stuckness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2017, 07:36 PM
RE: stuckness
thank you....

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2017, 03:03 AM
Could be an addiction. After all, we can get addicted to literally everything. People, things, foods, drugs, behaviours, etc.
Then again it could be just an obsession with those things.
Or it could be boredom that is being filled with those activities.

I'd start with some simple questions and you don't have to answer. Just think about them:
Now I don't know your age or whatever so trying to keep this very general
1. How do you feel when you are at school / work and you cannot play video games / watch youtube or TV?
2. Can you think and focus on your home work / assignements / chores?
3. Do you ever forget about video games / youtube / TV when you do something else (like when you work out or whatever)?
4. Do you have friends to share activities with?
5. Are you ever going out?
6. Do you have hobbies that do not require a screen / monitor? (playing an instrument, a sport, crafting, handy work, building stuff, camping, etc)

Just by answering these for yourself, you might already find your answer.
Some things are also simple behavioral things.
For example watching YouTube until you fall asleep and then not be able to get up in the morning?
Set an alarm in the evening (maybe around 11pm or so) and start your bed time routine. Go to bed. Phone face down and notifications and vibrations off.
Set another alarm in the morning to get up and do get up.
Set your third alarm 5 minutes before you need to leave the house.
Following the alarms will be your crutch for a while. And at some point you won't need the evening and leaving alarms any more.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
03-07-2017, 08:51 AM
what's really getting to me is the lack of other things I'm getting done. I mean I do things with consequences attached to them at the latest possible juncture but besides that I got my go to thing and that's it... despite having 80 games several books that need to be red {a lot} and books I want to write... but there I am doing the same thing every day. yes i think your questions will help.

03-07-2017, 09:56 AM
(02-07-2017 07:10 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  would you cal this person addicted???

I would also look at it as a sign of depression. Which based on other things in this thread (though I haven't read them all) seems to me to be highly likely. Though I could be wrong.

For instance, personally the more depressed and hopeless my situation is the more time I spend in video games and other escape activities *youtube* I'm very aware of it when it happens, I get to the point I start lying (like telling people I've applied for jobs when in reality I just... haven't... It's not lazy it's hopelessness, and given my current situation is something I have to actively attempt to combat), I'll also get.... quiet ignoring real people, putting things off, to the point I struggle to do simple life maintenance things like eating and cleaning.

If any of these other things sound even remotely similar I would suggest you look into fixing depression. And while meds can help at times, from all I've seen and learned depression is largely environmental, even if your life seems perfect, clearly something is wrong with your environment (as opposed to something being wrong with you), or you wouldn't feel depressed. Personally I think it's very rare for someone to get depressed for no reason. That reason could be a chemical imbalance but it's rare I think. Usually I think people have damn good reasons for being depressed, anything from having a shitastic family that makes you feel like you'd be better off an orphan, to the realization your life is no where near the goals you have deep inside. But I'm a puzzle solver, more prone to action than blindly wallowing in my emotions, so that's how I view these topics and if my personal analysis helps any, then I'm happy to be of service.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
03-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Mathews....{the person who prescribes my mental health meds} dosen't think I am depressed. she also dosen't think I get hypomanic and I do both. I am thinking about getting a better psychologist. she is not really good at her job.