strait of hormuz

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
03-02-2012, 01:12 PM
RE: strait of hormuz
Iran isn't going to do anything. The only option they have is to do what the IAEA tell them to do. Their economy can't handle any more sanctioning and isolation from the rest of the world. And they won't use military action becasue the retaliation would be epic. They are proud but def not stupid.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2012, 01:31 PM
(03-02-2012 12:53 PM)iluvatar77 Wrote:  1 yes we were talking about iran
2 the source of your knowledge about what the muslims (from wherever) is far from the most accurate (fox news, common i prefer cnn or the christian channel)
3 is all your knowledge of islam, and the middle east based in web pages of doubtfull credibility?
just one last thing, iran has done nothing deserving a military strike, please do not support such an atrocity. no more genocide in the name of profit please

My knowledge of Islam and of the Middle East is from a wide variety of sources (e.g. books, friends and acquaintances from the ME) - I use on-line info to provide links in discussions like this.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Quote:The only option they have is to do what the IAEA tell them to do.
actually thats not true, and i hope they develop their nuclear energy program, they have the right to do so.
Quote:Their economy can't handle any more sanctioning and isolation from the rest of the world.
absolutely false, another piece of macroeconomics extracted from cnn, actually the latest sanctions are placing more pressure on europe than iran itself. most of iranian oil goes to russia, china, and india, and mediterranean countries in europe (greece, spain portugal). isolation only makes the actual regime stronger.
Quote:And they won't use military action becasue the retaliation would be epic. They are proud but def not stupid.
the only piont i agree with you, for the taking military action would be stupid, and if we see modern history they never have attacked any other country, unlike the US.
03-02-2012, 04:30 PM
(03-02-2012 04:14 PM)iluvatar77 Wrote:  
Quote:The only option they have is to do what the IAEA tell them to do.
actually thats not true, and i hope they develop their nuclear energy program, they have the right to do so.
Quote:Their economy can't handle any more sanctioning and isolation from the rest of the world.
absolutely false, another piece of macroeconomics extracted from cnn, actually the latest sanctions are placing more pressure on europe than iran itself. most of iranian oil goes to russia, china, and india, and mediterranean countries in europe (greece, spain portugal). isolation only makes the actual regime stronger.
Quote:And they won't use military action becasue the retaliation would be epic. They are proud but def not stupid.
the only piont i agree with you, for the taking military action would be stupid, and if we see modern history they never have attacked any other country, unlike the US.

I personally don't care what Iran does. But that doesn't mean that the IAEA and UN won't eventually shut them down. It's gonna happen and an Obama loss in November will only ensure that.

I don't watch CNN so your argument is invalid. And global sanctions against Iran could cripple them to the point of no return. You realize Iran doesn't even make it's own gas right?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
05-02-2012, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 04:34 PM by shiranl.)
(02-02-2012 09:30 AM)iluvatar77 Wrote:  mmm many things to say
1 the sanctions on iran are illegal and unethical
2 "If Iran close the the strait of Hormuz, they will actually impose a sanction on themselves- since oil is their only income. I love it when they threaten to burry themselves TongueP " shows ignorance on the consequences of the closing, and irrational hate to iran
3 although this forum due to its nature its inclined to free thinking, it seem that is true only for religion, in other themes i find the same fundamentalism and ignorance of churches and faiths

1. And it is legal or ethical to threaten to wipe off another country, and actually build a bomb in order to do so?
2. Hate? maybe, I haven't decided yet. Irrational? since I live in Israel for the past 20 years (guess my age....), since I'm serving in the IDF, since I'm probably the only one here whose life is actually in danger because of Iran- I don't think my alleged hate towards Iran is irrational. I think it is very rational to hate someone who's calling you and your country "cancer" under every fresh tree, I think it's very rational to hate someone who wants to wipe you off the map just because you don't get along with his psycho ideology, and I think it is very rational to hate someone who hates you back, and proud of it.

So yeah, if I hate Iran- my hate is very rational. maybe it's not healthy, maybe it doesn't contribute, and maybe it is very bad. But it is rational.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-02-2012, 08:23 PM
A lot of American fear of Iran is probably the result of propaganda and fear-mongering. That's the nature of news and diplomacy around the world, these days. I'd be surprised, though, if folks in Iran aren't dealing with even more propaganda and misinformation. We learn about other places through the words of other people, and powerful people have influence over those words. Again, the nature of news.

However, there is a thread of sound reasoning in wanting to avoid letting Iran develop nuclear tech.

First, you have to realize that Mahmoud Ahmedinejad is crazy. He is, for example, a 9/11 truther, believes that HIV was created by the West to oppress the 3rd world, and rejects, in spite of overpowering evidence, that the Nazis murdered millions of jews during WWII. I can understand why Iran's leader gets little slack on this forum. He's nuts.

Second, you also have to agree that development of nuclear energy is, traditionally, also development of nuclear weapons. The US Department of Energy conducted nuclear weapons tests throughout the 20th century. The goal of the post-cold-war era has been nonproliferation, so development of nuclear energy must needs be tightly regulated to prevent the further proliferation of nuclear weapons.

Third, you don't give the crazy guy the launch codes. This is why people are so skeptical of the Iranian nuclear program. The crazy guy isn't going to stop at nuclear energy, and then when he has the bomb we have no idea what he's going to do. Because he's crazy.
[+] 1 user Likes rook2004's post
20-02-2012, 06:03 AM
Power!

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea