student tries to use religion as excuse to not work with female students

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2014, 10:16 AM
RE: student tries to use religion as excuse to not work with female students
(09-01-2014 06:34 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I think the professor did the right thing, the legal department seems to disagree.

Your thoughts?

York University

I agree with you.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2014, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 10:55 AM by War Horse.)
Gotta agree with the professor, I'm sick and tired of these religitards trying to get everyone around them to conform to their paticular beliefs.

I hope the student doesnt get a chance to procreate, Darwin would not be pleased.
09-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Or you could give him a reply

"We have moved you to a group of all men, since you say your religion forbids you from meeting with women. All of the men in your group are cross dressers and will appear to be women. Hope you have a productive meeting"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
09-01-2014, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 11:09 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
There will always be intolerance so long as people are willing to pander to it.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

09-01-2014, 10:58 AM
I agree with the prof. First, if this guy's religion prevents him from working with women he's going to have a very hard time in the world. Better get used to it now. Second, this attitude of the marginalization and discrimination against women can not be allowed to continue. Don't care if it is his religion, it's wrong and should not be tolerated.
09-01-2014, 11:02 AM
This wouldn't even be an issue if he had e.g. said that he refuses to work with North Americans, asexuals or Hindus...
09-01-2014, 01:13 PM
I'm not even sure why the professor took it up with the dean. This seems like a blatant case of discrimination.
Add to that the possibility that the student is bullshitting them for getting out of the course (he wasn't required to state his specific religion) any student could do this. VERY slippery slope.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
09-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Just for future record, I happen to be allergic to things I don't like to do... Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
09-01-2014, 01:48 PM
(09-01-2014 10:40 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Gotta agree with the professor, I'm sick and tired of these religitards trying to get everyone around them to conform to their paticular beliefs.

I hope the student doesnt get a chance to procreate, Darwin would not be pleased.

but he can't do that his religion forbids interactions with women
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
09-01-2014, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 02:34 PM by Ohio Sky.)
I fully support the rights of any and all religions and faiths to practice as they see fit and live their lives according to their faith. But once their faith starts intruding on another's right to do the same, a line must be drawn. This is the problem with religious tolerance- no one is willing to draw that line. The rights of the loud and religious constantly overshadow all others because no one will stand up for the rights of those in the minority, or who just aren't obnoxious enough to be heard.

It's so frustrating to me that every religious zealot feels they have some sort of god given right to discriminate against every other group because their blind faith is right and the other guys blind faith isn't.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
[+] 1 user Likes Ohio Sky's post