stray thought

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2011, 06:39 PM

stray thought
just a thought, please refute this if only so I know, but here's a thought..
If hell is real, and it's where I go to be put through eternal torment and pain etc, then that's dependant on what those states are to me (I can withstand more pain than some and less 'torment' than others etc). But as of being on this Earth I can honestly say, and I've thought about this, that if I were to spend an eternity in the presence of people like some of the fundamental religious folks I've heard and sometimes conversed with, the sort that when lead to an innevitable conclusion deny it because of their faith, and unquestioningly follow that despite any and all evidence to disprove a single sentence of it, that that would be torture and genuine torment.
I'm not trying to satirise it, but I haven't come across physical pain on Earth that I have not been able to deal with, whereas the fundamental religous mind continues to grate.
so 2 questions- 1) am I simply innexperienced or not had enough exposure to this way of thinking that it still leaves a mark, and 2) is there a way in which my personal hell as outlined above could be avoided in the religious mind, because if not, then it neccessitates christians and Atheists like me BOTH being in hell, meaning that my actions make theirs irrelivant. I hope thats all clear, as I say, just a thought...
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2011, 06:57 PM
RE: stray thought
(08-03-2011 06:39 PM)t0mg0v1er Wrote:  just a thought, please refute this if only so I know, but here's a thought..
If hell is real, and it's where I go to be put through eternal torment and pain etc, then that's dependant on what those states are to me (I can withstand more pain than some and less 'torment' than others etc). But as of being on this Earth I can honestly say, and I've thought about this, that if I were to spend an eternity in the presence of people like some of the fundamental religious folks I've heard and sometimes conversed with, the sort that when lead to an innevitable conclusion deny it because of their faith, and unquestioningly follow that despite any and all evidence to disprove a single sentence of it, that that would be torture and genuine torment.
I'm not trying to satirise it, but I haven't come across physical pain on Earth that I have not been able to deal with, whereas the fundamental religous mind continues to grate.
so 2 questions- 1) am I simply innexperienced or not had enough exposure to this way of thinking that it still leaves a mark, and 2) is there a way in which my personal hell as outlined above could be avoided in the religious mind, because if not, then it neccessitates christians and Atheists like me BOTH being in hell, meaning that my actions make theirs irrelivant. I hope thats all clear, as I say, just a thought...

I refute it thusly.

All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
-- It keeps me warm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Another bot ?
What - no vacuum cleaner pictures this time ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
08-03-2011, 10:00 PM
What? Is he a bot?
Anyway, the religious do not find their own company to be so bad as what a non-religious person would, so to them heaven would simply be heaven. Hell is supposed to be much worse than earthly suffering you know...

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
08-03-2011, 10:18 PM

I would say that your personal hell (not that there is one) would consist of creationists trying to convert you.

You make the assumption that pain is physical, but I think that you are disregarding the power of emotional pain.
08-03-2011, 10:35 PM

The whole thing is laughable.

They claim you should believe in God, because if you don't, you're going to Hell. But if you don't believe in God, then it sort of follows that you don't believe in Hell, so what exactly am I supposed to fear?
08-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Wait...

What makes this a bot?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.