stick your finger in a gun nozzle..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2014, 07:05 AM
RE: stick your finger in a gun nozzle..
(06-05-2014 05:58 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 05:26 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Thanks for the responses. Laugh out load

It's funny how this sort of stuff which has no basis in reality can spread so far and wide.

Hello, You're on an athiest site... How is it surprising that idiotic blather with no basis in reality can spread far and wide? Tongue

You might want to re-word that. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-05-2014, 07:09 AM
(06-05-2014 07:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 05:58 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Hello, You're on an athiest site... How is it surprising that idiotic blather with no basis in reality can spread far and wide? Tongue

You might want to re-word that. Consider

yeah, I knew what I meant. I fixed it so that it's more clear I'm talking about religion, not atheism...

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
06-05-2014, 09:46 AM
A bullet accelerates as it travels down the barrel of a gun. As long as the force of the expanding gas exceeds the force of friction, the bullet will continue to accelerate until it leaves the barrel. A bullet will generally be traveling at its fastest as it leaves the muzzle; the so-called "Muzzle Velocity".

If you stick your finger in the muzzle of a gun, and it fires, you are losing that finger. And possibly your hand.

However, there is a bit of truth to the concept... If the barrel of a gun is obstructed, so that the bullet cannot leave, then the barrel turns into a pressure vessel. The gas will continue to expand, increasing pressure in the barrel. At that point it's just a matter of where the pressure vessel is weakest... At the obstruction? Then the obstruction gets blown out the muzzle. At the bolt face? Then the bolt will fly backwards and explosive hot gas will be sprayed backwards. At the walls of the barrel? Then the barrel will rupture and spray metal shards to one side.

Obstructing the barrel of a gun can cause it to "backfire" or explode. The problem is, your finger is not strong enough to A. stop a bullet, or B. withstand the 10,000+ PSI needed for the gun to fail before your finger does.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 3 users Like Phaedrus's post
06-05-2014, 09:49 AM
(05-05-2014 07:07 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  So... this guy who I don't take seriousy at all and is generally wrong about everything told me that if someone pointed a gun at you and you stuck you finger in the nozzle and said person fired the gun...

Yes... you would lose your finger but because the projectile wouldnt get a chance to accelerate like it normally would and leave the barrel properly so the gun would backfire also injuring the person holding the gun.

Is this just another load of horseshit coming out this idiots mouth?

Not like I'm considering putting my finger in a gun barrel. I just want to put this myth to rest.

I typed this on my tablet so forgive the typos...

Some folks just watch too many Bugs Bunny cartoons. Rolleyes

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-05-2014, 07:40 PM
I'll just leave this here...
[Image: Jellyfish_zpsabf7fd23.jpg]

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 3 users Like aurora's post
06-05-2014, 09:25 PM
the sad fact is that I actually might know someone who might have a small enough brain to believe the gun finger theory lol.
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
07-05-2014, 04:42 AM
I initially gave it some credibility, but then reasoned,
" If the gun can expel a metal object that is lodged in the barrel (AKA a Bullet) it will probably have little trouble with a squishy finger bone.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post