student tries to use religion as excuse to not work with female students

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2014, 06:34 AM
student tries to use religion as excuse to not work with female students
I think the professor did the right thing, the legal department seems to disagree.

Your thoughts?

York University

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2014, 06:57 AM
Re: student tries to use religion as excuse to not work with female students
If they let people who say their religion is kopimism to plagiarize based on their religious right, then you can allow someone to exaggerate their religion tenants for other reasons.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
09-01-2014, 08:02 AM
RE: student tries to use religion as excuse to not work with female students
(09-01-2014 06:34 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I think the professor did the right thing, the legal department seems to disagree.

Your thoughts?

York University

I agree with you. Were I the prof., I would tell him he will get no credit for that part of the course.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Professor Grayson Wrote:York is a secular university. It is not a Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, or Moslem university. In our policy documents and (hopefully) in our classes we cling to the secular idea that all should be treated equally, independent of, for example, their religion or sex or race.
“Treating Mr. X equally would mean that, like other students, he is expected to interact with female students in his group.

I agree with this. You are more than welcome to set limits on your own life however you wish, but you can't make everyone else comply. If this student feels like he can't participate due to his own conviction, he shouldn't have applied to York in the first place.
[+] 3 users Like Khare's post
09-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Haggard's Law.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
09-01-2014, 08:30 AM
I wonder if this is the same liberal mentality that Sam Harris talks about when he gets people telling him that the way women are treated in masogynistic societies is right within their context and we can't say they're wrong to do so because it would just be our preference.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
09-01-2014, 09:37 AM
The student has bent pretty far to comply with their religion. He has taken this course by correspondence rather than turning up in person, and presumably this made his studies somewhat difficult. It doesn't seem crazy to bend just a little here and give him the same opportunity to participate as other remote students were offered.

If the student lied and said he was too remote to turn up he would have been given another assignment. Is it really so difficult to remove this roadblock? I support the professor writing an extremely critical letter back to the student, but I also support the Dean's decision to give the student an alternative assignment that is already prepared and available.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
09-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Yeah I went to nightschool with a Pakistani who refused to take courses and exams in subjects for which the teachers were women.

He got kicked out of school.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 6 users Like The Germans are coming's post
09-01-2014, 10:05 AM
It's against my religion to do any work and yet no one will hire me. This is clear discrimination.

But seriously, if the student is taking online classes, he could have simply said, I'm currently working abroad at the moment and can't fulfill the in person work group requirement.
Can I get an alternate work assignment or perhaps work with the group through a webcam to give my input on the project ?

He did this to make a statement and wanted to set a precedent for denying women a place in a social meeting group based on religious objections.

These kinds of requests must be denied.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
09-01-2014, 10:12 AM
(09-01-2014 08:29 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Haggard's Law.

fixt. Angel

All I can think of is that if your religion is excuse to not work with women, your religion is fucked up. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post