struggling...(long bio)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2013, 10:51 PM
struggling...(long bio)
Like the title says, this is gonna b kinda long so don't say I didn't warn u. Anyway, I've been struggling with the big questions lately. I'm not exactly new to atheism. Ive been religion free for about three years now but lately I just can't get my mind off this stuff.
Reality just seems so cold and dry. And our entire existence is really pointless. Life has only what ever meaning u decide to give it. And I can't seem to give any reason or meaning to mine. I'm just a spec of dust in this universe, the size of which is difficult for me to fathom. I'm alive just because.. and its depressing.
I've heard all the usual answers: " join a club" " pick up a hobby" " ect...". But it's not that simple. On the outside you wouldn't even know that I think about these things. I'm a full time student and work a part time job. I stay plenty busy but, like I said, I don't see a point to any of this.
I still hold on to some hope that I'll find something one day. And that I won't lay on my death bed thinking my life was worthless. I wish I didn't think about any of this. That I was a normal person that could just live their life and enjoy "all the little things". But I can't. I feel like our society is a giant machine of which I'm just one of billions of gears. And once I've served my purpose I'll b yanked out out of the machine and replaced by two new gears.
I was wondering if anybody here felt the same way or had any helpful suggestions?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like nobody's post
07-04-2013, 11:52 PM
RE: struggling...(long bio)
The following is from DLJ:

The PURPOSE of life is to pass on our DNA (from Darwin)
The MEANING of life is the experience of living (from Frank Herbert)
The VALUE of life is the legacy we leave behind (from observation)

My personal suggestion is to find a girl who loves you and whom you love.

Want something? Then do something.
07-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Where you are today, is where your mind put you.

Where you are tomorrow, is where your mind will put you
[+] 1 user Likes DerekS's post
08-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Yup, I feel the same. I'm not very sad about it and don't need a god to feel significant, neither a purpose. Truth or reality is the only thing that matters to me. However, sometimes need to feel that my efforts are leading somewhere. Let's face it, we are just struggling for our survival, trying to trick our fate for as long as we can. There's no grace or big philosophy in it. But, in a pathetic sense, I find the absurdity of existence quite amusing. It feels like I'm taking part in a puppet show, where everybody plays just a damn role. Guess that curiosity is what makes me to want to go further, seek deeper, trying to reach a new level. It's refreshing to see that every day I learn something new. I think that realizing that I'm just a fucking dumb ape is what still keeps me alive. Laughat

Well, fuck all this shit... let's evolve, and see what happens. At least, we give it a try.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
[+] 1 user Likes Chaos's post
08-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Oh, I searched like heck for the purpose of life in my late teens and early twenties.

What a waste of time that was.

I think you are questioning mostly the point of your working so hard, and you have a lot on your shoulders with school and job.

The purpose of that is to lay a groundwork for the rest of your life - which will find it's own purposes (plural) as you go.

Actually, laying the groundwork is the hardest part, with the least vision of the future and the most consuming efforts.

Once you are done with school - then it's time to spread your wings and find the path for yourself... and, oh, the possibilities...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
08-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Yes, life can seem that way.

You've got two choices:-

1. Go through life thinking 'what's the point?' OR
2. Make it as fun and worthwhile as you can for the limited time you have on this 3rd rock from the sun.

Hint: Choose number 2 Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
08-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks for all your opinions. This was actually pretty helpful. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes nobody's post