5 users Like Free Thought's post
05-05-2014, 07:23 AM
(05-05-2014 07:07 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  So... this guy who I don't take seriousy at all and is generally wrong about everything told me that if someone pointed a gun at you and you stuck you finger in the nozzle and said person fired the gun...

He's wrong about this as well. The worst that would happen to the person firing the gun would be that they might get some of you on them when the gun was fired.

The bullet's highest velocity achieved occurs inside the barrel while it is being pushed by the expanding gasses. It starts losing velocity once it has left the barrel. So, in the hypothetical "finger in the barrel" situation, the bullet would be moving at its fastest about the same time it impacted the finger. The small bones and flesh in your finger would offer little resistance to the bullet and it would push straight through.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 4 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
05-05-2014, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 07:34 AM by sporehux.)
Can't see how it would backfire, but if you wedge the finger in real good the "finger cannon" would have to clear the flesh blood and bone from the barrel so maybe it would damage the barrel .(if it was very thin)

It would likely save your life at the cost of your hand if it was pointed at your head.

Apparently it wont do Frak all in a shotgun barrel.
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbu...ckfire.htm

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
05-05-2014, 09:34 AM
However - some makes of handgun can be prevented from loading a bullet into the chamber by wrapping your hand around the outside of the gun.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 4 users Like Hafnof's post
05-05-2014, 09:49 AM

So... encourage the guy to do it and film it for YouTube; tell him he'll be a star.

You don't want to miss the entry deadline for The Darwin Awards. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 8 users Like kim's post
05-05-2014, 01:34 PM
This sounds like a self defense technique inspired by Loony Tunes...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Sam's post
05-05-2014, 09:00 PM
So, do people get their lessons on physics and reality from looney toons all the time or just some of the time?
06-05-2014, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the responses. Laugh out load

It's funny how this sort of stuff which has no basis in reality can spread so far and wide.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
06-05-2014, 05:58 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 07:08 AM by itsnotmeitsyou.)
(06-05-2014 05:26 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Thanks for the responses. Laugh out load

It's funny how this sort of stuff which has no basis in reality can spread so far and wide.

Hello, You're on a site where we discuss religion... How is it surprising that idiotic blather with no basis in reality can spread far and wide? Tongue

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post